Home Non Cigar Related

Roofing options

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
My wife and i have been in our house for almost a year and a half. We are going to be reroofing our house next summer or spring.... depends on funding obviously. lol We were planning on standard shingle roofing but then i saw a house with aluminum roofing panels. Anyone have an aluminum roof? i would think it would last longer than standard shingles but i have no clue honestly. input?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go metal if it fits your house style and budget. They are virtually indestructable. You might need to avoid colored metal roofing. Watch out for colors fading if you use colors. I'm sure some products are better than others. But if you go with the standard aluminum/silver color there will be virtually no fading. And you insurance company may offer a discount for metal roofing. It's worth checking.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Two things: If you have an HOA or are in a historic house/district check your rules first, buddy of mine forgot to do that and his HOA when apeshit and he had to essentially pay for two roofs (hate HOAs!) Second, if you do go with metal make certain you get quality sound insulation with the pounding the rain gives us here.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah we live in no area where there are rules. Lol it's awesome! Yeah the sound issue was a concern too. Not sure how much of a difference in sound we would be experiencing.
    If it's done right you shouldn't notice anything, but if it's done wrong it's like living in a travel trailer in a hail storm.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I like rain on a tin roof.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Hey, I like rain on a tin roof.
    I do too, but after every day for 10 straight months every year.... :)
    Lol yeah I could see that buggin me. We have a couple contractors coming by next week to do quotes. I do need our attic insulated as well so might hit them up for info on that too.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    More insulation is all ways good. I just had an extra 16 in added last year. What a difference it made the housefl feel. Get lots of bids the price didifference between two companies ia amazing. Ask around as well word of mouth is the best referral.
    Thats where a majority of our work comes from. All word of mouth. :) I think i can do the insulation myself... it cant be that hard really. lol Plus i like it in the attic! its kinda cool! We had several estimates for our roof last year 5k-7k... not a big fan of that much money but its needed.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    got lucky last year found a guy to do the roof gutters installation install soffit vents for 5500.00 bucks and did a great job. every time I asked him how much something extra would be to do something he would say buy the materials he will take care of it. A great guy told his crew several times to fix stuff that he did not like the way it looked even if it was not something they did.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Check first with your insurance carrier. Most do not cover Hail damage under the installation of metal roofing claiming that though it be dinged up horribly, it will not leak. It will however look horrid! Just a suggestion from someone who worked they're entire life in the construction business. And by the way, a good estimate is one that takes the cost of materials and adds to it only fifteen too twenty-five percent for labor cost depending on the pitch of your roof. Good luck with your project.