Home Cigar 101
Options

sticking a box away on the shelf

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
So let's say you tried a couple out of a box, and you figure they need some time. Box looks fairly well made. So you want to put this box to bed six or eight months. You know that new kind of plastic wrap that sticks to itself? Say you stuck a humidipak or two where the sticks you fliched used to be, you wrap it up with several layers of that stuff, and you set it away on the shelf. Once a month or so you open it up to stir the contents. Would that work?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    I am in no way an expert on this, but I think that should work perfectly. That wrap is air tight, especially if you do a couple layers, so you should be good. If it can be used in the restaurant industry to keep smells/odors from blending, then I think it can seal in the air moisture also.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see why not. I know wrap like Saran Wrap breathes so might not want to use that but a couple gallon sized ziplock bags should work just dandy.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    So let's say you tried a couple out of a box, and you figure they need some time. Box looks fairly well made. So you want to put this box to bed six or eight months. You know that new kind of plastic wrap that sticks to itself? Say you stuck a humidipak or two where the sticks you fliched used to be, you wrap it up with several layers of that stuff, and you set it away on the shelf. Once a month or so you open it up to stir the contents. Would that work?

What I have done is place the water pillow ( I use two ) in the box, get a large zip lock bag and place the cigar box in that bag along with another water pillow. Then I open the zip lock every week or so for a breath of fresh air. I don't know if that is the best possible thing to do, but it has worked for me.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Storage is all about the environment it stays in. Shrink wrapping won't hurt or help the process as you want to ensure that whatever you use...wood humidor...tupperador....vino...cooler will have a RH of 60 - 70% to ensure that the cigars thrive. I have a 120 quart cooler than I have boxes of my cigars in...they sit at 65% and have been in there for a year or longer. I like for the cigars to stay in the box so they can marinate in the cedar and I have the entire bottom and sides lined with cedar sheets...when you open that coolerador all you smell is that sweet aroma of cedar.