Home Cigar 101

seasoning

gmcgmc Posts: 21
what should the hygrometer read after proper seasoning!

Comments

• smokey64smokey64 Posts: 6
    im no expert (yet) but rh depends on various factors ,how often the humi is open, the type of media is used, temp, from what Ive read and been told 65 to 70 is best and its your choice. i try to keep my rh at 65 but that's just me
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Your preference, anywhere to from 60 to 70 is fine.If you search, you'll see that people have different opinions.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine hovers around 68-70. My humidity jar is set for a constant 70. When it gets cooler it lowers a bit.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • gmcgmc Posts: 21
    thks Ive had some gars come apart after lighting so I reseasoned it it was at 72-3 now its at 70 maybe that was the prob. Im new at this and I have some pricey gars I dont want to loose.
    For me, 70 is too high. Some people think that will give you burn problems.
    Ya I just have a humidifier u add gar juice to. My humidor is a glass top 50 stick w/48-9 sticks. Im just getting a good start, Iv smoked gars before but a friend just recently put me onto this site which has been awesome much to the dismay of my wife, who will get over it soon.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've come to the right place. If your humi was already 72-73% reseasoning won't do anything, you may need to take your humidifier out until it drops back down to your desired level. If you got any cedar cigar boxes you can break them up and put pieces in it to absorb some of the humidity. What kind of humidifier do you have? If it's what came with the humi you'll want to get that swapped out they don't regulate humidity very well and will mold up eventually.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 50 count one boveda pack or a large bead puck or some kitty litter will work just dandy.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hope she'll get over it, some sticks do better at different Rh's, I have some that will NOT smoke at or above 70. I keep different humi's at different Rh but as a rule I try to keep everything below 68 Rh. Trial and error, I believe the temp comes into play as well.
    its a southport small glass top i bought on a sprint. Some of the lite wrapers are unwraping when i use them! or cracking open
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmc:
    its a southport small glass top i bought on a sprint. Some of the lite wrapers are unwraping when i use them! or cracking open
    Yep that sounds like overly humidified cigars if they are cracking like that.
    I thought so got save em wifes givin me the evil eye!!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmc:
    I thought so got save em wifes givin me the evil eye!!
    Welcome, gmc, it appears you're going to fit in
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    my humi has dropped from 70 to 60 to 50 do I need a better humi with sure seal. I have a south port small glass top 50 stick which is currently full I just put a humi care rectangular in it instead of the puck will this help or am I doing something wrong!
    Put it in cup/glass/container full of water and shut it for a few days. Have you checked the seal?
    A week ago I reseasoned cause I didnt do it right when i got it. it has been at 60 this week I keep it in a file cabinet drawer but its gotten warmer outside and ive been using the air conditioner. Ive been told a humi with magnetic seal is best. Im new to all this and I just dont know.
    Well, temp plays a big part. This is the general rule I follow.If it's low, add water. If it'd high, leave it open til RH is where you want it. You're seasoning, so you should really leave it shut for a while.What type of humidification are you using?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont know if this plays into it or not...but keep in mind a smaler humi will take longer to get back to its target rh rh after opening.

seems like the humicare rectangle should be all you need for that size.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    A rectangular humidi care crystal
    Ya I close it quickly as i can I didnt know taking care of these could be so demanding!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper seasoning will help in the long run... also, is it still full of cigars or did you take them out? In that size humidor, cigars are your #1 stabilizing source
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I guess Im just paranoid about loosing my gars cause I dont know to proper range they should be stored at!
    they are in it. I only get into it once or twice a day
    I'm kinda pissed off at Boveda right now but I still would recommend that you get two of the boveda packs. They run about $4 or $5 a piece but are so precise that that's what I would recomend you do now to get your RH stable. If you use your jar humidifier together with the 65% RH boveda packets that will help the bovedas last a long time & I think you will be happy with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHg62WMQ1w

Some of what Charlie says in his video is BS designed to scare you away from other products, but the Boveda product does work really well at precisely holding your desired RH (Relative Humidity) Level. They make different packets that hold different RH. 69% or 65% and others are available too.
    I'm mad at beads.They're too small.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    I use my special herbs and spices. place in the oven and Voila a beautiful Salmon. Oh this is not the what you had tonight thread. LOL. Take your new humi. Place a bowl of distilled water in it. with a sponge. I also place the KL i will use so it has time to stabilize and close the box for 72 hrs. No peeking. You'll like what you get.
    do these need a holder or do the just lay in with the gars
    If you're asking about the Boveda packets, I'm thinking it's ok if they lay on the cigars with cellophane, but not as sure about non-cellophane wrapped sticks. (Someone else chime in about this please. Maybe it's OK but I can't recall.) I've always laid them on top of my cigars or down beside the cigars but you need to try to keep one side of the bag exposed to the air inside the humi so the bag can do it's thing. Boveda does make a little cedar rack to hold the bags and the rack can be mounted on the underside of the lid or along the side if it's deep enough, but you can get by without a rack.
    Dangit! Nobody, none of us, has asked if he was trusting the analog hygrometer. Sorry, but we should be ashamed that this hasn't been mentioned :( Very few of us trusts analog hygrometers. If that's what you are going by so far then your readings could be off.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like my RH on the higher side because of two things: 1. I am in and out of my humidors so when it's open it will lose bit of RH. 2. I like my cigars to thrive in the same environment they are used to so I tend to try and keep them around 68% and when I smoke them I usually wait a day before...this tends to settle them down and dry out just a bit. Some cigars smoke really bad at higher RH but you have to know from experience which ones do and which ones don't.