Home Cigar 101

Humidor RH won't go down

So I picked up a Xikar digital hygrometer the other day, and did the salt test to calibrate it today. Right now I'm getting pissed off because I've had my humidor almost 3 weeks and haven't been able to put cigars in it and now some are starting to get cracks in some.

Problem right now is that my RH is too high, and doesn't seem to want to go down. I re-saturated the humidifier that came with the box 3 days ago and it's still sitting at 79%. Is that not long enough for the RH to drop? Really starting to get frustrated and almost making me not even want the damn thing.

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Put your smoke into Ziplocs with a Boveda until you get the humidor "right".
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Steve on boveda! But why resaturate the crap humidifier if your running too high?!?! That's just nuts! I think you need to read more threads on this bud I'm sorry if I sound like a ahole but really?!?!
    Money can't buy taste
  • SmokeWISmokeWI Posts: 64
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I agree with Steve on boveda! But why resaturate the crap humidifier if your running too high?!?! That's just nuts! I think you need to read more threads on this bud I'm sorry if I sound like a ahole but really?!?!
    No, I wasn't running too high before I resaturated the humidifier.To be honest, I don't know exactly where I was running because the analog one that came with the box was garbage and only got the digital one 4 days ago.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Put your smoke into Ziplocs with a Boveda until you get the humidor "right".
    definately do this. At the very least put them in a ziplock bag. They'd have been just fine for at least a week without any humidifcation if you'd done this. Now as far as the humi goes. First what did your new hygrometer read after doing the salt test for at least 8 hours? If it didn't read exactly 75 then you have to calibrate it if it can be done on your model. If not then you just got to do the math.
    Now if the humi is still to high just air it out for a bit. Or put in cedar strips,Or a bowl of rice to absorb the extra humidity till you get it down to 65-70. Take out the humidifier while doing this or you'll just be throwing gas on the fire.
    Sorry didnt specify, all of my cigars are in ziplocs and have been since i got them..but ive had them for more than a week. And i didnt do the 8hr salt test, i followed the directions on the xikar sheet that came with my digital and did 5hrs at which point it says to push and hold the calibrate button until it reads 75
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Prop the lid open for a while. It will come down eventually. LIke stated above, add a bowl of rice if it still isn't coming down fast enough.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Dessicant paks....they work for things like this. Those little packets you receive from the shoe store that they put inside your shoes...one of those will bring any humidor RH down in a couple of hours. The smaller ones they put in pharmacy bottles...those will help if your humidor is smaller but you'd have to use about 3 or 4 of them. Or.....put a cup of kitty litter inside and it will soak up the RH within 24 hours. I've got a feeling that your humidor was seasoned with too much DW..which is why it's at that number and usually when you fill your humidor with cigars it will come down anyway as the cigars will soak up the excess RH. If that doesn't work send me the humidor and I'll tame it.
    Alright, well I just pulled the humidifier out and added a cup of rice to it. I'll check it again tonight when I get home from work and then again tomorrow morning.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll be fine. Don't get discouraged. I still think you hygrometer's just too wet. (EDIT: I MEANT TO SAY HUMIDIFIER) At this point I have one do and two don'ts for you. Do put your cigars in there after the RH drops to 70% or less (without the humidifier). Don't put your humidifier back in your humidor until your hygrometer says you need to and take it back out if your hygrometer says you need to. AND Don't add any more distilled water to your humidifier until your hygrometer says you need to and even then only a tablespoon.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose everything's all hunky-dory now? We like to hear about good results if you get 'em.
    Guy at the b&m I go to gave me a jar of xikar beads for free, and I've had em in it for 3 days now and its reading at 70% steady for the last 24% hours. Gonna wait a little longer before putting my cigars in though just incase.