Home Cigar 101

B&M House blends, really unique?

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
Perusing at a couple different shops last week or so I got to wondering how unique each shop's house blends really are. Given the number of shops in the country I have a hard time accepting that they each have blends specifically for their shop, but I could be wrong (I am a bit of a skeptic at times). For large volume places, sure, I can see that; but developing a special blend for every little shop seems like low return on investment for the manufacturer. So when I saw "made by Pepin" or Fuente I wondered if maybe the factory just rolls a bunch to be sold as "house blends" for everyone? Anybody have the inside info on this?

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say you are probably right. Now maybe the big chains like Cuban Crafters and Tinder Box have special blends made up just for their stores. But I could be wrong.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I know the tinderbox does since the owner and all the big guys live around me and headquarters is maybe 10min away. Plus I know the people that sampled and approved the blends. I know fuente has unmarked sticks that come in huge bins like rp does but they are not specifically blended
    Money can't buy taste
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The local B&M here has (made by) Fuente/Ashton, Davidoff and RP, I was told that the sun grown Ashton I like is the same tobacco as the Ashton brand but the blend was (slightly) different? also that they are made by the less experanced rollers at the factory.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    onestrangeone:
    The local B&M here has (made by) Fuente/Ashton, Davidoff and RP, I was told that the sun grown Ashton I like is the same tobacco as the Ashton brand but the blend was (slightly) different? also that they are made by the less experanced rollers at the factory.
    that makes sense, they're "in training" cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    many house blends have potential, depending on how good of a relationship they have with a blender, to be unique. this is because of how tobacco is purchased in the raw tobacco market. if there is a leaf that is not able to be used i n large quantities or not in high demand they may use it for a house blend to get it out of storage.

this is not a statement on how good it will be.

good is not the same as unique.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    House blends vs Manufactured is something that gets a lot of attention and the reality is that name brands will make house blends specifically for online companies as well as private businesses. Boutique brands are a little different in that they actually go out and find the tobacco for themselves and then partner with others to create their own brand. There are a lot of boutique brands out there that are very good so do not dismiss this type of cigar brand but you will have to do some research or ask others. I can give you several names but don't want to appear as if I am "selling" for them...I don't but there are some very good cigars out there and you can PM me if you wish to know. Having said that there are unscrupulous owners out there who will take inferior product and buy it from manufacturers and then sell it as a "premium cigar" because 'words' tend to take on a life of their own esp. when it comes to marketing/advertising and it's your tastes that will tell you whether you buy again. Find a mentor or somebody who has been around and knows the territory when it comes to purchasing cigars...it will save you a lot of money in the long run instead of trying brands A thru Z which could cost you a lot. The more info you have the better and remember that it's your tastes that make the difference...don't let somebody talk you into or out of something that you like or dislike.