Home Cigar 101

Taking Care of cigars in the 'stan

Has anyone on here deployed before and/or recently? Any tips on storing cigars in Afghanistan or Iraq? I got a hard case humidor kind've like a Herfador. its hard to get humidifiers to stay charged out here. any tips on jimmy rigging one?? I really appreciate any information i can get.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would go with tupperware out there. the 15 ct herf-a-dor does well also.

if you need to have the wood humi then i cant help you too much. dry air like that is difficult to work with.
  • Awesome. is there anything i should try to luine the tupperware with? and it is kinda hard to come by distilled water aswell. is there anything else i can try for a humidifier?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you can get spanis ceder you can put some of that int here.

as far as keeping it humid in there, Boveda humidity packs would work.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    as far as keeping it humid in there, Boveda humidity packs would work.
    that's what I suggest. I use them in my herfador without any worries. I'm so trusting that I don't even put a hygrometer in there...as I usually only use it for short periods of time.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Archangel32G:
    Awesome. is there anything i should try to luine the tupperware with? and it is kinda hard to come by distilled water aswell. is there anything else i can try for a humidifier?
    See if you can order a 50/50 Glycol Propylene solution and have it shipped out to you. It comes in a small 8 oz bottle. It's typically used in humidifiers as an antifungal agent but would work well in conjunction with the humipacks referred to earlier.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I used a piece of tupperware I got from the PX when in Iraq. Our CSM had three regular wood humidors though, and they all seemed to do fine. The biggest thing you need to consider is the actual area you are keeping your cigars. If you are staying in the CHU's, which have A/C and are somewhat climate controlled, the regular wooden humidor is good. If you are staying in mud huts like we did in Afghanistan, lol, then you probably want to go with tupperware. As far as humidty control, Boveda packs are the way to go. It is a little costly, but if you order them in 12-packs it cuts down on the cost quite bit. Hope you enjoy your tour over there, I know I did, Airborne!
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Archangel32G:
    Has anyone on here deployed before and/or recently? Any tips on storing cigars in Afghanistan or Iraq? I got a hard case humidor kind've like a Herfador. its hard to get humidifiers to stay charged out here. any tips on jimmy rigging one?? I really appreciate any information i can get.
    I'm in Iraq now. PM me.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    I used a piece of tupperware I got from the PX when in Iraq. Our CSM had three regular wood humidors though, and they all seemed to do fine. The biggest thing you need to consider is the actual area you are keeping your cigars. If you are staying in the CHU's, which have A/C and are somewhat climate controlled, the regular wooden humidor is good. If you are staying in mud huts like we did in Afghanistan, lol, then you probably want to go with tupperware. As far as humidty control, Boveda packs are the way to go. It is a little costly, but if you order them in 12-packs it cuts down on the cost quite bit. Hope you enjoy your tour over there, I know I did, Airborne!

Tony I order off the Boveda site and didn't see a 12 pack or discount ---is this where you ordered from or can you point me in the right direction ...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

Tony I order off the Boveda site and didn't see a 12 pack or discount ---is this where you ordered from or can you point me in the right direction ...
    PM sent.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I used a 50 ct regular humidor and used water pillows to humidify it. Never had any problems. The biggest problem was getting my hands on distilled water or solution but CCOM solved that since they will ship over there.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

PM sent.

Thanks 'Bro ...
  • SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    Archangel32G:
    I'm currently in Iraq. I use a wooden humidor in my office. It is a battle at times to keep the humidity right. I use the pillows and the humitubes. Temp is ok. I also have 2 15 stick travels and a 30 travel with a pillow. So far no problems. CCom ihas been very good about shipping out here.
  • Hey fellas thank you for all the tips i extremely appreciate it. i got my herfador and the 15 cigars i ordered about a week and a half ago today. ill definitely order some pillows. living in a tent with no a/c but i try to take a small traveler on mission so i can cycle those through til i hit some tupperware. hope all is well with you guys. and YES definitely enjoying the tour election time was absolutely insane but it passed. talk to yall soon.
  • My quick fix for distilled water is always the med shed. Your results may vary but our 18D's always had plenty of bottles of distilled water and were more than happy to throw some my way... even met a new smoke buddy to waste some time and trade with.