Home Cigar 101

Even burn problems!

I sat down to smoke last night and pulled out a Gurkha Crest. I bought a sampler of Gurkhas and haven't loved any of them, but none of them gave me problems like this stick.

The filler was basically folded over on itself in like a V shape that created an air pocket down the length of the cigar and let the wrapper burn extremely quickly along that seam. I could not get that thing to burn evenly to save my life and after about 20 minutes the cigar had burned down that side to about 1.5 inch from the head while the other side was only burned about 1 inch down from the original length.

I tried rotating the cigar to several different positions, and even wetting the wrapper where it was burning so quickly to try to slow it down. Nothing worked.

I'm pretty sure it was just put together like crap and there was no saving it but do you guys have any advice as to how to achieve an even burn? How do you stop one side from burning faster that the other?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont smoke gurkha...

rotate the cigar between puffs.
  • Is that the only trick to it? just rotate it after every puff?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Demosthenes:
    Is that the only trick to it? just rotate it after every puff?
    That'll help most cigars, but in the case of a Gurkha, the first line was better advice.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Demosthenes:
    Is that the only trick to it? just rotate it after every puff?
    That'll help most cigars, but in the case of a Gurkha, the first line was better advice.
    lmao agreed!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    kuzi16:
    dont smoke gurkha...

Kuzi has spoken.!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that pic
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, so much hate for gurkha on this forum.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No real hate from me but I couldn't resist getting Samuel L Jackson's 2 cents worth..........again. LOL
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    This is about as extreme an example of "submarining" as I've ever heard.

Contrary to popular belief, IMO most "boating' and running like you had is indeed a fault of construction as opposed to humidification. With a construction fault as described, there's not much you can do.

One thing I have done is to wet the wrapper and even the edge of the burn with saliva at the fast spot. This slows the burn in that area and allows (sometimes) the rest of the circumference of the burn to catch up.