Home Non Cigar Related

2012 Mazda 2 used car information please

bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
My brother is looking at a replacement car, in around Concord California. He has spotted a 2012 Mazda hatchback automatic with 33000 miles, PW, PD, not sure what other features it has. They are asking $12,000 and are offering him $2250 for his 2002 Toyota Corolla with 167 miles. His car is NOT causing any problems, and the long and short of it is, his wife based away from cancer 6 months ago, and i believe he he is basically trying to mix it up a bit.

The dealership is Crown Concord, Marsh Rd, Concord. Any comments on this car, the price for the 2012 or the trade, or even the dealership would be greatly appreciated. He is not really a car guy..and i am 5000 miles away.
Any input, ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The car only has 167 miles on it?!?! Keep that ish... or sell it privately $2250 is not worth it.

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    selling privately will nearly always have a better return, that car here in good shape will sell for at least 3k. as to the mazda, you can get a brand new 2013 mazda 2 with every option they offer for 19k, or the base model with an auto and no options for about 16k. i dont know what differences there are between the 2012 and 2013 models but you are looking at a car that is a model year older and has had 33,000 miles put on it in less than 2 years, (so its already seen a lot of highway time) for $4k-$7k off sticker.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the information, i have passed on most of the comments to him.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    is that 167 or 167k miles?????
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    167,000 Miles or 267,200 km...i do try to speak in a way you can understand without doing the american to canadian translation, as many guys have lost their decoder rings....plus he is in san fran, so he talks miles as well.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I think the $2250 is a reasonable trade in offer for an 11-year-old car with 167k miles on it. I think you'd have a hard time finding a private party willing to pay much more than that, given that Corollas are on the lower-priced side the Toyota spectrum (don't get me wrong; I've owned three Corollas over the years and they're still great cars and one of the best values out there).

As for the Mazda, did you check the blue book value for it? That would be a good place to get comparative prices for dealer-sold vehicles. Might also want to check out the used Mazda 2 listings on cars.com to see if the dealer's asking price is in line with similar models with similar specs are going for elsewhere. He might also want to pay for a Carfax report to see if the car might have been used as a rental or been in an accident.

Also, how is he going to pay for it? If he's taking out a loan, the interest rate is likely to be a lot higher for a used car than it would be for a new car--that alone may negate any money saved for buying used.

Last, the asking price is all it is--the asking price. There's no reason, after doing his research, he shouldn't go in there and offer $9,000 for it (along with the $2200 trade in) and see what they come back with. If they want to get the thing off the lot they'll negotiate with him.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    I think the $2250 is a reasonable trade in offer for an 11-year-old car with 167k miles on it. I think you'd have a hard time finding a private party willing to pay much more than that, given that Corollas are on the lower-priced side the Toyota spectrum (don't get me wrong; I've owned three Corollas over the years and they're still great cars and one of the best values out there).

As for the Mazda, did you check the blue book value for it? That would be a good place to get comparative prices for dealer-sold vehicles. Might also want to check out the used Mazda 2 listings on cars.com to see if the dealer's asking price is in line with similar models with similar specs are going for elsewhere. He might also want to pay for a Carfax report to see if the car might have been used as a rental or been in an accident.

Also, how is he going to pay for it? If he's taking out a loan, the interest rate is likely to be a lot higher for a used car than it would be for a new car--that alone may negate any money saved for buying used.

Last, the asking price is all it is--the asking price. There's no reason, after doing his research, he shouldn't go in there and offer $9,000 for it (along with the $2200 trade in) and see what they come back with. If they want to get the thing off the lot they'll negotiate with him.
    I would add to this to never even mention a trade in until you have a price negotiated. Also, any dealer worth their salt should be providing you with the Carfax (at their own cost) before you sign.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    I would add to this to never even mention a trade in until you have a price negotiated. Also, any dealer worth their salt should be providing you with the Carfax (at their own cost) before you sign.
    +100.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    bearb:
    The Kid:
    167,000 Miles or 267,200 km...i do try to speak in a way you can understand without doing the american to canadian translation, as many guys have lost their decoder rings....plus he is in san fran, so he talks miles as well.
    Oh I Thought 167 miles. I was about to say the car is barely broken in.
    167k is well worn.