Home General Discussion

Nubs

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Never had one. Are they worth picking a few up? My thing is it seems like they would be a quick smoke. I like kicking back and taking a chunk of time to relax. What are some of their pros and cons?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The camoroon is my favorite of the bunch. But its burn rate is about the same as longer cigars.
    One God, One Truth
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    roland_7707:
    The camoroon is my favorite of the bunch. But its burn rate is about the same as longer cigars.
    +1 I actually like them but they are not a short smoke. I have had most of them and can say I liked them all. I like variety. Good solid stick all round. Get yourself a sampler and you wont be disappointed.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cons? Can’t think of any. And, they don't smoke all that quick either. They are packed full and rolled tight with a big ring gauge and well constructed for a good burn. Never had a bad burn. They are tasty. I've had a few that I really loved. The Cameroon and the Maduro I liked best.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try em!! I really need to try some of the nub dubs
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

Good luck on finding the DUBS, they've been discontinued.
    The only thing that I'm not a fan of are the HUGE ring gauges, but that's how they get the monster smoke time so I deal with it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Gray4lines:

The only thing that I'm not a fan of are the HUGE ring gauges, but that's how they get the monster smoke time so I deal with it.
    They just came back not long ago...I thought.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Toombes:
    Gray4lines:

They just came back not long ago...I thought.
    LOVE the Nub Dubs!! Very tasty!!
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a Nub sampler in a catalog I got today.... Might have to give them a shot! :)
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Honestly I didn't care for them. I tried every one of them. They don't last as long as advertised....I mean duh...they are fatter but shorter and other cigars are just as packed as they are...which isnt much. More of a gimmick to me. But they are worth a try I guess.
  • DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    I've had the 460 Cameroon and I thought it was very tasty. Like everyone said before they are def not a short smoke. If you are a fan of bigger gauged cigars I would give it a try.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been awhile, fixin' to try one. I remember being less than impressed, don't like the huge ring gauge, as Toombes said.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked them all, and while they were good, the ring size is a deal breaker for me. Never got more than an hour out of any of them despite the claims of Churchill burn times. As I remember the Cameroon was my favorite, and the Nub Dub. I would not buy them, but if offered I would smoke them.
    Interesting...... some (like me) say they smoke looooong, other say no they dont. I cant explain the differences. I guess I just smoke slow.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cons: they have no complexity.

they taste good but i get bored with them
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Kuzi, they are very one-dimensional smokes. I didn't really like the conny or the cameroon at all, and the habano was just meh. The maduro is the only one that stood out at all, and even it was just "pretty good". As far as smoke time, I don't ever remember getting more than an hour out of one, and it seems like most of the time it was closer to 45 minutes. But the thing with cigars is that everyone has their own tastes. If you are curious about them, give them a shot. Alot of people love them, they just aren't really my thing.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    It's been awhile, fixin' to try one. I remember being less than impressed, don't like the huge ring gauge, as Toombes said.
    OK, so, I smoked the Nub Conny last night. I was expecting a difficult light, it wasn't. The large front lends itself well to toasting. About 5 minutes in, I'm in "the sweet spot" already, great connecticut flavor, which lasted about 30 minutes. The whole cigar smoked about 1hr 45min, but the first 35 minutes were the best. I don't like the hugeness, although it's not terrible, as my cigar spends most of its time resting in the ashtray.

What I came away with was this: It's not for me. I think it would be a great way to showcase your blend, because one could taste it, find the best of it quickly, and move on to something else. I'll never be a fan, don't see myself buying it on purpose. I prefer a cigar that I can light at about 7:30, smoke until 9:30 or 10. I guess that's why I like churchills.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Chips2481Chips2481 Posts: 52
    They are ok.  I bought some kind of sampler deal that was on sale I think april for 20 cigars.  I have 12 left.  I tend to choose cheaper cigars over them but maybe pull one out once every few weeks.  They are short but last just about as long as other cigars.  I though it would be a short smoke but better tobacco.
    I've decided to pick up a Cameroon tubo. Ill give it a try sometime next week depending on when i pick it up. Lol. We will see... If I don't like it it's not like i don't have plenty of other options. Lol
    Toombes:
    Gray4lines:

I just picked up a 10 pack of Nub Dubs on the SS.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:
    About 5 minutes in, I'm in "the sweet spot" already
    this is exactly what the cigar was designed for. if you read through my blending 101 thread you will find a discussion of why this is true. the NUB is a very interesting take on cigar blending.
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

I agree, they taste good. Not over the top in your face flavor but...right there. I get about an hour and a half out of the 460s and thats nubbing it..... nubbing a Nub.... hmm.... I think they are a great way to find what you like in terms of flavor tho. No real change in flavor.... you dont need to think about it and its not a rollercoaster ride of flavor explosion. I do hate the smoke right up in yo face tho. I enjoy a little smoke in the face/nose/eyes once in a while.... insert joke here..... but sometime with these cigars it can be a bit much. Also, if you get them for $3 bucks a stick... you cant go wrong.
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Vision:
    kuzi16:

I agree, they taste good. Not over the top in your face flavor but...right there. I get about an hour and a half out of the 460s and thats nubbing it..... nubbing a Nub.... hmm.... I think they are a great way to find what you like in terms of flavor tho. No real change in flavor.... you dont need to think about it and its not a rollercoaster ride of flavor explosion. I do hate the smoke right up in yo face tho. I enjoy a little smoke in the face/nose/eyes once in a while.... insert joke here..... but sometime with these cigars it can be a bit much. Also, if you get them for $3 bucks a stick... you cant go wrong.
    I also agree with this.
    Pros: Price, construction, and taste Cons: They lack complexity and the sweet spot is short like the cigar.
    I still think you should try them.
    I should get my nub tomorrow! :) was supposed to be today but the tracking on the package has gone dry. It left the east coast two days ago and was due in today. But no word of its location as of Monday. :(
    Not a bad stick.