Home Cigar 101
Options

Humicare water pillow questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    So from what i read, these Humi-care water pillows last for a pretty long time? I have been keeping a couple in my Cigar Caddy just to keep from having to use the little sponge at the top of it. But i dont want to keep them in there if there is a risk of them getting dry on me while i am out and about for a few days.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bamablows:
    So from what i read, these Humi-care water pillows last for a pretty long time? I have been keeping a couple in my Cigar Caddy just to keep from having to use the little sponge at the top of it. But i dont want to keep them in there if there is a risk of them getting dry on me while i am out and about for a few days.
    They work for at least 30 days and each pillow will humidify 15-20 cigars as it says on the packet. It takes about 20 seconds to recharge in distilled water. I use these things a lot.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    It should take a long long time for them to dry out. I used to keep one in my travel Herf-a-dor even when I wasn't using it, thinking it was a good idea. But since my earlier testing wit the pillows I have quit doing it because I figured the RH would be high enough to promote mold. That sounds like a good thing for me to test. I'll put a pillow and a hygrometer in my travel Herf-a-dor and see what RH I get. I've never had a mold problem like that before but if the RH gets too high I would suppose that there is a risk of mold when pillows are left inside travel humidors for long periods.
  • Options
    They are Bob....I've seen pillows that had mold growing inside the pillow and that shocked me...so when I recharge a pillow I only leave it in the DW for 20 seconds at most and there is a shelf life of how many time you can recharge them. They were never meant as a long term solution for cigars to be properly humidified but rather a short term. I bought those little round plastic discs from another source for a $1 a piece...opened em up and took out the foam and refilled with KL...it's perfect for small humidors up to a 50 count and one can recharge it as many times as you want.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    They are Bob....I've seen pillows that had mold growing inside the pillow and that shocked me...so when I recharge a pillow I only leave it in the DW for 20 seconds at most and there is a shelf life of how many time you can recharge them. They were never meant as a long term solution for cigars to be properly humidified but rather a short term. I bought those little round plastic discs from another source for a $1 a piece...opened em up and took out the foam and refilled with KL...it's perfect for small humidors up to a 50 count and one can recharge it as many times as you want.
    Great suggestions here, Cigary ^^^^^

I keep (at least) one small, humi-care pillow in each cigar box that's in my coolidor. I'll open up the bag, take the pillow out and check it about once/month. Check it and make sure it looks ok, no mold, etc. then give it a quick "spritz" of distilled water from my spray bottle, back in the bag it goes.

Haven't had any develop mold yet and the oldest humi-care pillow I have is probably close to 1 yr.
    But I have had a couple bags get "slimy" on me .... and they won't "plump" back up when refilling them with water. It's kind of hard to describe but if it happens, you'll know it because it just doesn't seem normal. I always toss them if they do this, not sure if it's fixable or not.

And if you have one of those plastic and foam cigar caddy's no real need to keep a humidity source in it if there's no cigars in it.
    Since the plastic/foam won't dry out like a wooden humidor. Just toss in a couple humi-care pillows (or beads/KL) when you put your cigars in and you'll be good to go.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Cigary:

I keep (at least) one small, humi-care pillow in each cigar box that's in my coolidor. I'll open up the bag, take the pillow out and check it about once/month. Check it and make sure it looks ok, no mold, etc. then give it a quick "spritz" of distilled water from my spray bottle, back in the bag it goes.

Haven't had any develop mold yet and the oldest humi-care pillow I have is probably close to 1 yr.
    But I have had a couple bags get "slimy" on me .... and they won't "plump" back up when refilling them with water. It's kind of hard to describe but if it happens, you'll know it because it just doesn't seem normal. I always toss them if they do this, not sure if it's fixable or not.

And if you have one of those plastic and foam cigar caddy's no real need to keep a humidity source in it if there's no cigars in it.
    Since the plastic/foam won't dry out like a wooden humidor. Just toss in a couple humi-care pillows (or beads/KL) when you put your cigars in and you'll be good to go.
    I had a couple that got slimy as well, I let them dry out completey I have only recharged one of these but it seems to be ok, I thought the slime was maybe from overfilling it.
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    jgibv:
    Cigary:

I had a couple that got slimy as well, I let them dry out completey I have only recharged one of these but it seems to be ok, I thought the slime was maybe from overfilling it.
    I generally only reuse my pillows about 6 -8 times as that is usually the shelf life from my experience...and you guys are right in that they get that "slimy" look and feel and they don't 'fill up' like they used to. I've even used the outside packaging where the pillow sits in and put KL in there as well..works great for those smaller humidors or herf a dors and one can recharge those indefinitely.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    They most definitely get "old".
    I made the mistake of keeping a bunch of them in a zip-lock bag, which was open....still....kind of forgot about them, for a year or so....
    Decided I needed a few for my travel humi for a short camping trip trip...........uh..........no
    very dank, moldy smelling, and a few slimy ones.......tossed them all
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    They most definitely get "old".
    I made the mistake of keeping a bunch of them in a zip-lock bag, which was open....still....kind of forgot about them, for a year or so....
    Decided I needed a few for my travel humi for a short camping trip trip...........uh..........no
    very dank, moldy smelling, and a few slimy ones.......tossed them all
    I wonder, if you put them in a ziplock and store them in the refrigerator, would they keep for an indefinite time? Or at lest a much longer time than if left open at room temperature?
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    [I wonder, if you put them in a ziplock and store them in the refrigerator, would they keep for an indefinite time? Or at lest a much longer time than if left open at room temperature?
    I was wondering about that myself, but realized it really didn't matter, after that episode, I was never going to use them for anything, other than their trip to my house from ccom.
    Beads, beads, beads.........................that's pretty much it for me for a few years now.
    I've made many different bead containers, travel tubes, etc. for my coolers and humis.............everything is rock solid.
    I am very fortunate to live in a VERY friendly cigar storage climate, which makes things much easier for me, compared to botl in other parts of this country, and abroad.