Home Cigar 101

Spicey VS Peppery

JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
So I've been trying to figure out the difference between a spicy cigar and peppery one. Are they interchangeable meanings or completely different? Can someone enlighten me?

Jeff

Comments

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    For me peppery has always been the meaty/peppery flavor i get from a well peppered angus steak :)... Spicy is really just spicy - u feel the hotness in ur mouth kind of... Like a hot pepper... Peppery flavor u would feel on ur tongue... A little tingle... MMMMMMMM
  • that what she said.. but other than that I totally agree. Pepper for me is a flavor ,some cigars have a pepper taste spicy is a sensation.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've never thought "spicy" was a desirable quality in a cigar, to me it implies harshness which I feel is the mark of an immature cigar. Pepper, on the other hand, can be oh so delicious and is something I look for in cigars.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    You're probably right that spicey equals harshness. I kinda like that in a cigar though. I don't particularly have sophisticated taste though. I tend to like very bold and spicey flavors. I've always like my coffee black, my tea without sugar, my whiskey straight, and my cigars strong and spicey! As I search around though I'm finding I like some milder cigars as well. I think I'm gonna be easy to please in this love affair with cigars which will probably be greatly appreciated by my wallet.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    well... from a cooks point of view (and how i do my reviews) pepper IS spicy. it is a very distinct type of spice.

i almost always say what kind of spice it is in my reviews. its almost never just "spicy" ...its "black pepper", "white pepper", "cinnamon", "crushed red pepper", etc...
    to me harsh is very different. i dont "taste" harsh. i feel it in my mouth.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    That makes sense!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    And that goes back to what was said about spicy being a sensation. If you are talking about spicy as one particular taste and I am referring to the sensation of spiciness, then we're talking about two different things, albeit two similar things with some similar wordage. Now if we hold that to be true, then I still correlate the sensation of spicy to harshness and I don't think I'm way off base with that one.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I think of spice as two different things. You can have a specific spice; like say, black pepper, paprika, or something like that, or a very mixed, muddled spice; sort of like a spice market. I've had both (for instance, a DPG Cuban Classic is Black Pepper; a Camacho 8/22 might have the spice market taste.)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    And that goes back to what was said about spicy being a sensation. If you are talking about spicy as one particular taste and I am referring to the sensation of spiciness, then we're talking about two different things, albeit two similar things with some similar wordage. Now if we hold that to be true, then I still correlate the sensation of spicy to harshness and I don't think I'm way off base with that one.
    i guess ive never viewed them as the same thing.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    My palate is unrefined. I use peppery and spicy interchangably and to me, they mean the same thing. To me, DPG cuban classic is one of my favorite examples of what I would call a peppery/spicy cigar.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Luko:
    My palate is unrefined. I use peppery and spicy interchangably and to me, they mean the same thing. To me, DPG cuban classic is one of my favorite examples of what I would call a peppery/spicy cigar.
    Agreed.. I would add meaty to that one... I know Beta would say - tastes like a nicely peppered steak...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    well... from a cooks point of view (and how i do my reviews) pepper IS spicy. it is a very distinct type of spice.

i almost always say what kind of spice it is in my reviews. its almost never just "spicy" ...its "black pepper", "white pepper", "cinnamon", "crushed red pepper", etc...

I think that this should be the standar. Pepper is a spicy. Some spices are hot some are flavorful. So is the spiciness the pepper taste some cigars give or the tingling you get on your lips, mouth and toungue from the nicotine? There are other spice tastes that I get also, but refer to them as the flavor and not necessarily spicy. So there is spicy hot, spicey peppery (sometimes also hot), and spicey flavorfull. basically pepper is in the family of spice - just like Kuzi said......almost.