Home Non Cigar Related

Joblessness in America, 16-19 year olds be damned

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    The read was a bit one-sided but the comments were closer to the real point that should have been discussed.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I can say I have noticed it as presented in people I interviewed back when I was doing interviews. Younger people tended not to have had any prior work experience, summer jobs or otherwise, while older people could count all the way back to their first detasseling job when they were young. I wonder, though, how much of this trend can also be placed on the migration to big cities? I say this because the agri-jobs and labor jobs are still there, and in some cases desperate, for workers to pick rock, shovel crap, tear off roofs, and do all the other general labor work. But that's just in my small area.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Yep. And now let's allow 9 million illegals enter that same job market. It looks like the admin is actually trying to collapse it. Say what? Yep. That's just what Cloward-Piven said to do. He's following it like a book.
    The inherent laziness of the younger generations are within themselves to blame for the lack of employment in today's society. Video games and computers, satellite TV, and the list goes on, an exceedingly high sense of self worth and a loathing of real work limits the availability of jobs they are willing to take. Jthanatos hit this one close to the head of the nail, so to speak, because of the unwillingness of those unemployed to do the same menial tasks of which I made a career of and in the process raised five children. Electrician, carpenter, plumber, roofer and tiller of the soil all have I done and it was better than being jobless and homeless.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    The inherent laziness of the younger generations are within themselves to blame for the lack of employment in today's society. Video games and computers, satellite TV, and the list goes on, an exceedingly high sense of self worth and a loathing of real work limits the availability of jobs they are willing to take. Jthanatos hit this one close to the head of the nail, so to speak, because of the unwillingness of those unemployed to do the same menial tasks of which I made a career of and in the process raised five children. Electrician, carpenter, plumber, roofer and tiller of the soil all have I done and it was better than being jobless and homeless.
    Though I do think that the idea that the next generation is much lazier than the current is not a new trend, your post made me think of this.
    jthanatos:
    RBeckom:
    Though I do think that the idea that the next generation is much lazier than the current is not a new trend, your post made me think of this.

Live a life of hard labor with a willing heart to do what is necessary to raise five children in todays economy and watch those same five kids set back, and know that all of they're friends are also sitting back doing nothing with they're lives, and you just might change your mind about the younger generations.
    By the way my friend, how old are you?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    But, but, what about their self es-teee-em? They're all little winners, no matter what! It's their Parents job to feed them, clothe them, give them everything they want, raise their children for them.

Or, so they've been taught.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    But, but, what about their self es-teee-em? They're all little winners, no matter what! It's their Parents job to feed them, clothe them, give them everything they want, raise their children for them.

i see this often at work. the people i hire in that are under 30ish just want to show up, do nothing and get a paycheck. they want work to replace mom. They want a trophy for being part of a group of people. id say about 75% of the people that we hire in that are under 30 last about 3 weeks. thisw is about the time they realize that they have to do real work in a restaurant so they walk out. the 3 weeks they are at work they stand around and when asked to do even the most basic of job tasks they get visibly upset that we inconvenienced them with having to do work at their job. A few times they even talk back.
    Its not like there is a group of kids that do well and have potential to move up and another group that is "ok" but will never move beyond the entry level. there is a small group people that are able to achieve the minimum of job requirements and the rest of the children want pay for no work.

i never thought that at the ripe old age of 32 i would be saying things like "kids these days," but apparently i am old before my time.

maybe some day they will learn a work ethic.

i hope.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop blaming young people. They didn't drop the ball. We did.

Who dismantled the family, destroyed accountability, grew government into a whale sized eternally war waging tax sucking frankenstein, shrunk opportunity by expanding regulation, spent ourselves into a gaping debt hole youth will never dig their way out of, embraced fascism, enforced atheism, multiplied public largesse, thwarted private initiative, ... ? Who did all this? Youth? Did they coddle their own selves then? We had no hand in it?

Look yourselves in the mirror.

What country were you handed?
    What country are you passing on?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    While I totally agree with this sentiment.....I also do not. I am 32, part of said video game-ME ME ME generation.....and I worked since the day after I turned 16 and continue to. Paid for my own college, etc. I was not rich AT ALL, and while not poor I was certainly lower middle class. I couldve leached off my parents and been a bum no doubt------but I think a little bit of the look on this generation is typical of every "older" generation always feeling theirs was better and they had it harder, etc.
    Vulchor:
    RBeckom:
    While I totally agree with this sentiment.....I also do not. I am 32, part of said video game-ME ME ME generation.....and I worked since the day after I turned 16 and continue to. Paid for my own college, etc. I was not rich AT ALL, and while not poor I was certainly lower middle class. I couldve leached off my parents and been a bum no doubt------but I think a little bit of the look on this generation is typical of every "older" generation always feeling theirs was better and they had it harder, etc.
    we are the same age. i am also 32. i work. im up for promotion.

our generation is the start of the end. we have a good percentage with a work ethic. get down to 27, 25, 20, 18, and i would have never DREAMED of acting like the majority of those kids do.
    of course there will always be the exceptions. im sure there are a few good kids out there. we just dont notice them because they are doing what they are supposed to be doing instead of being whiny little jerks.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    A lot of young people in ALL generations don't handle their first jobs well. It could just be more of a maturity issue than a generational one.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

Who dismantled the family, destroyed accountability, grew government into a whale sized eternally war waging tax sucking frankenstein, shrunk opportunity by expanding regulation, spent ourselves into a gaping debt hole youth will never dig their way out of, embraced fascism, enforced atheism, multiplied public largesse, thwarted private initiative, ... ? Who did all this? Youth? Did they coddle their own selves then? We had no hand in it?

I would agree with most of that. Though I think in a lot of areas we killed regulation in areas we needed it and put up regulation in areas we didn't.

I do agree that for whatever reason there are no losers anymore. I think that is wrong. Things are way toooooo PC in schools and in the job force. It takes a loss at times to win. I won a lot and I lost a lot, part of learning. I was amazed to hear from my friends that their kids never really do win ribbons or stuff for 1st place at school. Or 2nd and 3rd. However we are just setting up generations to fail because after they get into the real world they soon realize it's not so easy.
    Amos Umwhat:
    RBeckom:

:-)
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:

i see this often at work. the people i hire in that are under 30ish just want to show up, do nothing and get a paycheck. they want work to replace mom. They want a trophy for being part of a group of people. id say about 75% of the people that we hire in that are under 30 last about 3 weeks. thisw is about the time they realize that they have to do real work in a restaurant so they walk out. the 3 weeks they are at work they stand around and when asked to do even the most basic of job tasks they get visibly upset that we inconvenienced them with having to do work at their job. A few times they even talk back.
    Its not like there is a group of kids that do well and have potential to move up and another group that is "ok" but will never move beyond the entry level. there is a small group people that are able to achieve the minimum of job requirements and the rest of the children want pay for no work.

i never thought that at the ripe old age of 32 i would be saying things like "kids these days," but apparently i am old before my time.

maybe some day they will learn a work ethic.

i hope.

I held out hope for years until I finally had to realize that it is not to be.
    Vulchor:
    RBeckom:

Generally because it is true. We worked harder to provide our children with the things we could only dream of. The same has been the circumstance as far in history as you wish to revisit. We all want better for our children but what do our children want in return for us?
    16 - 19 year olds? They haven't a clue, and that is why it is up to the adult of the family to make hard choices. I remember spending countless hours, in the evening, helping my son do his homework for 12 years. I demanded (yes a bit harsh), that he do everything the teachers required. I did not leave it up to him. I consulted with the teachers about what was needed (he didn't know this). Like all teenaged boys, he fought it. There were times when he truly hated me. I had him cut my grass and those of the neighbors, during summer months to have his own spending money. He had to make enough to carry him through until the xMass break, at which time he worked at malls and Mcburger joints for spring spending money. It wasn't his choice. I did help him with college tuition and housing, but he was required to hold a part time job for his spending money. No spending cash ever came out of dad's pocket. He hated me for many years. I was just a tyrant controlling his life. LOL. Now, he's 30 yrs. old. He has a BS in Physics, and a MS in Engineering, has the title of Professional Engineer with 5 yrs. under his belt, and he finally thinks his old man is cool enough to spend some time with.

Show me a teenager with no ambition and I'll show you parents without ambition.
    beatnic:
    16 - 19 year olds? They haven't a clue, and that is why it is up to the adult of the family to make hard choices. I remember spending countless hours, in the evening, helping my son do his homework for 12 years. I demanded (yes a bit harsh), that he do everything the teachers required. I did not leave it up to him. I consulted with the teachers about what was needed (he didn't know this). Like all teenaged boys, he fought it. There were times when he truly hated me. I had him cut my grass and those of the neighbors, during summer months to have his own spending money. He had to make enough to carry him through until the xMass break, at which time he worked at malls and Mcburger joints for spring spending money. It wasn't his choice. I did help him with college tuition and housing, but he was required to hold a part time job for his spending money. No spending cash ever came out of dad's pocket. He hated me for many years. I was just a tyrant controlling his life. LOL. Now, he's 30 yrs. old. He has a BS in Physics, and a MS in Engineering, has the title of Professional Engineer with 5 yrs. under his belt, and he finally thinks his old man is cool enough to spend some time with.

+1
    But how far should we go with the tough love theory?
    I had to remove one from my house because of drugs and drinking and the profanity that accompanied it.
    As for ambition I lacked not a thing.
    Perhaps some of our youth simply refuses to accept life and what it incurs over time.
    On a side note.
    Congratulations on a job well done with your son.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    OK... 1 typing on phone... 2 love the topic ... 3 I have multiple kids. And see the differences between generations. While some of the younger people have no ambition I work around several almost retirement aged men who have such a sense of entitlement that they put Paris Hilton to shame. I will unabashedly admit I work very little but I will work when given the opportunity.

I have the opportunity to watch grown men sit and sleep for 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I am also enlightened to hear them then complain about being singled out. Hmmm I wonder why that would be.
    RBeckom:
    beatnic:

+1
    I had to remove one from my house because of drugs and drinking and the profanity that accompanied it.
    Perhaps some of our youth simply refuses to accept life and what it incurs over time.
    On a side note.
    I agree. Its' probably good that I only had one child. I probably would have screwed up the next one. I know that every one needs different rearing.
    On a side note, I was removed from my house for drugs, drinking and profanity. Go easy on him.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:

sounds like your son and mine had the same upbringing. I remember him, at 15, telling me "You're gonna be pretty lonely when you get old, 'cause you're not doing anything to make me like you"

The reply:

"It's not my job to make you like me. It's my job to produce a functioning adult that can make his own way in society. If I do that job right, you'll like me just fine, just not yet"

He was about 23, just back from Korea, when he told me about a private working under him, lecturing the private, and suddenly realizing "Dad was right. I've become Dad." and more!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    beatnic:

sounds like your son and mine had the same upbringing. I remember him, at 15, telling me "You're gonna be pretty lonely when you get old, 'cause you're not doing anything to make me like you"

The reply:

"It's not my job to make you like me. It's my job to produce a functioning adult that can make his own way in society. If I do that job right, you'll like me just fine, just not yet"

He was about 23, just back from Korea, when he told me about a private working under him, lecturing the private, and suddenly realizing "Dad was right. I've become Dad." and more!
    took me 25 years to become friends with my father.

best thing he ever did for me.
    beatnic:
    RBeckom:
    beatnic:

+1
    On a side note.
    I agree. Its' probably good that I only had one child. I probably would have screwed up the next one. I know that every one needs different rearing.
    On a side note, I was removed from my house for drugs, drinking and profanity. Go easy on him.

HE is still MY son.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

you hit the nail on the head !!
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    Stay Calm and Smoke Cigars
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iPhones and texting or working....... Tough choice.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Lazy young people were taught to be lazy. Young people willing to work for something were taught to do that. The fault lies with parents, schools, and government. They created this mess.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I am glad that I am old..... I will be gone before the fallout hits hard. Feel sorry for my kid though. (but he works his ass off so he will survive)
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    I am glad that I am old..... I will be gone before the fallout hits hard. Feel sorry for my kid though. (but he works his ass off so he will survive)
    He will work his ass off to pay interest on the insurmountable debt we're leaving him. At the present rate, in another three or four years we will spend more on interest every year than on defense. All bailouts aside, which of these two is a legitimate function of government: a) defending the country, or b) enriching bond holders?

It is a jaw dropper, innit?

The latest thing is floating rate federal bonds. There's a real brilliant idea. Floating rate payday loans. Love it.

Let's take out a floating rate payday loan to fund Obamacare. Pass it without reading so we can find out what's in it later. I need a liberal democrat to explain to me once again how that's going to reduce the deficit. Then we can take out a floating rate payday advance to build a wall the length of the border to keep out people who do want to work. I need a conservative republican to explain to me how that's going to create jobs. While we're at it, might as well shut down energy sources we do have, subsidize energy sources we don't have, build electric cars no one wants, tilt at windmills, fund the muslim brotherhood, ship pallets of cash to Kabul, and print more money to bail out banksters. I could go on; but it goes on faster than I can go on.

Hype and chains, brothers. I am ashamed we let this happen. On our watch. We did it. And I thought Dad was dumb.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)