Home Cigar 101

Collection Size

Hey all,

Quick question I have gotten very into the world of cigars recently. I am now distinguishing flavors of what I like and don't like.  Up until now I have been just grabbing my cigar from the local B&M, and lighting up there. I think I am ready to get a small humidor, and a sampler of my favorite cigars. I was looking at the post a photo of your humidor setup thread, and it seems most of you have elaborate large selections of cigars, and big humidors.

My question is this, about how long of a period have you been accumulating your cigar collections? How big of a humidor should I start with. Also how many cigars would you suggest I start with. Please keep in mind I am a struggling young filmmaker haha so I am looking to save money.

Thanks,

Graham R

Comments

• SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    Humidor size......How ever many cigars you THINK you might collect then double the size of the humidor. You will always collect more than you think you will. Humidors are easily and quickly outgrown. Collection size.....The large collections you see in the pics didnt happen overnight. That is years of picking them up here and there. Find your favorite, then try other brands. Catch them on sale at your B&M, google them on the internet. Soon you will have a decent collection. Then the hard part comes....figuring out which one you want to smoke at the time. Collectingis about the thrill of finding that "special" one that you only read about. Maybe it's a single, maybe a box. Just enjoy it, that's why you do it in the first place.
  • tyronecttyronect Posts: 23
    I agree with SgtRick. For me, collecting and deciding what I want at the time are just as enjoyable as smoking them. I started with a 25 count and that was my first mistake. I found out quickly that you'll outgrow a small humidor really fast. I now have a 50 where I keep my singles and 2 150's where I store my larger amounts of my favorites and now I'm outgrowing them. I think it's about time to start looking at cabinets!lol
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Sgt. Rick's right on. Bigger is always better in this case.

I have a 20-stick desktop and a pretty good-sized coolidor. Right now, I only have about a hundred or so sticks in them. But I buy not to collect but to smoke 'em. I just happen to be unable to pass up a good buy, tightwad that I am, so I seem to accumulate them just a trifle faster than I smoke 'em.

Oh, well, life is good.

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as i said in a different thread

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

im trying to decide if this is a serious post or not.

• leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Grahamcracker:
    Hey all,

Quick question I have gotten very into the world of cigars recently. I am now distinguishing flavors of what I like and don't like.  Up until now I have been just grabbing my cigar from the local B&M, and lighting up there. I think I am ready to get a small humidor, and a sampler of my favorite cigars. I was looking at the post a photo of your humidor setup thread, and it seems most of you have elaborate large selections of cigars, and big humidors.

My question is this, about how long of a period have you been accumulating your cigar collections? How big of a humidor should I start with. Also how many cigars would you suggest I start with. Please keep in mind I am a struggling young filmmaker haha so I am looking to save money.

Thanks,

Graham R
    Get a nice 100 count desk top and then buy a large bin or cooler. Save your money for cigars!!!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    In general I agree, go bigger than you planned to. I have a 75 ct and I'm happy with it (and haven't yet had to go to a cooledor). Of course, I stupidly assumed when I got it it would fit 75 sticks. Sure, I could use more room and wish I would have gotten a little bit larger humi. But I just buy singles and keep the inventory flowing through. My endgame is that I'd like to have a nice cabinet so I could buy some boxes, but for now, I'm happy with what I have. Considering I only have a couple a week at most, I don't have too much of a need right now.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Having a humidor is a great way to get in on deals (daily deals, weekend blitz, etc.) and save yourself a TON of cash. Since most of the deals are for 5-20 cigars at once you can really get some premium smokes for little money but you need to have the ability to store them. I'd recommend getting the biggest humidor you can find for less than $100 (which will land you easily in the 100-150 ct. range) and then spend your money on the actual cigars.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have a 1000 count(or more) cabinet with an air conditioner in it, with about 1000 cigars in it right now, and room for more. I'm just gonna have to build a walk-in..
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    cabinetmaker:
    I have a 1000 count(or more) cabinet with an air conditioner in it, with about 1000 cigars in it right now, and room for more. I'm just gonna have to build a walk-in..
    ' Go for it!! I bet you can do miracles with your skills. Then pics :) I wish i can build my own as well. To OP, Like everybody says, you can only store about half of the intended pc count of the humidor.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I think you gentleman should actually start a revolution!!!

All in favor of Cabinetmaker and Waxingmoon actually putting a REAL cigar count with their humidors say "AYE"

I'd say the true measurement should be with a 52 or a 54 ring gauge!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Lasabar:

All in favor of Cabinetmaker and Waxingmoon actually putting a REAL cigar count with their humidors say "AYE"

Exactly! Who smokes 44 ring gauge anymore? The minimum ring on mine are about 54, with several being 56 and some 64 (Nub Habano).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    Lasabar:

Exactly! Who smokes 44 ring gauge anymore? The minimum ring on mine are about 54, with several being 56 and some 64 (Nub Habano).
    I smoke cigars with a ring smaller than 50 all the time, some of my favorite cigars sport a ring gauge of 42-44. Now that's not to say I am in support of the current method of sizing a humidor, because I'm not, it is very misleading and it seems the majority of people prefer something larger than a corona. So +1 for the Real Capacity Count (my name for the system).
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    cholmes8310:
    Lasabar:

I smoke cigars with a ring smaller than 50 all the time, some of my favorite cigars sport a ring gauge of 42-44. Now that's not to say I am in support of the current method of sizing a humidor, because I'm not, it is very misleading and it seems the majority of people prefer something larger than a corona. So +1 for the Real Capacity Count (my name for the system).
    Let's call it the Ring (Actual) Gauge System

So boys, make sure your humidors are on the R.A.G.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    cholmes8310:
    Lasabar:

or we could call it the Actual Ring Gauge System (ARG!) We'd be like pirates!
    nsezell:
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    cholmes8310:
    Lasabar:

Or we could call it the Gauge Actually Ring (for some english as a second language smokers), and then talk about the G.A.R. while we have a 'gar. Ok that was really reaching and quite bad...but at least we're done with that crap.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    nsezell:
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    cholmes8310:
    Lasabar:

Or we could call it the Gauge Actually Ring (for some english as a second language smokers), and then talk about the G.A.R. while we have a 'gar. Ok that was really reaching and quite bad...but at least we're done with that crap.
    You trying to get sued by George Rico?
    ...maybe...?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    its not the size of the collection but how you smoke it!

Wait, that doesnt sound right.