Home Pipes
Options

Lighting a pipe

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
What are the options for lighting pipes other than matches? Do the lighters need to have a specific fuel? Whats your preference or opinion?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Soft flame only. Fuel, butane is the best, Bic's work just fine. Fuel that you would use to light a cigar, minus the torch should be fine. Briar and Meer. will scorch leaving black spots on the rim that are very difficult or impossible to remove. Torches can even burn through them. You can buy pipe lighters that have an angled soft flame that makes it easier to light. Most also come with a built in pipe tool.
  • Options
    mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    J.S. already covered it, but I'll second buying a pipe lighter. It's worth it. Makes lighting so much easier.
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Used bics for a long time but lately I've benn using a Xitar lighter freebie. Soft flames are a pain in the butt here in TX with the wind etc. Also when lighting my pipes while driving. I used to constantly flick the bic. My pipes too look like worn out estate pipes I smoke em so much. The tops are black as well as my daily meerschaums. The bodies of my Meerschaums are tobacco brown that soaks through the porous material. But thats what makes them look good. When I ream them I also scrape the tops with a knife to get the buildup off. I use the single flame torch with great effect. I just pay attention to keep it off the bowl and constantly move it. Doubt I'll ever go back to soft flame. Its just too much of a hassle. But thats just me. I know everyone says never use a torch. LOL Oh I've bought and tossed a few expensive pipe lighters in my day as well. Still like my freebie torch. Its beginnin to look as beatup as my pipes. I use Zippo butane in my torches including my Bugatti dual flame.
  • Options
    I saw a few Zippo options online tonight for soft flame butanes... My B&M has a couple options that im gonna look at tomorrow if they are open. I just go through so many dang matches that it gets to be a hassle for a beginner pipe smoker who has issues keeping his pipe lit. lol Pus my wife gave me a hard time for leaving the matches on out patio. :) Ill let you guys know what i end up with! Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll use a torch, single flame, at home, with caution. In the car bouncing around I use the bic. One second at a time with the torch, longer with the bic
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Well my BM was supposed to open today at 10. I waited in my car till 10:30. Ended up getting a Bic at 7-11. Lol works fine. Cheap.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I always keep a Bic and matches on hand. Sooner, rather than later you will need one unless you carry butane with you. Lighters run out at the worst possible times!