Home Cigar 101

Humidors

OK, question concerning humidors.
I have heard that you can use a cooler to keep your cigars and it works just fine. So why all the hoopla surrounding the Spanish cedar in humidors? If a cooler works just fine, why do we need Spanish cedar lined boxes? Is it just aroma?
Mahalo,
Edward

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Part of it is aroma, part of it is rh stability, part is deterrent of mold or antifungal properties, and deterrent of insects from the aroma. It's kind of the perfect wood for them really. It is a mahogany strand, and I believe you can use some mahogany's as well, but Spanish Cedar is the best at all those qualities.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    As far as coolers go, most store in boxes and or line with cedar planks. You can do a search for "cooler" or "coolidor" and find plenty of info.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are reasons for different types of humidors which include Tupperadors, Cooleradors etc. First let's consider the wood humidor as that is what most of us tend to use and a good wood humidor is important so that it does the job you want it to. The average size wood humidor is about 150-300 count size and as you said it should be made out of spanish cedar inside. The aroma that it gives/transfers to your cigars is unmatched by what other humidors are able to do...i.e. tupperware, coolers, etc. A good wood humidor goes for around $200 or more but I can already hear you saying that you see wood humidors for less. Yes, there are a lot of 'cheap' humidors out there and try not to be tempted to buy those because all humidors are not the same or made the same. Quality is what you are looking for and a well made humidor will last a lifetime as opposed to those POS humidors that always seem to deviate in holding RH inside. The glass top humidor is one of those that look pretty but pretty much cause a ton of issues...RH escapes after awhile from the bad seal of the glass. I have 5 really nice wood humidors that over time turn my cigars into really good smokes because of that spanish cedar aroma...makes for a great smoke. Next let's consider tupperware/cooleradors....both of these work well but it takes a little preparation as far as what kind to get. Tupperware is not made the same nor do they seal the same...don't buy the cheap plastic kind that leak really bad...I buy RubberMaid because it seals perfectly w/o letting precious RH leak out. The same can said for coolers..don't buy the cheap model because it's on sale...a good cooler should make that "whooooosh" sound when you close it giving you the sign that it is a good seal. I buy 120qt size coolers made by a reliable company that is noted for being a great product. If you go the route of tupperware/cooler try to obtain a lot of spanish cedar which can be bought online...a lot of sources for this. I had a Vendor send me a lot of sheets where I lined the bottom and sides with quality spanish cedar inside...I want these things to reek of the aroma so it can tranfer it into my cigars and over the years when I did this...my cigars get the same kind of transfer as they do from a good quality wood humidor. When you do make your purchase of any humidor understand that you should BUY BIG because you are going to buy more cigars so don't just buy something for the immediate future...think long term storage. If I had to do it all over I'd have one good wood humidor that holds 300...then a smaller wood humi that holds about 50 as this is the one you're going to use the most. Tupperadors---buy the ones that can hold at least 200 cigars as I have 10 of those at least. Cooleradors----buy at least a 120 quart size one and don't throw away the boxes of cigars..use them as a tray to hold your cigars as that aids in the until holding relative humidity in check...thus the idea of lining the bottom and sides..spanish cedar is your friend.
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Does anyone have an experience with making a humidor out of a large stand up wine cooler? I'm thinking about making one but can't find very much information about what I will need.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Search wineador and you should find all the info you need.
  • EHaddockEHaddock Posts: 24
    All of that makes good sense. It seems I really do need to get a new humidor or 2. My current one only holds 15-20 cigars (like the fireside desktop humidor)and the humidification device is getting old and not holding the Propylene Glycol as well as it used to. I am going to put a humi-care jar in instead. I am gonna turn that one into my short term holder and get a larger one or two for long term storage. I have been looking at the ones here on CCOM and the ones I am looking at hold around 100 like the Ironsides Humidor.
    That leads me to ask, would it matter if I kept only 10 - 15 cigars in a 100 count humidor? Do they have to be full or do they work as well almost empty as they do full?
    I am sure Iwill have more questions but that is enough for now.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    does not matter how many you have, just season the humi correctly add you humidification system be it beads, humi jars, silica litter, but dont use any of the pucks, as long as you start out right with the seasoning and keep up you regular maintaince you will be fine,
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    ddubridge:
    I found alot of good infornmation, but i still dont know if i should try to make one... or just go ahead and buy a large stand up.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    ddubridge:
    I found alot of good infornmation, but i still dont know if i should try to make one... or just go ahead and buy a large stand up.
    Probably a personal preference. The nice thing about a winador is temperature control.

EHaddock:
    That leads me to ask, would it matter if I kept only 10 - 15 cigars in a 100 count humidor? Do they have to be full or do they work as well almost empty as they do full?
    The more full the humi is the easier it is to control the humidity of the empty space. I dont see why you couldnt just put 10 - 15 cigars in. Humidity control is the down side of that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    There are reasons for different types of humidors which include Tupperadors, Cooleradors etc.
    First let's consider the wood humidor as that is what most of us tend to use and a good wood humidor is important so that it does the job you want it to. The average size wood humidor is about 150-300 count size and as you said it should be made out of spanish cedar inside. The aroma that it gives/transfers to your cigars is unmatched by what other humidors are able to do...i.e. tupperware, coolers, etc. A good wood humidor goes for around $200 or more but I can already hear you saying that you see wood humidors for less. Yes, there are a lot of 'cheap' humidors out there and try not to be tempted to buy those because all humidors are not the same or made the same. Quality is what you are looking for and a well made humidor will last a lifetime as opposed to those POS humidors that always seem to deviate in holding RH inside. The glass top humidor is one of those that look pretty but pretty much cause a ton of issues...RH escapes after awhile from the bad seal of the glass. I have 5 really nice wood humidors that over time turn my cigars into really good smokes because of that spanish cedar aroma...makes for a great smoke.

Next let's consider tupperware/cooleradors....both of these work well but it takes a little preparation as far as what kind to get. Tupperware is not made the same nor do they seal the same...don't buy the cheap plastic kind that leak really bad...I buy RubberMaid because it seals perfectly w/o letting precious RH leak out. The same can said for coolers..don't buy the cheap model because it's on sale...a good cooler should make that "whooooosh" sound when you close it giving you the sign that it is a good seal. I buy 120qt size coolers made by a reliable company that is noted for being a great product.

If you go the route of tupperware/cooler try to obtain a lot of spanish cedar which can be bought online...a lot of sources for this. I had a Vendor send me a lot of sheets where I lined the bottom and sides with quality spanish cedar inside...I want these things to reek of the aroma so it can tranfer it into my cigars and over the years when I did this...my cigars get the same kind of transfer as they do from a good quality wood humidor.

When you do make your purchase of any humidor understand that you should BUY BIG because you are going to buy more cigars so don't just buy something for the immediate future...think long term storage. If I had to do it all over I'd have one good wood humidor that holds 300...then a smaller wood humi that holds about 50 as this is the one you're going to use the most. Tupperadors---buy the ones that can hold at least 200 cigars as I have 10 of those at least. Cooleradors----buy at least a 120 quart size one and don't throw away the boxes of cigars..use them as a tray to hold your cigars as that aids in the until holding relative humidity in check...thus the idea of lining the bottom and sides..spanish cedar is your friend.
    fixed that for ya.
    Thx brother...that looks a lot better as when I wrote it up that's how I did it as well but got lost in transfer.
  • kalfiskalfis Posts: 1
    I am fairly new to the humidor/cigar thing. It's very addicting! I now have a tupidor to go along with my 20 cigar humidor. Want to buy more, but am our of room. I want to use a cabinet to store cigars it. Is there any guidence you guys can give or a place I can go to see what others have done to create a humidor out of an old cabinet? I really enjoy reading these posts. You guys have been a great source of info. so far. Thanks
    kalfis:
    I am fairly new to the humidor/cigar thing. It's very addicting! I now have a tupidor to go along with my 20 cigar humidor. Want to buy more, but am our of room. I want to use a cabinet to store cigars it. Is there any guidence you guys can give or a place I can go to see what others have done to create a humidor out of an old cabinet? I really enjoy reading these posts. You guys have been a great source of info. so far. Thanks
    Remember that this hobby is an ever expanding one so the real deal is that your cigars are in an environment where they thrive and tupperadors are certainly one of those environments that work...and work quite well. I will advocate that you put cedar inside any tupperware as I have quite a few of these units of all sizes...the bigger the better. Use a quality brand and not those that leak...RubberMaid and it's equivalent are the best. Line the bottom and the sides with cedar sheets or at the very least put your cigars in those boxes that cigars come in. Cabinets are great but they come with a cost...don't shortchange yourself on buying the "cheapest" one available...you will rue the day if you buy cheap because they tend to leak and leak badly and you'll be chasing RH everyday to keep it constant. Just because you see a pretty box that "looks" like it could be a humidor...doesn't mean it's so.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kalfis:
    It can be done I have a pic of an night stand that I converted in the Show off your Humi setup thread, I don't recomend this unless you are a experenced woodworker.