Home Non Cigar Related

Syria

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So with this uptick in a possible strike on the country how do you feel about another war ... even when no hard proof has been presented?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Interesting take in The New Yorker mag. link
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looked at Beatnic's link yet, but I can say that I think involvement in Syria would be the absolutely stupidest thing our country could possibly do
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Another war for our President who holds a Nobel Peace prize....
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Another war for our President who holds a Nobel Peace prize....

Ironic. Isn't it?
    phobicsquirrel:
    So with this uptick in a possible strike on the country how do you feel about another war ... even when no hard proof has been presented?

Osama, excuse me, I meant Obama just has to war to feel whole.
    He must have had a "different" childhood than the rest of us.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read from the new yorker that's for sure. I do find it pathetic that a thousand or more can be slaughtered with anything other than a nuke or chemicals and we don't do ***, but the minute some chemicals are used we have to do something. A reason why we shouldn't be the police of the world or at least when it isn't directly affecting us or our allies and without freaking proof.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    What's going on in Syria. I'm too busy watching Miley Cyrus touch herself like Madonna did 30 years ago but everyone seems to be in an uproar anyway.
    I like Dennis Kucinich's words.

"So what, we're about to become Al Qaeda's air force now?"
    But really, Egypt is burning churches and practicing religious persecution but we can ignore that since Christianity is antiquated and not "cool"
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

So... let me get this straight. We invaded Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003 right? I'm not the world's biggest proponent of our current president, but I hardly see how he is to blame for any of our current wars.
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

So... let me get this straight. We invaded Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003 right? I'm not the world's biggest proponent of our current president, but I hardly see how he is to blame for any of our current wars.
    Foreign policy will ALWAYS be the blame of the current President. ALWAYS. It is their duty to work with other world leaders for better relations or global solutions.
    Now the British are having second thoughts.

link

Obama's in a bit of a jam.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Not surprised but disappointed. Apperently it is a matter of days.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    He has to do something since he said he would a year ago. Our word would mean nothing if we said chemical weapons are a red line then not do anything when it is crossed. I predict they will only shoot a couple of tomahawks at more or less pointless targets. That way we can say we did something without really having a big impact on the outcome.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

Technically the last time we declared war was WWII, however Obama did use drones in Pakistan and Yemen and bombed libya. All that is on Obama.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    dennisking:
    But really, Egypt is burning churches and practicing religious persecution but we can ignore that since Christianity is antiquated and not "cool"
    Thank you. I thought the same thing.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

EXACTLY...lets all forget the B.S. that Obama inherited from Bush's escapades.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Bigshizza:
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

agreed but it's no excuse to ignore his own escapades and blatant lies.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I guess if my country was butchering people, physically torturing to death kids, adults etc. I would cry or help. In this particulr situation I would offer help. Giving aid via weapons much earlier. Giving aid not because of oil, but because it is the right thing to do. I just pray politicians are in it for the good, not money. No doubt our soldiers are always ready when duty calls. USA
    christian1971:
    I guess if my country was butchering people, physically torturing to death kids, adults etc. I would cry or help. In this particulr situation I would offer help. Giving aid via weapons much earlier. Giving aid not because of oil, but because it is the right thing to do. I just pray politicians are in it for the good, not money. No doubt our soldiers are always ready when duty calls. USA
    Noble sentiments, no doubt, but where does it end? We are guilty in this, in that we've been happily selling arms to anyone with $ in that part of the world for a couple generations now.

Let's see, we've de-stabilized, or helped to de-stablize Egypt, Iraq, Libya, Yemen and Somalia, at the very least, and we've educated and solidified Afghanistan, nuclearized Pakistan, and created Iran in the '50s and 60's.

Not too bright on foreign policy, are we?

Obama draws a line in the sand, "chemicals". Somebody uses chemicals and we're drawn in. Is it horrible? oh, yes. Who used them? Assad? Maybe. After all, who else? Like maybe, anyone who wants us drawn in?

Would they use them on their own people?

Of course they would. The terrorist frequently kills his own friends and neighbors in marketplace bombings etc. What's a few more martyrs for the cause?

Get out! Come home! Quit selling powerful weapons systems to 14th century barbarians.

Anyone else remember when Assad was hailed as a modern leader for the Arab world? Western educated, shy, good-natured bright and friendly. What happened?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is classic. Haven't even stuck our nose in yet and already it's George Bush's fault. RPFLMAO. Me, I say it's Cleon's fault. It's Alcibiades' fault. Heck, why stop there, it's obviously Menelaus' fault. Heartless bastid standing in the way of true love. Denying a woman's right to choose.

The solution is simple: Ban assault weapons and hand out free obamaphones, so that when poison gas comes rolling down the street they can call 911.

Bush's fault. Cheezus Aitch Cripes.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Perhaps you misunderstood me. First, I never mentioned president Bush. Second, I was simply trying to correct a clearly false statement blaming our current president for our decades old wars. Nothing more nothing less. Don't let pesky facts cloud your judgment.
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

Simply, without an override by congress, he has the final say on any matter concerning "National Security".
    james40:
    Bigshizza:
    pelirrojo:
    RBeckom:
    phobicsquirrel:

agreed but it's no excuse to ignore his own escapades and blatant lies.

Think.
    Who has the final say if not our current president. Sure Congress can override him and he can also again veto Congress and so forth but when it all becomes plain to the eye, the president chooses where and when to attack. He could have, as promised, stop spending billions overseas but when will even this start? Think................
    Presidents of the past have made Hugh blunders and we all know it.
    But if a new country comes within our sights, who do we blame for the new matter at hand?
    Surly your not so vain as to blame presidents of the past for they carry the blame of they're own presidencies.
    If, indeed we cause strife with a country not involved in the past, with past presidents, then who do we place the blame towards.
    There is only one answer.
    I leave it to you too decide what that answer may be for yourselves for it is apparent to me already.
    webmost:
    This is classic. Haven't even stuck our nose in yet and already it's George Bush's fault. RPFLMAO. Me, I say it's Cleon's fault. It's Alcibiades' fault. Heck, why stop there, it's obviously Menelaus' fault. Heartless bastid standing in the way of true love. Denying a woman's right to choose.

The solution is simple: Ban assault weapons and hand out free obamaphones, so that when poison gas comes rolling down the street they can call 911.

Bush's fault. Cheezus Aitch Cripes.

I missed that. Who said it was Bush's fault? I can't find it.

pelirrojo:
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. First, I never mentioned president Bush. Second, I was simply trying to correct a clearly false statement blaming our current president for our decades old wars. Nothing more nothing less. Don't let pesky facts cloud your judgment.

False it was not for you see only part of the matter. Who has the power to stop this madness? Obama!
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592

^ This is essentially what is happening right now. Obama is put up a line which he didn't think Syria would cross, but Syria crossed it and he doesn't know what to do next. He is gonna get criticized if he takes no action and criticized if does take action. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.. When the UN inspectors leave the country Sat. it will be surprising what happens then as more than likely they will say chemical weps have been used. Action is inevitable but it will be messy since Russia would lose like $5B in military sales if Syria is lost and Iran would lose their only Mediterranean port and connections with Hezbollah. Leave it to the French to be the ones wanting to invade asap! This won't be an Iraqi invasion, but rather a game of chess with little being done.
    RBeckom:
    pelirrojo:

False it was not for you see only part of the matter. Who has the power to stop this madness? Obama!

Have we not withdrawn most of our troops from Iraq? Are there not plans to cut our military presence in Afghanistan roughly in half by early 2014 and totally by the end of 2014? What exactly do you want here? I think you're looking at it like taking over a failing restaurant. Just hire all new staff and change the menu right? I don't think it's that simple. However, I don't think our discussion really has much to do with what this thread was about. I thinks scarlin pretty well hit the nail on the head there.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I can say that I think involvement in Syria would be the absolutely stupidest thing our country could possibly do
    Agreed. Much as I'd like to see Assad toppled, the resulting rebel led government--consisting (partly) of elements of Hezbollah, Hamas and Al Queda--wouldn't offer a reassuring democratic solution, either.

And it's hard to justify military involvement in Syria when the U.S. isn't making similar threats to get militarily involved in Egypt, where nearly the exact situation is going on.

Just say the hell out of this stuff...providing weapons to rebels we're pretty sure won't later use them against us is about as far as I'd want to do with Syria.