Home General Discussion
Options

Davidoff Nicaragua: Game changer?

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
During my home leave I smoked many Davidoff Nicaragua cigars. I am a huge Habano fan but also smoke cigars from other countries. However, I always enjoy the unique flavors from Nicaragua and Dominican Republic. Nicaraguan Pelo de Oro is one of the best tobacco on earth. This is the reason why I have been smoking a lot of Pepin's cigars lately.

The main problem of non-Cuban cigars are the strong aftertatse and overpowering strength and spice...specially the Nicaraguan cigars. Some top Nicaragua Puros are very good after couple years of aging. However, after smoking the Davidoff Nicaragua, I am close to change my mind. It is smooth with little aftertaste. It is a Dabivoff cigar but with all the positive ingredients of Nicaragua. I question myself- is Davidoff Nicaragua going to be a game changer? I do not see any threat to top Cubans but to Padron and other Nicaraguan brands.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Haven't smoked mine yet, looking forward to it. I will say this, the Regius Orhant was fantastic. The elogio habano is box worthy as well. Rich flavors that do not overpower and have unbelievable depth. There are people in Nica right now producing cigars I think can compete. I had three cigars last night, only one habanos. Elogio and Regius are there. KBF is doing some amazing multi country blends as well. Now that you're back, PM me your addy. I have some KBF and others for you.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Its not a game changer unless you like medium and mild cigars. The trend in the industry is fuller bodied and the davidoff nicaragua is not that. Not only that, but illusione eperney is medium. There is no ligero in those. A balanced cigar from nicaragua is clearly not new. Its just the opposite of the trend.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Its not a game changer unless you like medium and mild cigars. The trend in the industry is fuller bodied and the davidoff nicaragua is not that. Not only that, but illusione eperney is medium. There is no ligero in those. A balanced cigar from nicaragua is clearly not new. Its just the opposite of the trend.
    Ill just say this. It's a welcome trend for me. As the industry moves toward bigger and stronger cigars,, I find myself going in the opposite direction, enjoying milder cigars, mostly Dominicans with subtle notes that dont get lost in the power chord. I still enjoy full bodied cigars but I do enjoy mild/medium ones too and more frequently as of late. Havent tried a Davidoff Nicaragua, just havent gone out my way to look for em, all things in due time.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:
    Ill just say this. It's a welcome trend for me. As the industry moves toward bigger and stronger cigars,, I find myself going in the opposite direction, enjoying milder cigars, mostly Dominicans with subtle notes that dont get lost in the power chord. I still enjoy full bodied cigars but I do enjoy mild/medium ones too and more frequently as of late. Havent tried a Davidoff Nicaragua, just havent gone out my way to look for em, all things in due time.
    i like free ones, strong or mild,lol
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I just had one. Now my palate is not as experienced as most of you but I loved it. The only other Davidoff I've had was a Classic and I loved that one too. I normally don't drop that kind of scratch on a single but I just had to try it. Glad I did. I can't tell if its a game changer but it was memorable
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:

Amen bro !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I think Nicaragua already produces a lot of good, medium cigars. San Lotano Habano, JDN Celebration, Elogio. Not to say that Davidoff can't do the same. Gonna have to hunt one down.
  • Options
    curtpick:
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:

Amen bro !
    ill agree here. i like the smaller rings and medium body.

and just to clear up ay confusion:
    im not saying the Davidoff Nicaragua wasnt great. i am saying that a mild nicaraguan option is out there already and has been for a while. Illusione Eperney is the game changer. Cabaguan is the game changer. the Davidoff Nicaragua, even though more enjoyable than either of those two (IMHO), is a bit late to the game.

not only is it late to the game but is not what most people are willing to pay for. at some point, it may be a numbers game.

i agree with everyone's general sentiment about how great the cigar is and how it is one of the best utilizations of Nicaraguaqn tobacco that you can find on the market today.
    it isnt the best Davidoff i have had and its arguable on if it is the best Nicaraguan i have had. but it is a damn fine smoke.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:
    I agree with both quotes..... I enjoy DPG whole heartedly but find myself drawn to cigars that dont punch you in the face but more keep you on your toes. I cant pick out flavors like the vets but still enjoy that "wow".... "I didnt expect that change" out of my cigar. I tend to find that more in a Mild/Medium more then I do a flamethrower of a cigar. In the more Full/REAL FULL cigars the change is tougher to pick up and I think the pallet might be a bit over whelmed by the spice to notice the change. IS it also me that I find it tougher to pair a drink with a full then a mild.... A coffee or whiskey can really settle well with a medium..... I dont know...
  • Options
    I was talking about top Nicaraguan brands like Padron and few others not the regular Nicaraguan cigars. most of the top Nicaraguan cigars need aging to soften up the over spice and the harshness...even the medium bodied cigars. Though Davidoff Nicaragua has been released recently but it is very smooth. The other great part is its soft aftertaste. Even the Illusione Eperney has stronger aftertatse than Davidoff though it has no ligeros. There are some balanced Nicaraguan cigars but lack Davidoff Nicaragua's smoothness and mild aftertatse. However, DPG 10th Anniversary is exceptional. The closest Nicaraguan smooth cigar would be Regius. I believe there will be a trend to make more medium bodied cigar from Nicaragua. I can see that in DPG 10th Anniversary, Harerra Esteli, Regius and few other. I ask Don Pepin why his 10th Anniversary is so light in strength compares to his regular cigars. He told me because he wanted his special release to be packed with flavors and aroma with less strength. All I am saying is Davidoff has the capacity to push the bar up. Again, I am talking about a selective market not about the market trend. After all, Davidoff, Padron, Illusione make cigars for a smaller group of people. If Davidoff and other Nicaraguan cigar makers follow this trend for a selective group of customer, I believe there are good numbers of smokers who would welcome it. Nicaraguan cigars have unique flavors and aroma and I would like to more medium bodied Nicaraguan cigars like this.
    kuzi16:
  • Options
    Peter, your palate has been more refined now. that's why you enjoy more mild/medium cigars because you want to enjoy the flavors and aroma.
    Vision:
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:
    I agree with both quotes..... I enjoy DPG whole heartedly but find myself drawn to cigars that dont punch you in the face but more keep you on your toes. I cant pick out flavors like the vets but still enjoy that "wow".... "I didnt expect that change" out of my cigar. I tend to find that more in a Mild/Medium more then I do a flamethrower of a cigar. In the more Full/REAL FULL cigars the change is tougher to pick up and I think the pallet might be a bit over whelmed by the spice to notice the change. IS it also me that I find it tougher to pair a drink with a full then a mild.... A coffee or whiskey can really settle well with a medium..... I dont know...
  • Options
    I agree with you about the price. In fact it is overpriced as most of the Davidoff cigars. Definitely it is not the best Davidoff. To me Davidoff Royal Robusto is still the best non-Cuban Davidoff.
    kuzi16:
    curtpick:
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:

Amen bro !
    ill agree here. i like the smaller rings and medium body.

and just to clear up ay confusion:
    im not saying the Davidoff Nicaragua wasnt great. i am saying that a mild nicaraguan option is out there already and has been for a while. Illusione Eperney is the game changer. Cabaguan is the game changer. the Davidoff Nicaragua, even though more enjoyable than either of those two (IMHO), is a bit late to the game.

not only is it late to the game but is not what most people are willing to pay for. at some point, it may be a numbers game.

i agree with everyone's general sentiment about how great the cigar is and how it is one of the best utilizations of Nicaraguaqn tobacco that you can find on the market today.
    it isnt the best Davidoff i have had and its arguable on if it is the best Nicaraguan i have had. but it is a damn fine smoke.
  • Options
    Rick, JDN has unique flavors and aroma. I like them but can't smoke without aging. JDN Antano and celebration are very enjoyable after a year of aging.
    beatnic:
    I think Nicaragua already produces a lot of good, medium cigars. San Lotano Habano, JDN Celebration, Elogio. Not to say that Davidoff can't do the same. Gonna have to hunt one down.
  • Options
    Amen
    The Kid:
    kuzi16:
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    knowledgeable and totally friendly. Thanks for your input Rip. You should visit New Orleans.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You need to try Elogio Rip, and the Orchant as well. Dot make me dig my PM's for your addy lol.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    You need to try Elogio Rip, and the Orchant as well. Dot make me dig my PM's for your addy lol.
    agree. that is another Nicaraguan cigar that is well balanced. i feel that it is also better than the Davidoff Nicaragua as far as medium bodied Nicaraguan cigars go.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    I was talking about top Nicaraguan brands like Padron and few others not the regular Nicaraguan cigars. most of the top Nicaraguan cigars need aging to soften up the over spice and the harshness...even the medium bodied cigars. Though Davidoff Nicaragua has been released recently but it is very smooth. The other great part is its soft aftertaste. Even the Illusione Eperney has stronger aftertatse than Davidoff though it has no ligeros. There are some balanced Nicaraguan cigars but lack Davidoff Nicaragua's smoothness and mild aftertatse. However, DPG 10th Anniversary is exceptional. The closest Nicaraguan smooth cigar would be Regius. I believe there will be a trend to make more medium bodied cigar from Nicaragua. I can see that in DPG 10th Anniversary, Harerra Esteli, Regius and few other. I ask Don Pepin why his 10th Anniversary is so light in strength compares to his regular cigars. He told me because he wanted his special release to be packed with flavors and aroma with less strength. All I am saying is Davidoff has the capacity to push the bar up. Again, I am talking about a selective market not about the market trend. After all, Davidoff, Padron, Illusione make cigars for a smaller group of people. If Davidoff and other Nicaraguan cigar makers follow this trend for a selective group of customer, I believe there are good numbers of smokers who would welcome it. Nicaraguan cigars have unique flavors and aroma and I would like to more medium bodied Nicaraguan cigars like this.
    kuzi16:
    I've noticed that a lot as well. One of the reasons why maybe I am moving more to cubans, davidoff, and a few others mentioned here. Though I do love the stronger cigars they IMO need some rest. Some more than others but as trends go, they will pass. I ordered a 4 pack of these new davidoff and I am looking to smoking one so I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.