Home Cigar 101

Wrapped Cigars in a Humidor

Greetings,

My humidor stays around 70, and I keep 20-40 wrapped cigars in it until I run out. Should I remove the wrappers when I put the cigars in the humidor?

THANKS!!

Comments

• BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Welcome to the forum jakejohn! I wouldn't get too caught up on the issue as to keep them wrapped or unwrapped. As long as you keep a steady temp/RH level you should be good. Its really just about preferance.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    jakejohn:
    Greetings, My humidor stays around 70, and I keep 20-40 wrapped cigars in it until I run out. Should I remove the wrappers when I put the cigars in the humidor? THANKS!!
    WELCOME !

I keep my sticks in the cellophane. My experience is that humidors typically keep better humidity levels when they are at least 50% full. Try not to have an empty humidor. (hint hint)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome jakejohn. As said, a full humidor (75% full or better) is easier to maintain humidity. As far as cellophane on or off, it really doesn't matter. I like to keep mine on just because it protects the cigar from damage as I handle them.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Cellophane on or off is a debate that will never end. It's personal preference, some like it because it protects them if you're gonna poke around clumsily in there. Some (like me) just can't be bothered to take it off.

FYI, though, the wrapper of the cigar is the outermost leaf of tobacco, the one you see when you look at the cigar. It gives the cigar most of it's flavor. That should stay on. If it doesn't, stop smoking Gurkhas.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Cellophane on or off is a debate that will never end. It's personal preference, some like it because it protects them if you're gonna poke around clumsily in there. Some (like me) just can't be bothered to take it off.

FYI, though, the wrapper of the cigar is the outermost leaf of tobacco, the one you see when you look at the cigar. It gives the cigar most of it's flavor. That should stay on. If it doesn't, stop smoking Gurkhas.
    thats funny

my only point of disagreement is that the "cellophane on or off" is not a debate.
    it isnt a debate because really, it doesnt matter.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Welcome....guess the others have given you the sage advice you need and I'd add one more thought about keeping the cello on...I do it but I cut off the ends and head of the cello to let the humidity of the humi do its work. Nothing better than 'yellow cello'...
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Cigary:
    Welcome....guess the others have given you the sage advice you need and I'd add one more thought about keeping the cello on...I do it but I cut off the ends and head of the cello to let the humidity of the humi do its work. Nothing better than 'yellow cello'...
    Nice quote...... could make a song out of that..... "They call me Yellow Cello....quite rightly"
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Welcome jakejohn. As said, a full humidor (75% full or better) is easier to maintain humidity. As far as cellophane on or off, it really doesn't matter. I like to keep mine on just because it protects the cigar from damage as I handle them.
    What Bob Said....Would you care to guess what the most asked question here has been ? Cello on/ Cello Off... the "discussion" continues. Welcome good man, nice to have you along.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    ..... I take the cello off....... I believe the sticks can hear me better as I sing to them while they rest.... all snuggled up in perfect temp and RH....

Taking the cello off really doesn't make a difference in my experience. Some people claim that they age better without. A B&M told me that if you plan on keeping them in the humi for more than three months, take it off. I generally do take it off although have gotten lazy on a few boxes and haven't noticed a difference in aging. I do take pleasure in seeing the plum develop which is easier to see without the cello. Another big advantage - and perhaps the most important - is not having to collect the empty cello laying around after having a big herf with the buddies (lazy buggers can never throw them away).
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"