Home Cigar 101

Humidor Mod question

NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
I have a (30-40 count) Humidor. Basic cheapo one. I hated the Humidifier that it came with and ended up getting something similar to the container with beads (they seem more rock like that puff up when wet). Small round container, kinda like the humidifier it had. The old Humidifier was affixed to the top under the lid. The new one I have had a magnet on the bottom... kinda useless cause the inside of the box is wood, not metal. Well, i have it laying against the side of the humi, on the bottom, but it does take up space, and larger cigars dont have much room (churchills and such). Any ideas on how to affix it to the bottom of the lid where the old one was? Will double face tape work, or does that not stick to wood well enough?

Comments

• NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    OK... thinking about that, double face tape wont work, due to the fact that I need to be able to remove it to refill with water!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Fina a thin metal plate, and use outdoor carpet tape to attach it to the top of the humi, let it sit for 24 hours, then attach via the magnet the humidifyer.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    Velcro works well.  You can get little strips at Home Depot with sticky on one side.  Stick one part of the velcro to your humidor and the other part to the humidifier.
    cabinetmaker:
    Fina a thin metal plate, and use outdoor carpet tape to attach it to the top of the humi, let it sit for 24 hours, then attach via the magnet the humidifyer.
    Beautiful! Will work on that this week! Thanks :) Will be getting a large Humi eventually. ... .. starting to collect at this point...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i will personally never attach anything to the top of a humidor ever again.
    kuzi16:
    Something fall off onto the cigars?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yea humidity wreaks havoc on any kind of tape and eventually your humidifer falls and lands on your cigars and viola! mold ...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    NYHCx516x:
    kuzi16:
    that and i dont like the way it looks
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:

I had a humidification unit like that. I filled it with my heartfelt beads... I had a few drinks one night and just wanted to check the saturation of the beads, so I grabbed the container and the magnets on the back never let go and POP... I spilled all my beads all over my humi...

Now I have a little spanish cedar box with some plastic lining it... I totally jacked the idea from the great and powerful Oz!! I mean Kuz!!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Yea, I personally have a small ledge for the heartfelts on the bottom section of mine, and the smaller 4 ounce tubes for each drawer; not to mention the large corded humidifier sitting on the bottom. The reason I specified outdoor carpet tape is it is designed for humid/wet environments.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    WaxingMoon:
    Velcro works well.  You can get little strips at Home Depot with sticky on one side.  Stick one part of the velcro to your humidor and the other part to the humidifier.
    The only reason I don't like the velcro idea is because you have to pull the puck off with some force to get the velcro to let go and after a while you end up pulling the velcro attached to the lid off. That's what ended up happening to mine and I still need to find a more permanent solution to fix this problem.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    NYHCx516x:
    kuzi16:
    that and i dont like the way it looks

sOUNDS LIKE THERE IS A STORY HERE.
  • I tend to use the whole magnet setup. Ive tried Velcro but that ends up turning into a pain in the ass by ripping off the velcro after awhile and itll take a thin layer of the finish and/or wood with it. When it comes to the magnet side it just makes life a whole lot easier and managable.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'm with Kuzi on this one. I don't attach anything to my lids anymore. I have one desktop humi with a magnet holding a hygrometer that is very thin and lightweight. I haven't had any problems with it and don't foresee any, but that is the only thing I have on my lids anymore.