Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    Nothing for me today but I did just leave the local B&M. I broke my rule this month. That's two months in a row! Uh-oh. I'm never going to be able to afford a house but I did leave with some good stuff!

I picked up 4 ESG Torpedos for $24.95 each! I then got 2 of what I think are the Perfecxion X Opus X. They are wrapped in cedar and from what I can tell only the Perfecxion X is warrped in cedar. One for me and one for a friend. They were $19.95 each. I also go two Opus X Perfecxion No. 5 for $13.95 each. He gave me the box from the No. 5 which is cool cause I don't have any of the Opux X boxes. I bought one Tabak Especial because I wanted to try it and he gave me a Punch Gran Puro. So after $184 I am done but I think I got myself some decent stuff. Not that I needed it but I did want to try the ESG Torpedo and an Opus in a smaller size.

rwheelwright I think you will enjoy the ESG's they are very good ! Sounds like ya got some tasty stuff . I really like the Tabak Especial (what size did ya get) I;ve got about a dozen of the Toro size of these left.
    I think I got a robusto. The other two sizes they had were too small to last a full softball game. I've had two ESGs before. I had the first one when they came out and didn't like it. I had the Robusto about 3 weeks ago and thought it was good. But it reminded me of something that I've had before. It may have been something by RP. I wanna see what the torpedo tastes like. I believe it is the 22 Year Salute. I'm not a fan of the infused stuff but I figured I may like this one more since I am a coffee drinker. I guess we'll see. The only infused stuff that I can deal with so far is the Gurkha stuff.
  • Options
    Im puffing away at an Oliva V Series Robusto with a glass of Johny Walker Blue
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to enjoy a good cigar with my coffee earlier today before I came to work so I specifically picked a smaller cigar which I've never tried before. By smaller cigar, I mean smaller than the 7x50, 6x60, and 6.5x52 I typically enjoy. So I chose a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto (5x52). Usually I can finish one of these at a relaxed pace in less than an hour. I truly enjoyed the aromas created by the smoke and the taste was delicious (don't ask me to name flavors). I was completely surprised that after an hour and 15 minutes I was only half way down the cigar. I was actually trying to rush to finish it in the last 20 minutes, and I still only got half way through it. I'm gonna have to try this one again when I have plenty of time to spare!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Theedge:
    Man O War - good lord that one is aptly named. Does this make me a General?
    Only if you were puffing on it while riding in a tank with your head out of the port. :)

Today was a La Gloria Cubana wavell, this is a smoke I always enjoy, nothing particularly special about it, but always pleasant. Later was a Padilla Miami churchill, again one I always enjoy, though this one is particularly special and a cigar I'm not likely to be without as long as they are made.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    camacho diploma maduro. .... yum
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    camacho diploma maduro. .... yum
    That does sound good.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    had a La Aurora 1495/1994 cameroon today on the road today. Might have been the 5th or 6th of these I've had and they continue to be impeccable

Finished up tonight with a Tatuaje Miami Havana Cazador. These are ranked high in my favorites. Excellent stick.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Had a Verdadero Organic torpedo earlier in the afternoon. The wrapper was cracked at the foot when it was shipped (luckily the only one of the bunch), so I deceided to have it tonight. It had two momments of bad runners that somehow corrected themselves. It also had a very tight draw with minimal smoke. I just couldn't fix the draw despite my best efforts.

Addmitingly I didn't even finish it. The lack of smoke really limited much flavor from coming through so it wasn't enjoyable. This was the first Verdadero that I had this problem with....I hope it was just a fluke.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Oh, and the night before I had a RP fusion. What a fantastic cigar! I am very bad at naming the flavors I taste, but this was a sweet tasting cigar! It honestly reminded me of eating candy. I have never tasted a cigar with that much "sweetness". It almost became too much towards the nub. Very flavorful, complex cigar, and I am glad I have more resting in my humi.
  • Options
    bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    oliva series V, that i didn't get to finish, but was good
  • Options
    Tried a Nica Libre last night...will be posting my though on de old weab site soon
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me the past couple days but I am hoping to fix that tonight.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Fourtotheflush:
    I had a Graycliff 1666 Maduro Robusto. Alls I have to say on this one is bletch! I tossed it after 2 inches. More details tomorrow.

So this one I unwrapped and it looked like a beautiful pc of dark chocolate. things were starting off well.

I started to turn this over and it had a Very Very pronounced vein running down almost the entire length of one side It looked like a Big vein in the binder that happened to hit a big vein in the wrapper in almost the same spot.
    I was worried.
    I gave it a draw test and I thought that the draw was loose.
    I fired it up and after the first few puffs it just wasnt producting much smoke. 2-3 corrective lights later it was producing smoke, but if I let it rest for more than 30 seconds it was out. so the draw I thought was loose wasnt producing as much smoke as I like, or anyone likes.

Now it appeared that the filler was burning, but the wrapper wasnt burning at all. The taste of the smoke was horrible. Very bitter, acrid. It was NASTY. I wouldnt accept this again if it was given to me. It wasnt fresh from the B&M or CCOM either, this has had about 4-5 months of resting time on it.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I had a Fonseca Robusto last night that smelled of rich barnyard and cattle....

Oh wait, I smoked it at the State Fair...

Actually it was a good cigar, nothing special but a nice way to walk around petting cow and piggies!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Enjoying an AF sig right now.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    Nothing for me today but I did just leave the local B&M. I broke my rule this month. That's two months in a row! Uh-oh. I'm never going to be able to afford a house but I did leave with some good stuff!

I picked up 4 ESG Torpedos for $24.95 each! I then got 2 of what I think are the Perfecxion X Opus X. They are wrapped in cedar and from what I can tell only the Perfecxion X is warrped in cedar. One for me and one for a friend. They were $19.95 each. I also go two Opus X Perfecxion No. 5 for $13.95 each. He gave me the box from the No. 5 which is cool cause I don't have any of the Opux X boxes. I bought one Tabak Especial because I wanted to try it and he gave me a Punch Gran Puro. So after $184 I am done but I think I got myself some decent stuff. Not that I needed it but I did want to try the ESG Torpedo and an Opus in a smaller size.

rwheelwright I think you will enjoy the ESG's they are very good ! Sounds like ya got some tasty stuff . I really like the Tabak Especial (what size did ya get) I;ve got about a dozen of the Toro size of these left.
    I think I got a robusto. The other two sizes they had were too small to last a full softball game. I've had two ESGs before. I had the first one when they came out and didn't like it. I had the Robusto about 3 weeks ago and thought it was good. But it reminded me of something that I've had before. It may have been something by RP. I wanna see what the torpedo tastes like. I believe it is the 22 Year Salute. I'm not a fan of the infused stuff but I figured I may like this one more since I am a coffee drinker. I guess we'll see. The only infused stuff that I can deal with so far is the Gurkha stuff.

The Tabak to me has just the right combination of rich tobacco and coffee flavor to compliment one another ---hope you enjoy it ...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Partagas Series D #4..My oh my, was this one nice. It has been a while since I enjoyed a Habana, this was all that, and more. The flavors were interesting distinct and unique. Lots of woody flavors, damp earth, and almond . At times grassy, not an unpleasant moment with this one. It smoked pretty quickly, at under an hour, but maybe because I was enjoying it so much. Burn was great, straight and the ash really held on. The last third was hints of coffee and nut, this cigar was one of the best I've ever had. The strength never overtook me, which I thought it might, there was no "cigar hang over " which I always appreciate.
  • Options
    Had a padilla 48 tonight! yummy..got a little wooesy during the last inch....but other than that great smoke...review will be on the old web site some time next week Oh and
    Today was a Partagas Deries D #4..My oh my, was this one nice. It has been a while since I enjoyed a Habana, this was all that, and more. The flavors were interesting distinct and unique. Lots of woody flavors, damp earth, at times grassy, not an unpleasant moment with this one. It smoked pretty quickly, at under an hour, but maybe because I was enjoying it so much. Burn was great, straight and the ash really held on. The last third was hints of coffee and nut, this cigar was one of the best I've ever had. The strength never overtook me, which I thought it might, there was no "cigar hang over " which I always appreciate.
    They are a fine cigar! almond flavors abound..
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    kaspera79:
    Today was a Partagas Series D #4..My oh my, was this one nice. It has been a while since I enjoyed a Habana, this was all that, and more. The flavors were interesting distinct and unique. Lots of woody flavors, damp earth, and almond . At times grassy, not an unpleasant moment with this one. It smoked pretty quickly, at under an hour, but maybe because I was enjoying it so much. Burn was great, straight and the ash really held on. The last third was hints of coffee and nut, this cigar was one of the best I've ever had. The strength never overtook me, which I thought it might, there was no "cigar hang over " which I always appreciate.
    Love those. Bought a box back in the days and they are all gone now. Little bit spicy as well. Tonight is CAO Cameroon for me.
  • Options
    KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    I'm going to Pair a Man O' War Ruination with at bottle of Stone Ruination IPA. Good bye tastebuds!
  • Options
    Just finished an Oliva G Maduro Belicioso with a tumbler of Macallan 18yr
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a perdomo reserve golf tonight. It was mild to medium and the description is correct when it says lots of smoke, made my garage look like a bar. When I rolled the smoke through my nose I got a smell I've never experienced before. The best I can describe this is an old musty store room. Can anyone tell me what I was sensing?
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    Had a perdomo reserve golf tonight. It was mild to medium and the description is correct when it says lots of smoke, made my garage look like a bar. When I rolled the smoke through my nose I got a smell I've never experienced before. The best I can describe this is an old musty store room. Can anyone tell me what I was sensing?
    it sounds to me like you you were sensing old musty store room. I usually like to call it "damp earth" but you make it sound so appealing....

i do like cigars with an earthy taste so i might have to check that out.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:
    it sounds to me like you you were sensing old musty store room. I usually like to call it "damp earth" but you make it sound so appealing....

When you put it that way it makes sense. lol
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:

do yourself a favor and look through my "developing your palate" thread again.
    on page 6 you will find a flavor wheel that will aid you in identifying different flavors and aromas. i have more than one in there and i think they print nicely. if they dont, then just google image search "cigar flavor wheel" and one will pop up. they are great tools.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:

on page 6 you will find a flavor wheel that will aid you in identifying different flavors and aromas. i have more than one in there and i think they print nicely. if they dont, then just google image search "cigar flavor wheel" and one will pop up. they are great tools.
    Hey Kuzi, it was also my first Perdomo, so it may have been just that, but I'll check out that flavor wheel for sure.
  • Options
    Just finished a Graycliff Professionale. I love the Original and if it didn't have a different lable, I would have thought it was one untill the final third of the cigar. Just a little more spice is the only difference that I can tell.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:
    kuzi16:
    plaidbanana1:

Hey Kuzi, it was also my first Perdomo, so it may have been just that, but I'll check out that flavor wheel for sure.
    Wow, maybe I'm better than I thought. Old cellar is actually on there.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Kamelyon:
    I'm going to Pair a Man O' War Ruination with at bottle of Stone Ruination IPA. Good bye tastebuds!
    One of the best beers of all time.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had a Padilla 1932 Oscuro Salomon last night. The burn was ok. I had to touch up a few times but the taste was good. It did develop a weird taste at the last inch that I have never had before. Not sure what it was though. Both softball games were cancelled last night so I didn't get to the DE. Maybe today if I go fo a walk.