Home Pipes

A question about Nightcap

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
How dry does Nightcap come in the tin? I just tried it for the first time and it seemed very dry. Too dry really. I know preferences differ, etc. and I'll try hydrating some anyway just to experiment, but I'm curious if Nightcap usually comes dry or if I just got an off tin.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I had some the other night, burned like crap, real hot too, and def dry. I may try and rehydrate it a bit.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    catfishbluezz:
    I had some the other night, burned like crap, real hot too, and def dry. I may try and rehydrate it a bit.
    Thanks for responding. Mine burned well, but also hot. Didn't get a decent smoke out of it til I packed it really tight, probably on account of the dryness. I'm hydrating some now to see if it improves. At least I know yours was dry too though. I'll post what I figure out after some experimentation.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am not sure what you think of as dry but it comes a little drier than some, I think. The hotness could be the pace you are smoking at. I know a lot has been said about pace but a pipe needs to be sipped which is very different than a cigar. Also I have found that no more than two puffs at a time helps keep the heat down so when I draw it is puff . . . puff. I don't usually take a third puff unless I am tamping.

Smoking this blend too fast will make it smoke hot and the perique will cause tongue bite too. I have smoked a few tins of this and I find if smoked slowly it lasts a long time and is a nice long relaxing smoke.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have smoked a lot of Nightcap. Always comes out of the tin about 5 minutes from smoke ready. Set it out for 5 minutes, pack it, light it, done. Burns great and easy. You might have got bad tins but unlikely since DH is really good about how their tobacco is tinned.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    I think the tin I got must have not been sealed (by the time I got it, anyway). You're saying 5 minutes drying normally, but this definitely didn't need any drying time. It seemed really dry, but being DH and unfamiliar to me, I questioned it. I thought maybe that's just how Nightcap is supposed to be, but now I'm sure it just came too dry. Everyone says it's a slow burning tobacco too and mine certainly was not. Toward the bottom after I packed it really tight it slowed down and wasn't bad, but it started off burning quick. Hopefully a little rehydrating will fix it. After this is gone I'll order again from a different source maybe. Thanks to everyone that responded.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    mgk2020:
    I think the tin I got must have not been sealed (by the time I got it, anyway). You're saying 5 minutes drying normally, but this definitely didn't need any drying time. It seemed really dry, but being DH and unfamiliar to me, I questioned it. I thought maybe that's just how Nightcap is supposed to be, but now I'm sure it just came too dry. Everyone says it's a slow burning tobacco too and mine certainly was not. Toward the bottom after I packed it really tight it slowed down and wasn't bad, but it started off burning quick. Hopefully a little rehydrating will fix it. After this is gone I'll order again from a different source maybe. Thanks to everyone that responded.

This could happen but I wonder, when you opened the tin did you hear the seal break? If so it should have been fine. If not then yes, most likely that is the problem. rehydrate just a little at a time. It will take less then you think it will to get it back to a normal Rh.