Home Cigar 101

Xikar 009 Punch

onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got my first real punch, it does not seem to be very sharp, it takes quite a lot of pressure to make the hole in fact I already split one stick to the band, so I am wondering did I get a dud? or is it just me? I use a back and forth rotating motion while applying pressure. The only other punch I have used is the fold out on the side of my Bugatti lighter which works quite well in comparison. Has anyone used one of these? I am trying to decide if I need to send it back or if I need more practice.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    did you wet the cap?

give that a good lick before you punch.

there is going to be some pressure that you need to apply but it shouldnt quite be a struggle. you have the right idea. wost case is you send it back to Xikar and they replace it. id give it a go a few more times and if it isnt any better then send it back. its a no questions asked warranty
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should get a magnifying glass and check the punch for nicks that could be tearing your caps. I've had a few crack on me too when punching. I twist my punches kinda like drill bits to cut the ring of the punch down into the cap and then I put more pressure on it as I go. Never been a licker. I'll try that too. That should soften it up a bit and help keep it from cracking.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I have the same punch and it works great. I do wet the cap well and tame my time twisting with not a lot if preassure until I'm sure I'm through the first layer or two of the cap, then I start pushing while twisting.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a xikar punch and yes twisting and applying pressure is the way to go. I think it takes just a little use to get the feel. Some cigars punch easier than others too it seems like.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Got one on my keychain. Gotta suck all over that cap and get it lubed. I've never had a cap split.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, I spit all over this one, worked a lot better! different stick tho. I'll try a few more before I pass judgement.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Got one on my keychain. Gotta suck all over that cap and get it lubed. I've never had a cap split.
    Thanks for the visual...Ewwwww
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    catfishbluezz:
    Thanks for the visual...Ewwwww
    Oh yeah baby....
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    +1 I found that just licking / wetting the cap isnt enough...... so I lick it good and LET IS SIT for a couple of minutes to soak in and soften the cap. Since I started doing that the punch works every time.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    I have has no problem with mine except when punching hard cigars. (Padron 1926 comes to mind) I think that it is more about technique than anything. Your not trying to force it through the cap. The blade should be very sharp but it won't push through without even pressure and twisting. I will try wetting the cap on the 1926 to see if it helps to prevent it from splitting.