Home Cigar 101

what makes it get hard?

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
When a cigar goes out on me, there's always a hard section at the dead end. Why? What happens there?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for me, I really respond to a nice shapely pair of,.............wait, uh. Never mind.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Milan Kunis, Kristen Bell, should I go on?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Construction flaw? Tar buildup?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Construction flaw? Tar buildup?
    I always suspected the filler was packed too densely ..... or tar buildup too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This always seems to be the case whenever I have a bad burn that won't go away and always ends up with the cigar getting to the point it just won't stay lit. I just assume its a case of bad bunching of the slower burning leafs that wind up on one side instead of where they should be.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    This always seems to be the case whenever I have a bad burn that won't go away and always ends up with the cigar getting to the point it just won't stay lit. I just assume its a case of bad bunching of the slower burning leafs that wind up on one side instead of where they should be.
    yup. its a construction issue. the cigar going out isnt causing the firmness, the firmness is causing the cigar to go out.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe it. It forms a hard as a rock plug about 3/8" long at the place the fire died. That spot wasn't there before, I'm betting. Something turns the dead spot into cement. Happens suddenly, too.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I don't believe it. It forms a hard as a rock plug about 3/8" long at the place the fire died. That spot wasn't there before, I'm betting. Something turns the dead spot into cement. Happens suddenly, too.
    that really sounds like tar or something then. If it is progeessive, it has to be from the heat or pulling smoke through.

could a "small" construction flaw like bad bunching cause a buildup to happen more easily. Think lipitor commercials with clogged up arteries. Happens little by little at a restricted point until it is all clogged up. Im just guessing
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    webmost:
    that really sounds like tar or something then. If it is progeessive, it has to be from the heat or pulling smoke through.

could a "small" construction flaw like bad bunching cause a buildup to happen more easily. Think lipitor commercials with clogged up arteries. Happens little by little at a restricted point until it is all clogged up. Im just guessing
    There's a thought.

Last night I'm in the garage smoking an AJ Over-Run. It's a rainy night after a rain rain rainnitty rain day here in the fine state of Delawain. Watching preseason football replay Seahawks vs Chargers. God bless NFL Network. Sure enough, this stick starts to plug up. Mind you, I had felt this stick up end to end before lighting. Loose and easy draw. Soon as the plug starts, I feel by the business end, it's hardening. Powered through a couple matches to keep it alive. (A rank experience begad). No prob after that. Whatever happens to plug them up appears to me to be related to damp and makes a rank flavor.

59 degrees here this morning. In mid effin August! Tell you, that Gorebull Warbling is really kicking our butt. By the afternoon, I may have to swap the leather jacket for a denim one. Is that the sea I see rising? Nope, just another puddle won't dry up. I have wet spots on the garage floor two days old. I just handed the Speckled Bearswatter one of my rain suits to wash the mildew off. Unreal. Today, I'm gonna take some sticks to work, take a lunch break, and go smoke one on the old abandoned bridge axross the flooded crick. Watch water flow by. Ought to make a good break in my day.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Last night I'm in the garage smoking an AJ Over-Run. It's a rainy night after a rain rain rainnitty rain day here in the fine state of Delawain. Watching preseason football replay Seahawks vs Chargers. God bless NFL Network. Sure enough, this stick starts to plug up. Mind you, I had felt this stick up end to end before lighting. Loose and easy draw. Soon as the plug starts, I feel by the business end, it's hardening. Powered through a couple matches to keep it alive. (A rank experience begad). No prob after that. Whatever happens to plug them up appears to me to be related to damp and makes a rank flavor.

59 degrees here this morning. In mid effin August! Tell you, that Gorebull Warbling is really kicking our butt. By the afternoon, I may have to swap the leather jacket for a denim one. Is that the sea I see rising? Nope, just another puddle won't dry up. I have wet spots on the garage floor two days old. I just handed the Speckled Bearswatter one of my rain suits to wash the mildew off. Unreal. Today, I'm gonna take some sticks to work, take a lunch break, and go smoke one on the old abandoned bridge axross the flooded crick. Watch water flow by. Ought to make a good break in my day.

You know, Davis, you really ought to get a gig writing product reviews for cigar catalogs. You're the J. Peterman of cigar-smoking experiences, but in a good way. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    heat causes tobacco leaves to swell exaggerating any flaws in the bunch. what feels "fine" before the light may still be an issue after.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Is this all from one cigar, or different sticks over different brands?
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    Is this all from one cigar, or different sticks over different brands?
    Different and different.

kuzi16:
    heat causes tobacco leaves to swell exaggerating any flaws in the bunch. what feels "fine" before the light may still be an issue after.
    Wish I could roll a decent perfecto. My robustos came out presentable after three tries. My perfectos suck. Yes, I've watched the vids.