Home Pipes

What is your favorite English Blend

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
So, just to get some dialogue going here, what is your favorite English Blend and why...No One Word Answers Please!

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    My favorite blend is Walt's English. It is a three part blend using light Burley, Cavendish and I borrow McClelland 5110. It is designed to be an all day smoke with no bite. Has the flavor without any detractions.
    Hopefully anyone who has received a sample will comment further,
    My flagship blend however is "Gloucester".
    I've come up with a name for this blend while sitting in my big leather easy chair and smoking a bowl of my new blend. I shall call it "Gloucester". I've spent some time at sea and I've hung around a number of fishing ports along all the coasts and overseas. The thoughts I had while smoking this blend took me to the sea and sailing ships. It was in the sailors bowl around the horn and between the Pillars of Hercules. While mending nets and culling the catch. The smell of the salt sea and old wharfs. It all came flooding into my view as I sat in my big easy chair. I could call it nothing else. There is a worldliness to the blend that goes beyond geographical boundaries. The rich tastes all seem to join together in harmony. The smoke wafting through the nostrils bring an acute awareness that you are smoking something timeless. photo thCAOJBW8A1.jpg
  • Now that sounds like a fine blend! Myself, I have become accustom to McClelland’s Frog on the Town, though not a "traditional" English blend, I find it superb—easy going, no bite what so ever, and savory and delicious. Personally, though it does not compare to some of Greg Pease blends, such as his Westminster or Abington, which are just wonderful and robust. I have to say though Pilgrimtex, after reading your description of Gloucester, I am quite intrigued.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Now that sounds like a fine blend! Myself, I have become accustom to McClelland’s Frog on the Town, though not a "traditional" English blend, I find it superb—easy going, no bite what so ever, and savory and delicious. Personally, though it does not compare to some of Greg Pease blends, such as his Westminster or Abington, which are just wonderful and robust. I have to say though Pilgrimtex, after reading your description of Gloucester, I am quite intrigued.

Send me a pm and I'll send you a sample and perhaps Baffin Bay blended for the Landlubber.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    My favorite blend is Walt's English. It is a three part blend using light Burley, Cavendish and I borrow McClelland 5110. It is designed to be an all day smoke with no bite. Has the flavor without any detractions.
    Your English blend is awesome. I cannot say much more as i am a noob, other then I find it very enjoyable in comparison to the many other tobaccos I have purchased. I will report on the Gloucester tonight.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Can't say that I have tried an English blend yet. I will have to keep an eye on this for the next time I place an order. I'm not even sure where to start.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Smoking the Gloucester through a new cob. I'm getting some tongue bite, seems like definate Latakia notes but not overpowering. There is an underlying richness that is not present enough for my tastes, but balancing the profile.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    My favorite right now is not an English but a Balkan style from H&H called Black House. Lat. is good and strong, all from cyprus, the VA's are soft and sweet, and the oriental's are more up front especially on the retrohale. An English that is a close second right now is Great Hiatus.
  • I love the Black House, although I think Russ's Magnum Opus blows it out of the water.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I love the Black House, although I think Russ's Magnum Opus blows it out of the water.
    I have not tried Magnum Opus yet. I will have to pick up some on my next order.
    catfishbluezz:
    Smoking the Gloucester through a new cob. I'm getting some tongue bite, seems like definate Latakia notes but not overpowering. There is an underlying richness that is not present enough for my tastes, but balancing the profile.

Thank you for the review on Gloucester. Gloucester is not for everyone. It is also not a blend you would smoke all day unless you we're from Gloucester. LOL
    Gloucester is for the adventure in us. I have a pipe in my mouth all day unless there is a stogie hangin from it. It is to enjoy with a good Brandy or other drink and when your splicing a sheet or culling a catch.
    I have dropped one part from 6 to 5 on the amount of VA and it rounds out perfectly. Unfortunately you received the 6 part VA.
    I have now the Baffin Bay blend for the less venturous folk. Similar flavors without the bite. In order to achieve this I had to drop VA from the blend entirely.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    DH London Mix is the star of the show. Smokey but flavorful.
    DH EMP is a lighter English.
    FMOTT is excellent and has a slight vanilla note to me. I smoke this in a churchwarden.

Squadron Leader didn't thrill me.

Becks Ol Limey *** and DH 965 are medium body English that are good.

Dunhill stuff normally has a pretty big nic hit. I don't feel nicotine but many friends say it contains a lot.
  • I love the Dunhills especially Nightcap and ol' 965, they are classic and the flavor and burn are just perfect. I do enjoy the FMOTT, and that vanilla note is the Basma you are tasting; it really makes the blend what it is.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I love the Dunhills especially Nightcap and ol' 965, they are classic and the flavor and burn are just perfect. I do enjoy the FMOTT, and that vanilla note is the Basma you are tasting; it really makes the blend what it is.
    +1 Dunhill is good all around. the 965 is very good if you give it 6 months in a jar.

Exactly what I would have said on the vanilla note it is the Basma. There are so many flavors in natural tobacco, which is just one reason I have moved away from aromatics almost completely.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    I am smoking a bowl of your walts English right now. This is my first English blend and I must say its lovely. Up until now I have had all aromatic tobaccos. I liked them but there flavors didn't hold my attention for long. This is different. There is a slight smokey quality and a bit of sweetness to this blend that I haven't experienced before. The smoke is cool and dense. I will let you know more after I have a few more bowls.
    Imgembo:
    pilgrimtex:
    I am smoking a bowl of your walts English right now. This is my first English blend and I must say its lovely. Up until now I have had all aromatic tobaccos. I liked them but there flavors didn't hold my attention for long. This is different. There is a slight smokey quality and a bit of sweetness to this blend that I haven't experienced before. The smoke is cool and dense. I will let you know more after I have a few more bowls.

Great. Glad you like it. Treva is smoking my mildly Cherry as I write. She loves it. Enjoying a number of drinks and puffin on a stogie at the moment. Keep me informed on your reviews.
    Walt