Home Cigar 101

Traveling with a Herf-A-Dor

I am going to traveling to Las Vegas soon. I was wondering if taking a Herf-A-Dor on the plane was ok, and if it is better for me to keep in carry-on or in luggage? (For going through security clearance)

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey claritysaints, welcome to you. I don't think it matters much as long as you don't keep your cutter and lighter in the carry on Herf-a-dor.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285

i am sure it is okay to take it on as your carry-on ... i just flew an intercontinental flight in june and i had my in my checked-in luggage. they never gave me any problems for being in there and the case didn't even have a scratch on it. i also had the case sitting on top so i am sure it took somewhat of a beating.

• The last time I flew I had my herf and cutter in my carry-on and I had no problems. Just dont put your lighter in your carry-on and you'll be fine.

CK
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    My only suggestion is that if you carry it in your carry-on, you might want to open it as the plane is landing. If not, the change in air pressure makes it hard as hell to open once you get on the ground. I learned this the hard way when I wanted to smoke a cigar during a two hour lay-over in Atlanta.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i took mine when i went to vegas.
    i did not take my cutter or lighter.

the shops down there are very service oriented if you buy there. they will cut for you.( i recommend the davidoff shops, best prices though they still over charge.) If you bring your own sticks, just cut them before you go. i would hate to see a good cigar cutter taken at security.

lighters and matches are all over the place. leave the good stuff at home.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    kuzi16:
    i took mine when i went to vegas.
    i did not take my cutter or lighter.

the shops down there are very service oriented if you buy there. they will cut for you.( i recommend the davidoff shops, best prices though they still over charge.) If you bring your own sticks, just cut them before you go. i would hate to see a good cigar cutter taken at security.

lighters and matches are all over the place. leave the good stuff at home.
    According to the TSA Website a cigar cutter is permitted in carry on bags. I would not bring an expensive one though because you never know whom you will encounter. It seems that their own published rules are subject to "their" opinion and I would probably get arrested if they took my Xikar Xi3.
  • Thank you very much everyone. As this was my first post on here I can see that cigar enthusiasts always help out others. Thanks again for all the info.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I have checked cutters/punches, lighters and matches and been ok. What I worry about more is those theives taking my sticks.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    claritysaints:
    I am going to traveling to Las Vegas soon. I was wondering if taking a Herf-A-Dor on the plane was ok, and if it is better for me to keep in carry-on or in luggage? (For going through security clearance)
    Last month I made a trip halfway around the world with a herfador in my carry-on filled with Cubans. I went from Baghdad-Kuwait-Doha-Houston-Portland-Houston-Doha-Kuwait-Baghdad. I had no problems at any of the security checks. I even had a twin blade cutter in the herfador as well. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are bringing a torch lighter though I would put that in your checked bag.