Home Pipes

Seasoning a new pipe - UPDATED

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
How? Lol
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    That depends on a few things. If it briar, which I assume it is it may come with a carbon layer already inside. If so then it will be black all the way down the inside of the bowl. If that is the case, no need to do anything but smoke a bowl. If you have bare wood inside then you need to start with about a half a bowl and smoke it. Do this a few times (10-12) until the heel and the bottom half of the bowl have a nice thin layer of cake starting to build. Then just smoke as normal. If you have a pipe that does not have the pre-carbon layer and is not just wood inside (i.e., Peterson's are stained) I like to take a Q-tip with high proof alcohol (I like Everclear for this) and wipe the inside of the bowl down. The stain is alcohol based and after 4 or 5 times of doing this the alcohol will remove it completely. The stain actually seals the wood making it very hard to get a layer of cake started by removing it the cake will build up normally. Then I start out with the half of a bowl method described above. Also, while you are breaking in a new pipe I try to smoke even slower than normal until a nice layer of cake builds up. No need to risk burning through a new pipe right from the start.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    That depends on a few things. If it briar, which I assume it is it may come with a carbon layer already inside. If so then it will be black all the way down the inside of the bowl. If that is the case, no need to do anything but smoke a bowl. If you have bare wood inside then you need to start with about a half a bowl and smoke it. Do this a few times (10-12) until the heel and the bottom half of the bowl have a nice thin layer of cake starting to build. Then just smoke as normal. If you have a pipe that does not have the pre-carbon layer and is not just wood inside (i.e., Peterson's are stained) I like to take a Q-tip with high proof alcohol (I like Everclear for this) and wipe the inside of the bowl down. The stain is alcohol based and after 4 or 5 times of doing this the alcohol will remove it completely. The stain actually seals the wood making it very hard to get a layer of cake started by removing it the cake will build up normally. Then I start out with the half of a bowl method described above. Also, while you are breaking in a new pipe I try to smoke even slower than normal until a nice layer of cake builds up. No need to risk burning through a new pipe right from the start.
    ^^^yep, like that
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! I haven't gotten my new pipe yet but it's good to know what to look for and how to handle it. :) thanks!
    My last bday gift came home with me today! :) best parents ever. Lol

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it smokes.
    Man what an awesome pipe! 3 bowls so far with it and its so much cooler and I think quite a bit more flavorful of a smoke. :) in pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy it. :)
    The bowl is a lot smaller than my usual pipe though. So it is a quicker smoke time but quite nice. Easier to relight if I let it sit too long. Which isn't very often.
    Yes, it looks like a classic style churchwarden, long stem but smaller bowl. That is a good thing, it will add times that you can smoke. I have a smaller style churchwarden myself, which I smoke more than I should because I only have 40 min. or so and a large bowl just would not work. You should have years of enjoyment out of it.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Now I want a churchwarden. Lol
    I say it's worth it! I have 13 pipes already and am happy to say just one more... Was just fine! Lol