Home Pipes

Non aromatics help

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So for some of you pipe vets out there, I'm looking at trying some no aromatic tobacco. Since I smoke the pipe indoors (as the wife and even myself don't like cigars stinking the house up) so there needs to be a nice aroma both while smoking and the lasting effects. Now that's about it. I'm still getting the hang of packing so anything that won't be a *** to keep going would be nice. Anyway I am down for suggestions or favs you all might have. I heard of the frog stuff, which I might try. Sounds good, just needs to meet the aroma test.

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Take your wife to a B&M and try some of the house blends. Let her first sniff the container before trying. They will be glad to accommodated you. My house smells like a pipe shop. LOL but everyone loves the ambiance. I'll bet she picks a cherry blend. Lane Ltd. BLWB is about as bland as you can get for aromatic. (non) but spouses tend to complain. Aromatic pipe tobacco is not like your cigars. LOL If you can get the Mfg and name by which they order it you can then go on line and save a bundle.
    Making her part of the decision process is the biggest part of the battle.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah we went there and I got a couple of them, they weren't all that great. Seemed pretty dry. She did like the aromatic ones though. But I'm trying to get off of them for a bit.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah we went there and I got a couple of them, they weren't all that great. Seemed pretty dry. She did like the aromatic ones though. But I'm trying to get off of them for a bit.

House blends are usually just Altadis bulk that are renamed. Some like them, I do not care for most of them, still they might be worth trying.

A traditional smoke that the wife likes? That could be difficult. Does she smoke too, that would have a big effect on your choices IMO.

I really like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes which is a great VA/Bur that has a good room note that might work. If she smokes some English blends that are light on the Lat. might be OK if not avoid them all together. Let us know either way, more suggestions can be made.

Oh, what do you like right now? That too could help.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    You already mentioned it, but my best advice is the Frog Morton line. They passed the same test at my house. I'm not as experienced as many on the forum, but if I come across anything that might work for you I'll let you know.
    thanks guys. yeah she doesn't smoke just me. I'll try those mentioned.
    J.S.:
    phobicsquirrel:
    House blends are usually just Altadis bulk that are renamed. Some like them, I do not care for most of them, still they might be worth trying. A traditional smoke that the wife likes? That could be difficult. Does she smoke too, that would have a big effect on your choices IMO. I really like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes which is a great VA/Bur that has a good room note that might work. If she smokes some English blends that are light on the Lat. might be OK if not avoid them all together. Let us know either way, more suggestions can be made. Oh, what do you like right now? That too could help.

Not so. Alot are Lane Ltd. Also on my supplier's list is McClelland who makes Frog Morton and there are about 68 McClelland blends to choose from. Find the right one and its under $10 for 4 ounces vs $16 for less than 4 ounces. Try 43 different manufacturers of bulk pipe tobacco including the biggest names and each one has a number of blends as you can see.
    I'd rather pay $1.55/ounce at the quant I buy than buying by the gram. Not to mention free shipping. Buy your grams, I'll buy my Lbs. LOL. Part of the fun is trying bulk blends and blending your own. Thats what I do. You can buy as little as 1 ounce or 100 ounces or more.
    phobicsquirrel:
    thanks guys. yeah she doesn't smoke just me. I'll try those mentioned.

I have what I call Walt's Blend. It is 50/50 Altadis Black Kathy and Lane Ltd BLWB. Black Kathy is a non biting Cavendish and BLWB is a non aromatic I use for blending purposes. Send me a PM and I'll get you a sample. She should like it and guaranteed not to bite and not really what I would call an aromatic. My main blend. Maybe I should put it on the market for all the samples going out. LOL
    pilgrimtex:
    J.S.:
    phobicsquirrel:

House blends are usually just Altadis bulk that are renamed. Some like them, I do not care for most of them, still they might be worth trying.

A traditional smoke that the wife likes? That could be difficult. Does she smoke too, that would have a big effect on your choices IMO.

I really like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes which is a great VA/Bur that has a good room note that might work. If she smokes some English blends that are light on the Lat. might be OK if not avoid them all together. Let us know either way, more suggestions can be made.

Oh, what do you like right now? That too could help.

Not so. Alot are Lane Ltd. Also on my supplier's list is McClelland who makes Frog Morton and there are about 68 McClelland blends to choose from. Find the right one and its under $10 for 4 ounces vs $16 for less than 4 ounces. Try 43 different manufacturers of bulk pipe tobacco including the biggest names and each one has a number of blends as you can see.

I'd rather pay $1.55/ounce at the quant I buy than buying by the gram. Not to mention free shipping. Buy your grams, I'll buy my Lbs. LOL. Part of the fun is trying bulk blends and blending your own. Thats what I do. You can buy as little as 1 ounce or 100 ounces or more.

Tex, maybe we are talking about different things here. I know of many B&M's that sell a wide range of bulk, but most of those are under the manufactures' own name (e.g., Dunhill, etc.). By House Blends I am referring to the B&M renaming the blend and placing the B&M's logo on it. These are in my experience usually (but not always) Altadis.

You are correct buying in bulk is much cheaper many manufactures offer the same blend in either the bulk or tinned version, but not all do. I also have not been lucky enough to find Frog Morton in bulk. If you happen to have a line on that I would be very interested.
    Being here in Texas I have only a couple within an hours ride. Both have house blends. They have their own name on them. The one in Weatherford is a great B&M. The cigar humidor room has a ladder like in a library to get at some of the cigars. They have jars of their named pipe blends. Many if not most are Lane Ltd. I don't know what Frog M looks like or if its flake etc. Or what they say is in the blend. P&C which is now part of the Cintl family has pics and descriptions. I would go to the McClelland page and look for what looks the same and then go to their description. Most won't call it by the tin name. However Capt. Black sells in Bulk by their Tin Name. I used to buy tins. Once I started playing with bulk I never went back.
    If they list some by brand like Dunhill thats great. Saves having to sweet talk them out of the mfg and Name they order by. I know you will probably see 1Q which seems to be the most popular house blend Under a different name which is actually Lane Ltd. or LL7, or BCA and RLP6 all under different house names; All Lane. I found Altadis Black Kathy strictly by reading the descriptions and reviews by customers. I'm talking about Altadis and Lane only because they are the largest companies. That is why I just started the Forum pipe blend thread to develope our own bulk blend and have P&C make it up for us. See what developes. I'll bet we could duplicate Frog by combining McClelland Blends or adding one from another mfg.
    Yeah seems as though the bulk is the way to go if one can find some stuff they like. There was a pipe website I found, forgot the name but they are a mom and pa shop. They have many blends they do, which I thought about getting a sampler. I might just do that as well.
    If you are looking for bulk, which is always a good idea I would still start small. Taste and smell is a very individual thing. That said, since your wife is a non-smoker I would avoid the lat. at least to start with. A nice Burley blend that I think has a pleasant room note is Mac Baren's Burley London Blend. It does have a very light topping but it is not cased. Toppings and casings are different things. Toppings are usually not tasted just helps with the aroma. Burley is a very neutral tobacco, however. I can get some chocolate, which good burley will have notes of here and there but I would guess that the topping is also cocoa to help add to this. Burley also has a nutty flavor. In this case, this blend reminds me of cashews. Just another thought. If you have found anything that the wife likes in a traditional tobacco let us know. It makes it easier to make suggestions.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah seems as though the bulk is the way to go if one can find some stuff they like. There was a pipe website I found, forgot the name but they are a mom and pa shop. They have many blends they do, which I thought about getting a sampler. I might just do that as well.

No suggestions from me other than smoke a sample at the B&M with your wife present. The Lane ltd. BLWB is a Burley with no bite. Thus the initials. However BLWB has only a tobacco smell. Reviews say the plain blend is not favorable to the ladies. If they have a nice aroma to sniff in the house. Than your chances are better. You can get some mild cavendish like Altadis Black Kathy or Lane 1Q mix of virginia and cavendish or BCA which is a Cavendish. I've smoked all of them.
    Great ideas guys. So the one cigar shop that also sells pipes and tobacco that I go to once and a while has a great aroma in it. Sadly most of it is from cigars however funny thing is when I do smoke in the house, it doesn't smell like that. Not sure how to get it too, but it doesn't. But I am ordering some frogmorton regular blend and the grey havens. Sounds good, hopefully it will leave a pleasant after smoke smell. I also need more pipes. I have one really, but next on my list is at least 2 more with a pipe stand(s).
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great ideas guys. So the one cigar shop that also sells pipes and tobacco that I go to once and a while has a great aroma in it. Sadly most of it is from cigars however funny thing is when I do smoke in the house, it doesn't smell like that. Not sure how to get it too, but it doesn't. But I am ordering some frogmorton regular blend and the grey havens. Sounds good, hopefully it will leave a pleasant after smoke smell. I also need more pipes. I have one really, but next on my list is at least 2 more with a pipe stand(s).

He has become one of us.
    Got my frog morton today. set out some of the regular to dry a bit then I'm going to do a bowl. Grey Havens will be for tomorrow. Hope I like it.