Home Pipes

Bulk blending tobacco.

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
I was wondering if anyone has experience with single type bulk tobaccos used for making your own blends; specifically, how different brands compare. I've decided to try my hand at blending my own and need to order all the various types of tobacco, but can't afford to buy every type from every provider. So, does anyone have any advice on how C&D compares to Lane compares to G&H, etc.? Probably a bit of a long shot, but one never knows.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    This is really Walt's area. Where you are heading is beyond what I can do right now. Realize that there are many types of VA's for example ranging from bright to brown and red. The lighter the color, typically, the more spice, with the darker being sweeter and more complex.

There is more than one type of Lat. too. Knowing which type of VA, or Lat. or burley, can make or break a blend. A true blend will start with nothing and make something.

I do use Lat., for example to add to blends that are lacking what I think they need from time to time but that is very different than making a blend. Using someone else's blend and tweaking is not a big deal, starting with nothing and coming up with something that takes time. I still have a hard time distinguishing between various types of burley, and VA, and sometimes orientals too. I have a long way to go. I wonder what Walt might be able to add here for you.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    J.S.:
    This is really Walt's area. Where you are heading is beyond what I can do right now. Realize that there are many types of VA's for example ranging from bright to brown and red. The lighter the color, typically, the more spice, with the darker being sweeter and more complex. There is more than one type of Lat. too. Knowing which type of VA, or Lat. or burley, can make or break a blend. A true blend will start with nothing and make something. I do use Lat., for example to add to blends that are lacking what I think they need from time to time but that is very different than making a blend. Using someone else's blend and tweaking is not a big deal, starting with nothing and coming up with something that takes time. I still have a hard time distinguishing between various types of burley, and VA, and sometimes orientals too. I have a long way to go. I wonder what Walt might be able to add here for you.
    I'm in pretty much the same spot you are, but it seems like it'll be a lot of fun and will probably prove very educational. It should be much easier to see the difference between burley types when I control every variable, for instance. My expectations aren't results based, so even if I'm terrible at it I think it'll be worth it. Walt was the first person I thought of too. Lol. I've corresponded with him some on the topic of bulks and blends before, but not specifically about brand comparisons. Hopefully he'll weigh in next.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    mgk2020:
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with single type bulk tobaccos used for making your own blends; specifically, how different brands compare. I've decided to try my hand at blending my own and need to order all the various types of tobacco, but can't afford to buy every type from every provider. So, does anyone have any advice on how C&D compares to Lane compares to G&H, etc.? Probably a bit of a long shot, but one never knows.

Read the reviews provided by people who have tried a blend. I purchase all my bulk from one supplier. I read the reviews to get a hint on what I can expect. I stay away from tobaccos with mediocre reviews. Also study the types of tobacco so you also can have an idea what to expect if you order a certain type. Study and learn is the first part. I will try a test of a tobacco by buying 5-16 oz. to play with. Also what type of blend are you shooting for. research what you think you will need to achieve it. I make small test samples to test smoke what I come up with. I use a reloading digital powder scale and measure in grams. A typical test sample will run 20-30 grams (about 1oz). It's enough for a few bowls. I also test smoke each tobacco I smoke so I know what the taste and aroma is that it produces and how it may blend.
    Once you get bitten by the hobby you will probably no longer smoke a store bought blend. The reward is more than worth the effort. PM me and I will give you a source and pending your taste may make some suggestions or I can make them here. I'm in a period of time where I'm not on the internet as often as when Treva is working so be patient with me.
    By the way I was hoping to hear back from guys I supplied samples to. Feedback is important to me in tweaking my blends.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    pilgrimtex:
    By the way I was hoping to hear back from guys I supplied samples to. Feedback is important to me in tweaking my blends.
    I'd be happy to sample and report on anything you've got, but I'm not a veteran smoker so I may not be able to give specific details yet. My experiments with blending should change that. I would take it serious though. No hard feelings if you decide to pass on the offer. As for the bulk, my plan is to follow your system pretty much. So far the only site I've seen offering reviews on bulk blenders is P&C. There are a few types I've found not on P&C, but without reviews. I believe you've said before that you use P&C. So far nobody has indicated it makes much difference, so I'll probably just stick to ordering from P&C anything I can (using reviews) and just order a sample of what's available elsewhere to try myself. I just figured if word came back that X brand was significantly better than Y, etc. I could avoid reinventing the wheel. Thanks for the response. Keep an eye out for Mason's Tobacco Emporium! lol
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgk2020:
    pilgrimtex:
    I'd be happy to sample and report on anything you've got, but I'm not a veteran smoker so I may not be able to give specific details yet. My experiments with blending should change that. I would take it serious though. No hard feelings if you decide to pass on the offer. As for the bulk, my plan is to follow your system pretty much. So far the only site I've seen offering reviews on bulk blenders is P&C. There are a few types I've found not on P&C, but without reviews. I believe you've said before that you use P&C. So far nobody has indicated it makes much difference, so I'll probably just stick to ordering from P&C anything I can (using reviews) and just order a sample of what's available elsewhere to try myself. I just figured if word came back that X brand was significantly better than Y, etc. I could avoid reinventing the wheel. Thanks for the response. Keep an eye out for Mason's Tobacco Emporium! lol
    I've spent several hours now perusing the astounding array of options, building a mental shopping list.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    mgk2020:
    pilgrimtex:
    I've spent several hours now perusing the astounding array of options, building a mental shopping list.

I take it you liked my samples?
    First you start with a good base blend to which you add your aromatics etc. I use Lane Ltd. BLWB a light burley without bite. Then go from there. My Walt's original is only two tobaccos. BLWB and Altadis Black Kathy.
    My latest creation has 6 tobaccos in the blend.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Amos Umwhat:
    mgk2020:
    pilgrimtex:

I take it you liked my samples?
    Indeed! I have commented on each, but rather randomly throughout these posts. That BLWB is a great starting point, a base to add to, or modifier, a way to tame too strong tastes. Mixed 50/50 with the very cherry was good. I'm not usually a fan of cherry blends, burn too hot and too much bite, but that mix actually worked for me. The Black Kathy will be something I purchase regularly, improves everything it touches. The TK-6 is a stand alone, if need be, but also falls with the BLWB as a base, or a nice addition.

Also falling into that category for me, from Lane, is the HGL. I bought a couple ounces recently. Again, could stand alone, but was better as a part of a mixture. Recently I bought some Borkum Riff, bourbon blend. I remembered it as "OK, but not great", and wondered if I'd still feel the same. yep. did. Added 1/2 oz Black Kathy, and ounce of HGL, and a smattering of McClelland 5110 Dark English and produced a very palatable smoke.

I'm much indebted to you for the information that made that possible.
    Thanks- Amos
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain