Home Ratings & Reviews

Graycliff Avelino Lara

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Had my first one of these the other night. The first inch was really harsh with a very tight draw. It did loosen up and mellow out a little bit about an inch or so in, and I started picking up some cashew and cream flavors. There was nothing too distinct, and even after the draw loosened up it was still a good bit tighter than I really dig. I feel like this is one of those cigars that will blow your mind in about a year or so. If you have room in the aging humi, or can deal with buying something to let just sit in your regular humi for 6 months to year, I'd recommend picking some up. I think that with a decent amount of age on them, they will be the epitome of a creamy, flavorful, medium-bodied smoke.

Anyone else try these yet? I'd love to hear some other opinions on them, especially if anyone has tried them with a few months of age on 'em.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought a five pack when they first came out. First one was spongy and unsmokeable. No draw, no smoke. Second one was 6 months later and better, but I still couldn't get much of anything. Seems like that five pack may need some time before it's smokeable, but I didn't have the patience or desire to wait, so I gave them away. They're probably fine by now. I may try them again sometime, but I'm in no rush. I think they have potential, but I'm not in the mood lately for that kind of project.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Russ55:
    I bought a five pack when they first came out. First one was spongy and unsmokeable. No draw, no smoke. Second one was 6 months later and better, but I still couldn't get much of anything. Seems like that five pack may need some time before it's smokeable, but I didn't have the patience or desire to wait, so I gave them away. They're probably fine by now. I may try them again sometime, but I'm in no rush. I think they have potential, but I'm not in the mood lately for that kind of project.
    I have had a couple. Graycliff is not one of my top brands but anything new is good to try. I had a similar problem with the smoke. I assumed they needed more time or there could have been an construction issue. Either way I am not going to revisit for a while.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Give them at least a year and they'll surprise you. While not my favorite brand, the Avelino is my pick of the litter. The draw was great, lots of creamy smoke, and some good flavor. If memory serves me, I picked up cream, cedar, cashew/almond and just a hint of cinnamon in the flavor profile. The spice was more noticeable in the retrohale, obviously. Granted, this isn't a stick I'm going to hunt down but I'd pick up a few to age if I came across a good deal.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    the ones I have must have been sitting in the shop humidor for a while, my experience was like Toombes, spicier than the 30-year but with the same smoothness of flavor without any harshness. I only had them about 2 weeks before I tried one. I'll have to burn one again soon.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Give them at least a year and they'll surprise you. While not my favorite brand, the Avelino is my pick of the litter. The draw was great, lots of creamy smoke, and some good flavor. If memory serves me, I picked up cream, cedar, cashew/almond and just a hint of cinnamon in the flavor profile. The spice was more noticeable in the retrohale, obviously. Granted, this isn't a stick I'm going to hunt down but I'd pick up a few to age if I came across a good deal.

See this is what I was thinking, glad to get some confirmation on it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a decent smoke but mine had 3 soft spots in it, that really surprised me considering the price point on these. Glad I got mine in a sampler. The turbo limitada is still my favorite of the ones I've tried.