Home General Discussion

Drink with Cigar

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
As of late I have been really disappointed with how my cigars are tasting. Just coudn't figure out why? Then the other afternoon I smoked a stogie with a tall glass of El Dorado rum and coke. WOW, what a difference a good drink can do with a cigar. Never thought anything of it. But it sure helps!!!

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    It does make a big difference. Many people don't drink anything but water and I tried that for a long time as I was just getting serious into cigars. Eventually I realized it had a worsening effect on the flavor for me especially towards the end of the smoke. Now I stick with coffee, tea, or beer.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    bbass2:
    It does make a big difference. Many people don't drink anything but water and I tried that for a long time as I was just getting serious into cigars. Eventually I realized it had a worsening effect on the flavor for me especially towards the end of the smoke. Now I stick with coffee, tea, or beer.

And Coke, don't forget Coke. A good root beer once in a while too. Some like a good scotch but I find that I lose flavor in the scotch and maybe in the cigar too but definitely in the scotch.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Some sticks I like something kind of citrusy, like Sprite or 7-up.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Only Root Beer for me...and there really isn't a suitable substitute if that is not available.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Dr pepper all the way, but I do like my mixed drinks ( rum and cream soda, whiskey n coke, of whiskey gingers)
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    Brandy works for me.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Pairing a drink is especially nice when it's a stick youve had many times. Coke is one of my favorites, alomg with bourbon straight or with ginger ale, or sometimes a cold corona with lime. Mmmmm
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, a good drink can make the experience of smoking a cigar much more enjoyable.
    But then again, a "bad" drink (if the drink/cigar flavors clash) can do more harm than good and ruin the experience ...

It's a balancing act.

My "go to" drinks lately have been:
    Water (room temperature)
    Lemonade, limeade, or iced tea (great for these warm summer days).
    Coffee, espresso, etc. (especially nice with a mild smoke in the morning)
    Beer (when grilling with a cigar)
    Old fashioned (good with a cigar after dinner)
    Mojito (a refreshing drink to go with an afternoon smoke)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Yep, a good drink can make the experience of smoking a cigar much more enjoyable.
    But then again, a "bad" drink (if the drink/cigar flavors clash) can do more harm than good and ruin the experience ...

It's a balancing act.

My "go to" drinks lately have been:
    Water (room temperature)
    Lemonade, limeade, or iced tea (great for these warm summer days).
    Coffee, espresso, etc. (especially nice with a mild smoke in the morning)
    Beer (when grilling with a cigar)
    Old fashioned (good with a cigar after dinner)
    Mojito (a refreshing drink to go with an afternoon smoke)

We have got to hang out sometime! Those are all on my list as well! However, this recent diet has killed my choices so lately it has just been crystal light lemonade, but still really good!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Since the early 90's I've enjoyed a drink that enhances the smoke off just about any cigar I smoke. A good libation will take the cigar to the next step and allow it to present a good finish on the palate so we pick up tastes that we might ordinarily miss when we smoke. Sometimes if a cigar has too much spice or pepper it needs something to take it down and that usually means something that leaves a coating on the tongue....Amarula is one of those drinks I usually will have with my cigars esp. when I know that the profile tends to be full bodied or rich in spices and pepper. Amarula is much like Baileys only better and when sipped it compliments a cigar very well. I also like Drambuie with my cigars...it's been a staple for me since the mid 70's and these two drinks along with the occasional ice tea in the summer really helps keep the taste of cigars at a high level.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Cigary:
    Since the early 90's I've enjoyed a drink that enhances the smoke off just about any cigar I smoke. A good libation will take the cigar to the next step and allow it to present a good finish on the palate so we pick up tastes that we might ordinarily miss when we smoke. Sometimes if a cigar has too much spice or pepper it needs something to take it down and that usually means something that leaves a coating on the tongue....Amarula is one of those drinks I usually will have with my cigars esp. when I know that the profile tends to be full bodied or rich in spices and pepper. Amarula is much like Baileys only better and when sipped it compliments a cigar very well. I also like Drambuie with my cigars...it's been a staple for me since the mid 70's and these two drinks along with the occasional ice tea in the summer really helps keep the taste of cigars at a high level.

I like the it myself. Not always with all cigars though. I keep 2 Brandys, a Campari and Blackberry Brandy in the lounge just for pairing depending on what I'm smoking. The 2 Brandys are a Napolean and a Spanish Brandy. Mornings I may have coffee or Campari as a pairing.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have to add Tazo tea with honey to the list. Tupelo honey if you can get it, orange blossom goes well with connecticuts, buckwheat honey goes well with maduros.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Crown royal , crown royal maple, and jack Daniels are some of my favorite pairs . They're even better with a splash of coke.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I like a fuller bodied beer, bourbon, coffee , and Dr Pepper... tea just seems to waste the flavors of the cigar.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    +1 on Dr. Pepper. My favorite thing to pair with a cigar when I'm not drinking alcohol. However, I don't go with that pairing too often because I'm using drinking alcohol with my cigar lol. Beer (something lighter in the summer, but I love Guiness in the winter with a nice spicy cigar), mojito, dark n stormy, bourbon or scotch and water.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    You sir are a connoisseur of a very high order. Brandy is most delicious and I've recently decided to start down that expensive road. Coffee is another libation suited for mid morning cigars on the balcony of a big cruise ship.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    I like a fuller bodied beer, bourbon, coffee , and Dr Pepper... tea just seems to waste the flavors of the cigar.
    I should have specified the "Chai" from Tazo, spiced and strong.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    macs-smokes:
    I should have specified the "Chai" from Tazo, spiced and strong.
    +1 to Amos.
    Chai Tea is another great drink to have with a cigar. It's a nice substitute for coffee IMO

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *