Home Non Cigar Related

Been away for a while...

Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
After leaving my job in Kuwait due to downsizing, I've finally got two jobs going now in Las Vegas.
My primary job is as an armed security officer.

and here's how I got my second job:

Just got done at Front Sight's Instructor Development Course spending what is quite possibly four of the most challenging, and with the exception of combat, grueling days I can remember.
15 candidates from all walks of life and across the country started, 4 got cut right off the bat after the initial shooting skills test.
I will state up front that the instructor selection process is not a cookie cutter operation.

A lot of people can shoot - but not teach.
A lot of people can teach - but not shoot.

They're looking for the person that can balance both, and the candidates are scrutinized for the entire four days and can be cut at any time.
They won't make cuts randomly but if you're cut (but show potential) they'll explain to you why you were cut and may invite you back to a future ID Course.
If a person gets cut, they'll offer to put you into one of the 4-day handgun courses, rather then just send you home.

They don't expect you to shoot perfectly, but they expect to see improvement every time you step up to the line.
There is ZERO tolerance for violating any of the Four Universal Firearms Rules (as it should be).
Can you imagine what would happen if an instructor ever muzzled a student?

I used my Frog Lubed FNS-9 and it purred like a kitten the entire time.
The weather was decent (as decent as it can be in late June in the desert).
The occasional wind gust blew sand across the ranges and fouled up quite a few of the petroleum-based CLP'd guns.
One thing that I didn't have to worry about was the reliability of my pistol, so I was able to concentrate on the myriad of other things.
The amount of information that they put out is like drinking from a fire hose.

After four days and many cuts later, when the dust settled there were 5 of us that were offered jobs as Line Coaches (the starting position for all instructors).

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Congrats on the two jobs my man.
    Glad to see you back.

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Cool story. Congratulations on being in the final five and thank you for your service to our country. Now which smoke are you having after all that grueling training?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Steve! Good to see you and don't work too hard..congrats on the hard work paying off!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, is it wrong that I visualize Jules Winnfield when thinking about you? You are one Bad Motherf***er! Lol, really though, congrats on the new jobs back in the States.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Congrats, FS is a pretty good shooting school.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Congrats bro, glad to see you back and home safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats on the two jobs and safe travels back home. Sounds like it will be a really fun second job. Is it something you can transition to full time?
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Steve and welcome back.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Thanks guys!
    My Armed Security job will be my primary job (higher pay).
    Front Sight will be my backup.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Really cool story. Congratulations, thank you, and welcome back.