Home Cigar 101

Did Mark Twain and General Grant inhale? (Film of Twain added.)

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about the old timers and wondered if it was common practice to inhale 50, 100 or 150 years ago or did they just puff on them like we do today?

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    1, I'm not that old.
    2, Was just an E4 and not supposed to know those things.
    LOL
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    General Grant was said to have smoked up to 12 cigars a day...Yikes! Freud was said to have smoked upwards to 20 per day and both of these gentlemen acquired cancer from this vice...I can see why at that rate. Since Grant was always pictured with a cigar people use to send him boxes of the choicest of cigars in that time and he received around 10,000 of them...so many that he started to give them away but he kept the best of the best to enjoy for himself. While indulging their vice it was said that most men who smoked cigars during that time would inhale because the medical analysis of smoking cigars/cigarettes had not yet been documented as something to be afraid of and most men inhaled it as a matter of routine. I'd think because of this inhalation of that many per day probably caused their demise but Freud was like 82 or 83 when he died..so for smoking so many each day he probably beat all of the odds. Oh, it was the reason he coined the phrase of ...."Sometimes Gentlemen a cigar is just a cigar"....his colleagues would tease him about the cigars taking on a phallic symbolism as Sigmund was used to talking about the interplay of sex in peoples lives.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    General Grant was said to have smoked up to 12 cigars a day...Yikes! Freud was said to have smoked upwards to 20 per day and both of these gentlemen acquired cancer from this vice...I can see why at that rate. Since Grant was always pictured with a cigar people use to send him boxes of the choicest of cigars in that time and he received around 10,000 of them...so many that he started to give them away but he kept the best of the best to enjoy for himself. While indulging their vice it was said that most men who smoked cigars during that time would inhale because the medical analysis of smoking cigars/cigarettes had not yet been documented as something to be afraid of and most men inhaled it as a matter of routine. I'd think because of this inhalation of that many per day probably caused their demise but Freud was like 82 or 83 when he died..so for smoking so many each day he probably beat all of the odds. Oh, it was the reason he coined the phrase of ...."Sometimes Gentlemen a cigar is just a cigar"....his colleagues would tease him about the cigars taking on a phallic symbolism as Sigmund was used to talking about the interplay of sex in peoples lives.
    I think it's worth adding that Freud also used cocaine quite frequently. Mark Twain's autobiography contains some interesting cigar stories from him. One of his biographers has remarked that Twain admitted to smoking "about 20" cigars a day, then adds that his family insists it was probably more like 40, but, that may have just been how it seemed to them. He stated that he'd find a cigar he liked, "for about 4 - 6 cents each, if they cost more I start to get suspicious", then he'd "buy them by the barrel." I don't know what size barrel he meant. Could be quite a number.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reading up on Twain myself as I was pondering this question yesterday and I learned that he preferred cheap cigars and seemed to develop this preference as a youth when he started smoking whatever he could get his hands on.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    then he'd "buy them by the barrel." I don't know what size barrel he meant. Could be quite a number.
    a wheel or barrel is usually 50 cigars all bound together by one larger band.
    Yep...some of the manufacturers will sell this type of thing to help market a cigar...I have a few of them lying around and they look pretty cool. It's fun to poke around in history as far as reading up on cigars as I was gifted a book about 20 years ago on this very subject and once you've read it it makes you appreciate that rolled up piece of tobacco like you never have. The history of the families that made this their life long passion is amazing and being able to produce something that others get a real joy from has got to be very rewarding. The Padron and Fuente families are obviously richer than most 3rd world countries but the tiime and passion they put into their business you just have to be impressed.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    1, I'm not that old.
    2, Was just an E4 and not supposed to know those things.
    LOL

+1!
    Tex is still older than me and us E4's weren't told squat!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what? When a guy admits to smoking 20 cigars a day (his family claimed it was more like forty) then how the heck could the room ever clear out enough so he and everyone in the house wasn't inhaling -- not to speak of the neighbors. Mark was a walking smoke stack. Of course he inhaled.

edit -- I see where cigary and I are both conning the same historical facts re Twain, Freud, and other historical cigar smokers. Got to wonder how many other gents of the time were equally smoky. This I can tell you: At its height, the FX Smith's Sons factories in McSherrystown PA cranked out 9 million sticks a year hand rolled -- and they were one of a couple dozen manufacturers in the same county.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    You know what? When a guy admits to smoking 20 cigars a day (his family claimed it was more like forty) then how the heck could the room ever clear out enough so he and everyone in the house wasn't inhaling -- not to speak of the neighbors. Mark was a walking smoke stack. Of course he inhaled.

edit -- I see where cigary and I are both conning the same historical facts re Twain, Freud, and other historical cigar smokers. Got to wonder how many other gents of the time were equally smoky. This I can tell you: At its height, the FX Smith's Sons factories in McSherrystown PA cranked out 9 million sticks a year hand rolled -- and they were one of a couple dozen manufacturers in the same county.

Stuff like this interests me and all of these famous fellows were cigar enthusiasts to the max! I smoke and have smoked a lot of cigars in the last 50 years but even with all of those that I have smoke wouldn't hold a candle to what these guys smoked in a few years. I've got to believe that the quality of what I smoke is head and tails above what they had...or maybe not.
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    It's probably all a myth of how much they smoked anyway
    That's what I thought until I did more research...there were plenty of people who documented that these guys smoked a lot of cigar and in some instances some said they had actually smoked more. If I smoke more than 2 my tongue feels like sandpaper.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    That's what I thought until I did more research...there were plenty of people who documented that these guys smoked a lot of cigar and in some instances some said they had actually smoked more. If I smoke more than 2 my tongue feels like sandpaper.
    yep, this is all pretty well documented by reporters, associates, friends and family.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I have found a youtube video of a 1909 film clip by Thomas Edison showing Twain walking and smoking. Although the quality of the image was poor, he seemed to only be puffing and not inhaling.

Here is a link to a better "digitally restored" version. (I had to create a link because they disabled the embed code for some reason on this particular youtube.)

Mark Twain | Edison Film | Digitally Restored