Home Cigar 101

HumiPaks

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I use HumiPaks for additional RH in several of my humidors, they're the ones Ccom sends with my cigar order.

I know they are supposed to last forever, but several of mine have been getting little stone-like bits in them and they don't seem to puff up as much as the used to when you put them in distilled water.

Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing, and are they still good. They seem to work, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Toss em when they get to that point. They aren't worth the hassle imho. Boveda packs are a much better option and last much, much longer.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm my experience if you keep the humi pillows relatively charged up they last a pretty long time, but once they dry out to the point where the gel clumps like you are describing it is very hard to break them apart and get them to absorb again.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once they dry completely out they just don't come back like before.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Humi paks aren't made to last forever...at best they only say they are good for 3 months. It's only for short term protected environments for those who only want to use them for a short time. For longer protection and keeping RH in check there are other medias to choose from. Anything in a pak is not intended for long term storage..even if you can use them for years the ratio of protecting a certain number of cigars with a certain number of paks is going to take some real math. Beads, KL, and other media is so much easier to use and lasts quite a long time. I'm still using the same KL I bought 4 years ago and works as good as the first day I used it.