Home Cigar 101

Cut, punch, or v?

thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
Which is the best way to cut a cigar? Cut? V cut? Or bullet punch? Benefits of one vs other? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Try all of them as probably most of us have done. I tend to like a V cut because it directs the flow of the draw and it helps keep your tongue out of those times when the nicotine gets so hot it oozes tar. A V cut will help your keep your tongue where it is supposed to be. A straight cut is probably the most popular in that most cutters sold are that type. I have the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter and true to it's name...that is what it does and that might be important to new folk. Some times they end up cutting off too much and then the head unravels or they don't cut enough and the draw suffers.

With a bullet punch you want a really good product...one that is sharp enough to cut without it tearing up the head...I'd advise that you wet the tip first as that helps with the punch. Scissors are nice if you just want to take your time but be advised again that you need a really good pair or it will dull really quick and instead of cutting you end up tearing.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Much like cigars themselves, it's a personal preference IMO. However, the stick can be a deciding factor sometimes. i.e. I would tend to stay away from a punch cut on an extra oily maduro. I always end up getting tar.

Having said that, I go with a v-cut more often than not but I think I'm probably in the minority here. It's like a compromise between a punch and a straight cut for me - smoke is a little more concentrated but not too much. If the draw just isn't working with the v, I'll go ahead and straight cut over it to open it up.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used a V cutter but I've been meaning to get one. But from what I've read you want a real good one that will hold its edge or risk tearing up your smoke. That being said I like a punch on coronas and anything less than a 50 gage. Maduro a I like to use a straight cut since they tend to tar up the worst.
    Have you ever tried a double V cut...looks like a star when you're done?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    V cut is my go to, but I have and use the other styles at times. It really is preference. No matter what you get, make sure it is sharp and well made and you will be fine.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Never liked the V honestly. I keep a Xikar punch on my keychain, and I'm rather fond of it. However, when I review I use my Palio. I personally prefer a standard cut for tasting. Maybe it is just me, but I feel I get more draw volume in that regard. Being a fan of smaller ring gauges, the punch allows for a more concentrated draw, which I prefer when smoking in general though.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Box Pressed Cigars get a V Cut, Torpedo gets a regular cut, all other cigars get a whole punch.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Love the V cut. Idiot proof and I, sir, am an idiot.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Some times I cut, but more and more I use my scissors to score and peel.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Cigary:
    ive double cut with my v cutter a couple of times when i have a bigger rg thats not drawing well. I usually go for the v cut or the punch myself.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always use a double guillotine. thats what i carry. it can be used on any cigar at any time.
  • Cigary:
    Im going to have to try this, never thought of it before. My advice like the others is try them all, some sticks i prefer a punch such as a box press, and some sticks like a torpedo need a cut. Find what works best for you.
    Anybody ever try a v-cut on a torpedo? Maybe I'm just a wierdo but sometimes I will v-cut a torpedo - it works some of the time if you can get the cut down far enough. But if I can tell from the pre-light draw it isn't going to be good, I'll just use the straight-cut below where the v-cut was.
  • Rice_CrispyRice_Crispy Posts: 42
    I.prefer punch. I good draw back. I can work with a v cut they good to
    Very easy to do and I V cut a ton of torpedos. Put the point of the torp at the cutting edge of the cutter...that's the end where it won't move when you start the process. When you start to feel the resistance that's when you follow through very quickly with a snap and voila'...you have a V cut on a torpedo. What happens with those who overthink this is that they don't make the quick cut and it just squishes the end and then it tears. You have to have a good sharp cutter and one that is heavy enough to pull it off. I have the big stainless steel V Cutter from another dealer...and I have the smaller cutter from Boston V cutter called the Lil Guy. Mine is 13 years old and cuts like it did when I bought it...greatest V cutter of that size ever made...it should because it cost me $110 in 2000.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one lol. I just don't ever see anyone mention v-cutting a torp. And man, that's a pricy v-cutter. I usually buy whatever is at the B&M - I can only ever find cheap v-cutters - but since they're cheap I just end up replacing them when they seem to be getting dull.
    Heavy:
    Glad to see I'm not the only one lol. I just don't ever see anyone mention v-cutting a torp. And man, that's a pricy v-cutter. I usually buy whatever is at the B&M - I can only ever find cheap v-cutters - but since they're cheap I just end up replacing them when they seem to be getting dull.
    I have been using the Xikar VX for awhile now(1 year+), and I haven't had any dulling issues or bad cuts that weren't user error.
    Cool. Thanks for the recommendation man. I might actually be able to afford that one lol
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually punch my sticks as I have never tried a v. Cutting is usually what I do when a punch doesn't quite work out. Has anyone tried the Shuriken? Looks like an interesting option.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    IIRC there was one going around in a pass here a while back that the guys were trying and it got mixed reviews.
    taythegibs:
    IIRC there was one going around in a pass here a while back that the guys were trying and it got mixed reviews.
    Here is the traveling shuriken thread. Seems like it works better on larger RG and none tapered, and draw depends on your smoking style.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    I use the Cuban crafters perfect cutter thinking about investing in a v cut to change it up a bit
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    edelrionyc:
    Box Pressed Cigars get a V Cut, Torpedo gets a regular cut, all other cigars get a whole punch.
    + 1. My personal preference is the punch but that has more to do with the type of foot than anything.