Home Pipes

Forum Pipe Blend

pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
There is a plethora of bulk tobaccos out there just waitin for us to put our palates together and devise a blend that will satisfy even the most depraved dark siders. Once developed I may ask our supplier to blend it for the forum. It may even be more than one blend. Who knows. We can make this thread our collaboration thread. Any takers??

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Since I never tried Frog Morton I ordered a tin along with a McClelland bulk Dark English. May work on formulating a blend to match the frog. That is if I like the frog. Just made up a blend using some Celtic by Lane which isen't bad but the supplier isen't listing Celtic anymore. Oh well. My "Walts Blend" still my main smoke but always looking to develop something new and better.
    Pic of Walts Blend.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Frogmorton did you get? I've had On the Town, and Across the Pond, liked both quite well. There's a couple others I haven't had yet.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    Which Frogmorton did you get? I've had On the Town, and Across the Pond, liked both quite well. There's a couple others I haven't had yet.

Just Frog Morton. Never smoked any before so I just ordered it to start with.
    pilgrimtex:
    Amos Umwhat:

Just Frog Morton. Never smoked any before so I just ordered it to start with.
    That was my original plan, but it was out of stock at that time, so, next time I'll get that, assuming it's there.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    pilgrimtex:
    Since I never tried Frog Morton I ordered a tin along with a McClelland bulk Dark English. May work on formulating a blend to match the frog. That is if I like the frog. Just made up a blend using some Celtic by Lane which isen't bad but the supplier isen't listing Celtic anymore. Oh well. My "Walts Blend" still my main smoke but always looking to develop something new and better.
    Pic of Walts Blend.

Since I have a pipe hangin from my mouth all day, when smokin my Walts Blend and when I'm just relaxin settin back; I like to hang the pipe in my mouth and breathe normally through my nose. I just move the inside of the mouth enough to draw in some smoke and exhale it through the nose. all while normal breathing through the nose. I continue doing this which produces a very thick flavorful smoke that excites the senses and provides a maximum taste. I can keep this going for some time because such little draw is given the smoke never gets hot. Best way to enjoy Walts blend which likes to be drawn slowly.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    The original frog is rather one note, in my opinion. The other blends add more depth of flavor and character to the smoke. I'd be interested in trying to recreate maybe one of those, or, better yet, maybe create our own "frog" blend. Something like the other frogs do, taking a recreation of FM and tweaking it.
    Go to it. When I get my delivery I will also be working on it.
    mgk2020:
    The original frog is rather one note, in my opinion. The other blends add more depth of flavor and character to the smoke. I'd be interested in trying to recreate maybe one of those, or, better yet, maybe create our own "frog" blend. Something like the other frogs do, taking a recreation of FM and tweaking it.

Got my order of pipe tobacco today including a 100gr tin of Frog Morton and 5 oz of McClelland bulk No.5110 Dark English.
    I unsealed the froggy and put 1/2 bowl in a brand new Bjarne Classic Viking that also came in the shipment. My first sensation went straight to the sinuses. It was like having some fresh wasabi. It immediately settled down though to an enjoyable smoke that brought back memories of old log cabins in the woods with big old well used rock fireplaces that have burned everything the forest had to offer. The flavors wafted and changed based on what was burning at the moment. Every once in awhile there would be more of a flair from the latakia as a piece lit. Then it would settle down again.
    When I opened the tin I noticed the moisture content of the tobacco in my fingers. To me it seemed a little dry but the tin is vacuum sealed. I placed a dig mtr in the tin and after enough time it showed 80 deg f and 60%rh. The mtr was at 63 rh when I placed it in the tin.The temp was probably due to time in the ups truck.
    Later (to allow my taste buds to settle down); I stoked up 1/2 bowl of the 5110 in the new pipe. There was no appreciable difference to the frog. There was still the initial sensation but not as severe. Possibly because I was expecting it and perhaps because the tobacco seem slightly moister. I took the dig mtr and placed it in the bag. The temp was the same 80 deg f. The rh however was at 63. My conclusion was that the 5110 is the bulk version of Frog Morton. There did not seem to be enough subtleties to talk about other than somewhat more subdued. I believe that can be explained in the amount of moisture in the bulk. More moisture means a cooler smoke and more subdued sensations but a richer smoke. Dryer is the reverse in that the tobacco burns hotter. I actually prefer the 5110.
    It cost me $15.36 for 100 Gr or $3.53/oz vs the bulk at $12.16 for 4 oz or $3.04/oz. 16 oz is $2.72/oz and 80 oz is $2.51/oz. If your a big Froggy fan try the bulk 5110 and if suitable will save you some big bucks.
    I plan on blending some of my other tobacco with the 5110 to see what I come up with.
    As a side note my Walts blend that I keep in a sealed humidor jar with no humidification but just the moisture as it is received measures at 77 deg f. 80% rh. It is smoking well and I will leave it like that. Sometimes I actually dry my tobacco if I feel it is too moist but the Walts blend seems ok with 80%.

• mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Awesome. I'll order some tonight. A bulk version would be great for my wallet; looking forward to blending with it too. Thanks for the tip. I'll post here if I come up with something once it arrives and I get to experimenting.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    My tastes are a little different. I have smoked some FG, and about 8 oz. of Dark English Full. DEF has an oriental component that I can pick out. FG is only VA/Lat. I get no oriental component in the smoke.

I would compare (loosely) FG to similar VA/Lat. blends which are SG Commonwealth and CF's Lancer's Slices. Just my take on the two blends. Everyone's tastes are different so if DEF is close to you then I would go with it for sure! It is a good blend, but not my favorite English blend to be sure.
    After thinking about it I thought I should clarify. I am not at all saying that FG tastes like Commonwealth or Lancer's Slices. I am connecting them based on the VA/Lat. and the lack of oriental tobaccos in them.
    J.S.:
    My tastes are a little different. I have smoked some FG, and about 8 oz. of Dark English Full. DEF has an oriental component that I can pick out. FG is only VA/Lat. I get no oriental component in the smoke. I would compare (loosely) FG to similar VA/Lat. blends which are SG Commonwealth and CF's Lancer's Slices. Just my take on the two blends. Everyone's tastes are different so if DEF is close to you then I would go with it for sure! It is a good blend, but not my favorite English blend to be sure.

I agree that we all have different tastes. I do not have enough experience with English blends to be able to compare all that's available. I bought the frog based on what members have been saying and to perhaps look at its strong points and develop a blend similar. I ordered the 5110 as a hunch based on it's reviews. I do not feel its worth for me to try and duplicate the frog since 5110 is close enough for me and like I said I prefer it to the frog. Maybe its the oriental touch. I would not replace my Walts blend at this point but it makes for a welcome switch back and forth. Adding some latakia to my blend will bring in some of that smoky taste I'm enjoying in 5110. Perhaps there is a Walts enhanced blend in the future.
    Unlike a forum cigar blend we are a little more diverse and I feel sophisticated in our tastes so having a single blend does not seem likely. Sharing what we come up with here I hope will enrich our enjoyment of the pipe.
    Agreed. Talking blends can only enrich our enjoyment. It is part of smoking. I enjoy DEF from time to time too. It is a good blend and as always if you can find bulk that you enjoy so much the better! I buy bulk all the time but I do have a couple of tins that I keep coming back to as well.
    At this moment I'm smoking a pipeful of a mix of what I've got. Capt. Black Royal, TK-6, Black Kathy in equal amounts, and then just a little less of the Frogmorton Across the Pond. What's really interesting is there is a taste that isn't present in any of the above, at least not that I've been able to pick out. I think the touch of Cherry in the TK-6 is reacting with the mixed Cavendishes from the other tobaccos and creating a taste of Apricot. It's almost like apricot brandy aftertaste.

I'm thinking of possibly picking up some Lane HGL. This was supposed to be H. Lane's personal blend, anyone familiar with it? What might it compare to? The 5110 Pilgrimtex talked about above is almost certain to be on the list, and I'm also looking at a couple other MClelland's, the 2030 No.1 Grade Balkan, and the 2040 Cyprian mixture.

I stayed away from pipes for a long time after I quit cigarettes, stuck to cigars only. I was afraid that the ease of pipe smoking would lead me back into "the Habit". I love the mix-and-match of pipe tobaccos. You can buy 4 different tobaccos, and create so many variations. What a blast!

I cannot help with the Lane HGL, or the 2040. I did not care for 2030 Balkan, myself. I would recommend Hearth and Home's Black House as a Balkan. I picked up 4 oz. of it back in March. Tried it and it was a little rough (it had been backordered for quite some time). Put it in a jar and opened it up in June. It was smooth. Smoked about 2 oz. in just 2 days! For me that is a lot of pipe tobacco. Skipped a cigar for it a couple of times too.

You might want to look into some blending tobacco's too. You can buy straight lat. and perique that you can add to blends.
    Sorry I haven't been on the forum too much lately. Busy. I have gotten a new shipment of blending tobaccos in including Cyprian Smyrna, St James Parish Pirique, Green river black Cavendish, and Cyprian Latakia. I'm expecting Yellow Virginia in the next day or so to add to the blending tobaccos I have in house. I have come up with a Walt's English blend to Walt's original and Walt's Mildly Cherry. I've started working on an oriental and an American blend as well. Really getting into this. May go into the business and get a tob license. LOL.
    J.S.:
    I cannot help with the Lane HGL, or the 2040. I did not care for 2030 Balkan, myself. I would recommend Hearth and Home's Black House as a Balkan. I picked up 4 oz. of it back in March. Tried it and it was a little rough (it had been backordered for quite some time). Put it in a jar and opened it up in June. It was smooth. Smoked about 2 oz. in just 2 days! For me that is a lot of pipe tobacco. Skipped a cigar for it a couple of times too. You might want to look into some blending tobacco's too. You can buy straight lat. and perique that you can add to blends.
    I liked the HGL, sort of English lite. I liked the Balkan, too, although it wasn't what I expected. There is something not there, I was expecting something along the lines of Sutliffes Balkan Luxury. Theres a stronger, oily element that's missing. Maybe like a Navy Flake? As far as the Dark English, I'm with Pilgrimtex, this reminds me very much of the Frog on the Town, maybe a perfect match. I didn't get the Cyprian, although I'm still curious about it. I may try that Hearth and Home Black house. Sounds good.