Home Cigar 101

Noob here! Could use some recommendations.

Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
So I'm going to be receiving my first humidor and looking for some recommendations. I was wondering if there is anything that's tastes and smells like pipe tobacco ?
Any other recommendations are welcome as well.
However please keep in mind I'm new and am not currently budgeting for super expensive cigars :)

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, the new Kentucky Fire Cured from Drew Estates uses pipe tobacco. I believe they are set to release in September. Other than that, I'd recommend picking up a couple of samplers from here.

Have you smoked any cigars before? Do you have anything that you already know you like? If not, go with something that runs the gamut, the Oliva All-In One Collection is pretty good. You get maduros, cameroon, connecticut, sumatra, and criollo wrappers. It will help you get an idea of what you like, and where to go from there. The Top-Rated Baker's Dozen sampler is a good one too, although not as diverse in wrappers, it showcases a selection of brands and are all good cigars.
  • SmokeWISmokeWI Posts: 64
    Last winter, I sort of transitioned from cigars to pipe smoking for the winter season, something about an hour smoke in -30degree weather didn't seem appealing.

From my personal experience, I haven't had any cigars that taste like pipe tobacco, especially if you were an aromatics fan. I personally find that cigars give off more flavor than pipe tobacco, even aromatics.

As far as recommending cigars and brands at a lower price, I'll leave that to the other members who have a lot more experience than I do. I will say that that it might be a good idea to watch the sprint sale (www.cigarsprintsale.com) for any possible samplers that other members recommend, and when you do start getting a good feel for what you like, this is a great way to get some amazing deals.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Tabak from Drew Estates might be the closest.... but agree with most that pipe tobacco flavor profile is totally different.... it also hits the pallet differently. I smoke non-aro for my pipe and usually go for more of a Scottish Mix which I havent found anything like it in a cigar.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your experience so far been only with pipes? Could you tell us what cigars you've had so far that you liked and what cigars you've had that you'd rather not smoke again?It would help us steer you to some recommendations for you based your experience so far.

The following advice may not apply to you but if any beginner is basically starting from scratch and is asking for recommendations I would feel comfortable handing them a 5 Vegas Gold, a 5 Vegas Classic, an AVO classic, or a CAO Gold or CAO Black. All of these are well liked, reasonably priced and can be found at even better prices on the sprint sale (reverse auction) on this website, cigar.com. (But they would have to buy five or ten at a time) Also, a couple of sampler recommendations I would offer for a total beginner would be the Timeless Ten Collection or the Best of Connecticut Sampler.

Something for you to do is to support your local cigar shop. Sample some single cigars from them. Ask them for recommendations too. You will pay more but you won't have extra cigars to deal with if you decide you don't like your choices that much.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Vision:
    I would say Tabak from Drew Estates might be the closest.... but agree with most that pipe tobacco flavor profile is totally different.... it also hits the pallet differently. I smoke non-aro for my pipe and usually go for more of a Scottish Mix which I havent found anything like it in a cigar.
    1+ Pipe tobacco has a completely different profile and there is nothing that will be similar in cigars at least for me. That is part of the reason why I love both. If you are new to cigars I would recommend starting out with some samplers as suggested above. You might also try some like Hoyo de Monterrey or even H. Upmann (the original series) which is more mild to med. in body. You can never go wrong with some of the samplers suggested above, however.
  • Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
    My experience has been with cheap cigars, dare I even call them cigars such as black and milds and swishers Though I have had other cigars, then only one I can reall the name of at the moment was Rocky Patel And while it was nice not sure it was for me really. I know this gives you little to no help in making recommendations. So maybe I will try and grab some samples.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to contact the fine folks at C.Com (Phone call) and give them an idea of the type of flavor/taste you might be interested in trying, leathery, pepper, spicy, nutty, etc. I am sure that they would be happy to hook you up with a sampler. Start a journal and keep note on what you like/dislike and might like to try! Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of good info here!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I tried to find the same thing years ago because I love the smell and taste of pipe tobacco but as the brother said it's a beast of a different color. I know Savinelli makes their brand of cigars and I like them but they aren't to be likened with pipe tobacco flavors. Pipe tobacco is shreds of tobacco much like cigar tobacco where the PH is different than say cigarette tobacco...it's a bit more moist. The nicotine is absorbed differently between cigars/pipes and cigarettes....with cigars/pipes it's in the mucous membranes and with cigarettes it's in the lungs. With cigars there is usually no added flavoring ( except for infused ) while pipe tobacco has added flavoring to it to make it more aromatic and has food based casings added.
    Thank you for that info! I'm thinking this is going to be a adventure finding what works for me:)
    Thanks I might have to give that a try here.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard sir!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    A little update: I had a Acid "nasty" today and while I thoroughly enjoyed the aeroma however the taste lived up to its name lol. I'm kidding it wasn't horrible but I don't know about trying it again.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ag03:
    So I'm going to be receiving my first humidor and looking for some recommendations. I was wondering if there is anything that's tastes and smells like pipe tobacco ? Any other recommendations are welcome as well. However please keep in mind I'm new and am not currently budgeting for super expensive cigars :)
    There are some blends that give you this floral note that smells and tastes like pipe tobacco. Alex Bradley SCR comes to mind. I still have a couple of those if you want me to send you one. I've run into some others with similar flowery character, but I can't remember them off hand, and I lost all my cigar notes when my atrix file system crashed. I think that pocket puter is reaching it's planned obsolescence. But the point is, they are there. You can smell it on the foot of the cigar. without lighting it. The RP Nording has a pipe tobacco and nutmeg character. I don't think I have any left; but I'm pretty sure I could score one at the local B&M. It may be strong for a beginner, but if you're a pipe smoker, your tongue would qualify for more strength than an ordinary newb. If you smoked infused pipe tobacco, there are vanilla and rum and cherry and cognac infused smokes. I send those to my bro in law. Can't figure out why he likes them. The Panacea Black Label had a latakia flavor, if you're into latakia.

Know what I would do? Go to the Ratings and Reviews section of this forum and search for "pipe tobacco"

or... .I'll bet a phone call to the cigar.com geeks would do the trick for you.

PM me if you want to try the SCR.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some cigars that are made with pipe tobacco. Though how good they are I have no idea. But they are machine rolled so not considered a premium cigar. You might look at the machine rolled section. Not sure I'd ccom sells them I assume they do. I know the devil site does.
    Rhamlin:
    There are some cigars that are made with pipe tobacco. Though how good they are I have no idea. But they are machine rolled so not considered a premium cigar. You might look at the machine rolled section. Not sure I'd ccom sells them I assume they do. I know the devil site does.
    Yeah I've seen those and to me they are an over glorified black and mild. ... That is if your talking about the ones I'm thinking about.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ag03:
    So I'm going to be receiving my first humidor and looking for some recommendations. I was wondering if there is anything that's tastes and smells like pipe tobacco ? Any other recommendations are welcome as well. However please keep in mind I'm new and am not currently budgeting for super expensive cigars :)
    Hey, here ya go

I'm tellin you, everything you never thought of is already on the net.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Want....
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    John T's makes pipe tobacco cigars. i believe they are handmade. Very interesting as in they do not need humidification if you put them in a bag really. It's an odd concept, as the filler is ribbon cut, so the potential for problems is there. However, I've had one and it was really good. Granted, they are aromatic flavored ones, but if they made a Captain Black I'd buy it. Their cigarillo's are great, and I'd recommend them for anyone starting out really.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    John T's makes pipe tobacco cigars. i believe they are handmade. Very interesting as in they do not need humidification if you put them in a bag really. It's an odd concept, as the filler is ribbon cut, so the potential for problems is there. However, I've had one and it was really good. Granted, they are aromatic flavored ones, but if they made a Captain Black I'd buy it. Their cigarillo's are great, and I'd recommend them for anyone starting out really.
  • When I first started smoking cigars, I loved the Acid ones. But now, I cant stand most of them. I give them to my friends when they come over. But I do like the Acid Nasty. Not sweet at all like the rest of the Acid line.