Home General Discussion

Travel Question

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
Is it better so have my stogies in my carry on or my checked bag when flying. Putting in a 15ct herf-a-dor, but it doesn't really fit in my carry on like last year. If I put it in my check bag how should I do so (on the top where is gets smashed the most..?). Curious how you guys travel

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    If its a short trip for me and I take my 5 or 10 count herfidor I keep it in my carry on ...... If I'm going for a longer trip and know that I may be buying some sticks I take my 40 count and check it. The 40 has an airlock release and the cargo of most planes are not completely pressurized so the herfidors without the air release can be vacuum sealed and you may need a screwed river to pry it open. Hope this helps. I've never had any issues whether I've checked or carried on.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Carry on, just so I have peace of mind and know how the bag is handled. Also not sure of temperature, humidity and pressurization differences in flight.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I always put it in my check in. The last thing i want is to go through security and for some reason they say i can't bring it and i have to throw it out. In my check in i put it in the middle of my clothes.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont worry about it getting crushed. those herfadors are strong. put it where ever you want. youll be fine.

dont worry about carry on. i came back from Nicaragua with 75 cigars on my person and my wife had another 30 on her. all went through security with no issue.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    When I was traveling back and forth to Kuwait, I'd put the larger quantities in tupperdores in the middle of the check-in suitcase and surround them with clothes.

Coming back from Kuwait, I'd always stop at the Duty-Free so I'd end up with Cubans in my carry-on.
    Never had any problems.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Steve2010:
    When I was traveling back and forth to Kuwait, I'd put the larger quantities in tupperdores in the middle of the check-in suitcase and surround them with clothes.

Coming back from Kuwait, I'd always stop at the Duty-Free so I'd end up with Cubans in my carry-on.
    Never had any problems.
    This! I also have travelled and I always check because my lighter and cutter are usually in there as well and those can't go on the plane.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I usually go on a trip once per year. I take my Herf-a-Dor(s) on board with me. Luggage can get lost. I can replace anything in my luggage except my cigars. Plus, if TSA inspects the luggage who knows how they will handle the smokes. When I go thru the inspection and take them out of my Carry-On, I can open the Herf-A -Dors and remove the smokes myself and put them all back gently. My cutter and lighter is put in my Checked baggage for obvious reasons. Thats how I do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    edelrionyc:
    I always put it in my check in. The last thing i want is to go through security and for some reason they say i can't bring it and i have to throw it out. In my check in i put it in the middle of my clothes.
    This is exactly what I do as well. Never had a problem with the sticks getting damaged. If it's a short flight, you don't get the seal issues on the herfadors, at least I don't.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've traveled a lot in my life and I usually will take my cigars with me in my Herf A Dor. I've had my cigars taken from my checked bags because TSA is still going through checked bags and I've had them leave me their little calling card that says they opened my baggage in a random check...but they neglected to tell me that they took my cigars. It's easier to take your cigars onboard with you so I put the 40 count Herf A Dor in my carryon and dont look back.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I've traveled a lot in my life and I usually will take my cigars with me in my Herf A Dor. I've had my cigars taken from my checked bags because TSA is still going through checked bags and I've had them leave me their little calling card that says they opened my baggage in a random check...but they neglected to tell me that they took my cigars. It's easier to take your cigars onboard with you so I put the 40 count Herf A Dor in my carryon and dont look back.
    They took your cigars?! They are a TOTL (a thief of the leaf)
    Lol...not only my cigars but my lighter, cutter and draw tool...so they really made a haul.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Lol...not only my cigars but my lighter, cutter and draw tool...so they really made a haul.
    the cutter, lighter, and draw tool are probably what got their shorts in a knot. I never take those things with me when i go. i can find a cheep cutter and a bic pretty much anywhere. i dont feel like giving my $60 lighter and $30 cutter to the TSA.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I put my 5 count herfador in my check in bag. The smokes inside are already punched and I carry a bic in my pocket. No problems whatsoever.
  • When I travel I always check my smokes, a hard-sided caddy and you'll be good to go. I've never had a problem.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    I just got back from Alaska (It was wonderful!) I have 2 15ct herfadors with a humipack in each, ~10-15 cigars in each. I had them in my carry on bag, went thru TSA/security and had no problems. People throw luggage, it's just the nature of the beast. They need to be quick when loading/unloading the luggage so it gets tossed around a lot. My suggestion if you put it in your check luggage is to make sure the cigars are in the box snugged so they do go bouncing around a lot.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    After a good long laugh today while I was at work, I figured I better post when I got home. It just comes down to personal preference when traveling with your beloved cigars. I for one have checked and also done the carry on methods.

But I would suggest one thing...and yes bags get moved about from the time you check it to the time it gets plane side... "IF" you decide to check your smokes..."PLEASE" pack then so they are well protected. Use what ever you can pad them, this goes for anything that you wouldn't want to arrive broken. Its not just the ramp agents but what happens after your bags leave your site. Yes your bags could be flagged for TSA and then again they might not. (this may vary from station/international airports )

Let me describe something that happens when your bags when it leaves your sight. Depending on the routing on your bag tag, your bags just don't move themselves. There just happens to be a arms in the system that move/push your bags to the correct carrier's belt. What I'm getting at is this, at 150 psi these arms can move bags like they are nothing. Even if your bag happens to be say 70-100+ lbs. Please trust me on this, I get to see bags with broken personal items due to improper packing. Mostly booze that someone is bringing home from there vacation/trips.

So I hope this might help some brothers/sister when it comes time to as yourself the age old question...should I check / carry on my cigars?" As others have mentioned in the post above, should I check my cutter, lighter, and accessories...and have a uneasy feeling about it, leave them at home.

I happen the know the rules and regulations for the carrier I work for, and at this time I will not say which one that is, but when in doubt, call ahead and ask. The employee's can tell you what can be checked, and what can not.

Hope this helps, just my .02 on the matter. So until then sit back, relax and light up!!
    This happened about 15 years ago on a trip to Miami to get on a cruise...I learned a valuable lesson. Too much bait for anybody not to bite on it so after that trip I bring a Ronson flame lighter ( comet ) and cheapo equipment. I don't fly much unless I have to so I drive to the port of call and just hand carry my stuff aboard. I had a $100 lighter that broke my heart and an expensive cutter...whoever got it was a lucky dude.