Home General Discussion

Saving dad's humi/Real Isom?/bring back from drying out

So here is a little bit of the story that brings me to where I am. You may notice from time to time I mention that I am smoking with dad. I may not post it a lot but when I smoke with him I like to include him in my post. Last early fall we almost lost him. It was completely out of left field but had to do with his past medical history. I won't go into the whole story of my fathers medical history as that is not what this thread is about. But since this has happened he no longer walks unassisted (he uses a walker) and pretty much always needs someone to help him out. Well now with some forgetfulness he hasn't checked up on his humidor like he used to. Pretty much from last Sept till now he hasn't done anything with it. Well I opened it and holy crap..all the stick are dried out and there literally was no humidification going on. He had 2 typical green sponges that were hard as a rock and two empty small gel jars that had nothing in them. So I am now currently in the middle of the process of re seasoning his humi. I believe most of his cigars are savable. I have removed them all and have them in baggies getting better. He has a pretty big humi that my uncle made him. I will post pictures below. So there is a little back story. No on to my questions. I found this Cohiba in his sticks. When he had one of his surgeries maybe 8 yrs back he got a lot of cigars for gifts from people at his old work. My question is does it look real? I have never seen a real cuban before. And my 2 nd question, my dad gave me this egg that he said has been in his humi for 4 yrs. It is pretty crispy. Do you think if I just let it sit in my humi for maybe 6 months or so it will be smokable? Sorry for the long winded thread but wanted to give some back story and explain a little. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage Again sorry for such a big thread but I wanted to share and see if either of my questions could find answers. Thanks!!

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't tell you the authenticity for the cohiba singlo, but the egg could probably be saved. It will probably take more them 6 months though.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    That sure looks like a cool humi man. IMO, the Egg is a novelty really. The Cohiba band does not look real my friend. For rehumidity of the sticks, I would do it very slowly. Order a couple Boveda packs, 62, 65, 72. Place them in a ziploc with each for a couple months and bring them back slow with cedar in the bag. Granted, they probably lost a lot of oils and aroma, but they should be smokeable around the yard.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    here check the band out here

Check out cohiba!

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    umm ... yeah..... what these guys said........... KEURIG FTW!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Thanks guys and thanks for the link. And Daniel that keurig is awesome lol.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Breaks my heart to see cigars that have been left alone to dry out....a month to like 3 months I'd say is worth trying to save...if these are from last Sept. that means they have essentially lost all of their essential oils that make a good cigar .....a good cigar. Dried out cigars will taste like...dried cigars and if they haven't been cared for in that vast amount of time my experience tells me that you'd be wasting your time to try and bring them back no matter how slowly you re humidify them. I've brought back cigars that were almost 3 months dry and brought them back slowly over a period of about 4 months but they never tasted like they are supposed to..maybe 50% at best. Now, I'm not saying you should throw them away...I'm just telling you my experience with dried out cigars and I've never had them come back after being dried out for that long. If you like a dry smoke then I say g'head and bring em back slowly...never up never in they say.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice humidor. Sorry the Cohiba is fake. It looks pretty dry, I am not sure if you can bring it back alive. Thanks for sharing the story with us Mike!
    Thanks guys. There are a few sticks I know haven't been in there all that long I can save but I am afraid that most are too far gone like you said. Hopefully once I get his humi back in shape I can keep an eye on it for him as I visit at least once a week. Too bad the Cohiba is fake but that is what I honestly figured. Thanks for confirming all.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    If i had to give my opinion i would say that the band look legit. look below to compare....
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    edelrionyc:
    If i had to give my opinion i would say that the band look legit. look below to compare....
    the cohiba is a fake band
    how old is that "cohiba" thats the question, the old discontinued bands look like that, the newer bands dont, so the question is , how old is it? if its recent then yes i would agree it's fake, but its older and i mean way older then it's a possibility it could be a real
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    how old is that "cohiba" thats the question, the old discontinued bands look like that, the newer bands dont, so the question is , how old is it? if its recent then yes i would agree it's fake, but its older and i mean way older then it's a possibility it could be a real
    it may be a real band. that doesnt mean that the cigar itself is real. the only thing on the band that makes me think it is not a real band is that in every picture i can find of a real band the top row of white dots touches the edge of the band. the one that cigar has some space.

but to me it wasnt the band. that could just be how it was cut. to me, the construction issues and the vein structure lead me to think it is not genuine.

of course it is often difficult to tell through pictures, so dont quote me on it.
    well again how old is this cigar? the cigar itself is dried out, and makes the surface look like crap, as for vein's they look fine and the rolling edges of the wrapper both are more visialble since it is dry, either way the cigar just looks bad, either from sitting dry or being that is was a fake cigar
    but it looks like it was dried out alot longer then 10-11 months,
    oooww, i bet thats a crunchy cigar, i wouldnt want to save it to smoke it, more for the nestalgia
    I would say that cigar in particular would probably be from 2000-2005. That is a guess but it is around the time his health got worse and he was still working. I too can't believe how dry the cigars are but he isn't quite the same man now as he was before last fall. He forgets a lot. I talked to him the other day and he told me he had replaced the sponge last month. Well, last month to him is probably really 10 months ago. Hopefully once I get him back going I can keep this from happening again.