Home Cigar 101

Humidity/Heartfelt beads question

bibbybibby Posts: 152
I currently have the 65 percent rH beads in a 100 ct humidor; I did the measurements on the area of the humidor and I got the largest tube, which theoretically humidify a space twice the size of my humidor.

The issue is that when I first added the beads it worked perfectly; put enough distilled water to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the beads in the tube translucent and it kept the humidity right between 64-66 percent. I then noticed the rH was dropping and added more distilled water to the beads. I filled it about the same as the first time, but the humidity really never got above 60-61 percent. This occured even after several attempts to add more distilled to the beads and I always waited about 12-18 hours before checking the rH.So I filled my other stock humidifer and the humidity is now up to 72-73 percent.

Where did I go wrong? Obviously the beads are over humidified at this point, how do I get the humidity back where I want it around 65 percent? I have been openning it about every 2-6 hours and leaving it open for about 5 minutes trying to keep it under 70 percent without any consistency.

Rob

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    bibby:
    I currently have the 65 percent rH beads in a 100 ct humidor; I did the measurements on the area of the humidor and I got the largest tube, which theoretically humidify a space twice the size of my humidor.

The issue is that when I first added the beads it worked perfectly; put enough distilled water to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the beads in the tube translucent and it kept the humidity right between 64-66 percent. I then noticed the rH was dropping and added more distilled water to the beads. I filled it about the same as the first time, but the humidity really never got above 60-61 percent. This occured even after several attempts to add more distilled to the beads and I always waited about 12-18 hours before checking the rH.So I filled my other stock humidifer and the humidity is now up to 72-73 percent.

Where did I go wrong? Obviously the beads are over humidified at this point, how do I get the humidity back where I want it around 65 percent? I have been openning it about every 2-6 hours and leaving it open for about 5 minutes trying to keep it under 70 percent without any consistency.

Rob
    I've just taken the beads out of the humidor (The Spanish Cedar will keep fairly well for short periods of time) and just let them air dry, some here have used a hair dryer in minute increments... either way, take 'em out, your humi won't mind for a little bit!
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    I think the instructions said you could put them in a warm oven too. I'd have to look again to find the temperature. As mentioned the hair dryer was also listed on the instructions I think.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    It sounds to me like the problem is in the 100ct., not in the beads...might check seals and stuff.
  • riddle me this.... well its been hot here ..so my vinos been running like 24/7..anyways theres been alot of water on the floor of the vino..like a puddle. Anyways, with the puddle on the floor the humidity (from 3 different hygros) was reading low(like 55-65%). I have 65% beads...not a problem anymore, summer is all but over here, but it was interesting that the humidity was actually low in the vino, even with a puddle on the floor...weird.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    jeff_connors:
    riddle me this.... well its been hot here ..so my vinos been running like 24/7..anyways theres been alot of water on the floor of the vino..like a puddle. Anyways, with the puddle on the floor the humidity (from 3 different hygros) was reading low(like 55-65%). I have 65% beads...not a problem anymore, summer is all but over here, but it was interesting that the humidity was actually low in the vino, even with a puddle on the floor...weird.
    All the humidity that was in the air condensated to the puddle.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    nsezell:
    It sounds to me like the problem is in the 100ct., not in the beads...might check seals and stuff.
    That might make sense other than it was steady at both ends of the spectrum, first it wouldn't go high enough then it wouldn't stay down; Not sure but to me that says something about the humidification device or the hygrometer rather than the box. Thanks for the idea I'll double check the seals when I get home

Rob
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    jeff_connors:
    riddle me this.... well its been hot here ..so my vinos been running like 24/7..anyways theres been alot of water on the floor of the vino..like a puddle. Anyways, with the puddle on the floor the humidity (from 3 different hygros) was reading low(like 55-65%). I have 65% beads...not a problem anymore, summer is all but over here, but it was interesting that the humidity was actually low in the vino, even with a puddle on the floor...weird.
    So what you're saying is, it rained in your vino...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I could be wayyy wrong but, on the other hand, they're working wonderfully so who's to argue with success? I don't moisten my beads at all. You read that right. Not at all. I tried that in the beginning and it didn't work for sour owl s**t!

I decided to let the beads do what they're engineered to do - suck in excess moisture or let out needed moisture. I have a half-pound of their beads in my coolidor, which is abundanza as they say in Italy, and I set a small bowl like a custard bowl about 1/3 full of distilled water inside. Then, I just let them do their thing.

I have the 65% beads and my RH seems to always be within a percent or two and the widest variations always seem to occur on days when I open the coolidor more often than I should.

Hope this helps.

Marty

• vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    For the guy with the 100ct. Check your hygro. Salt test if it is an analog or replace the battery if it is digital.

For the vinotemp. Even thermo-electrics cause chaos if they run too much. Did you tape the drain hole so if it does condensate, it will stay on the bottom. Most guys put their beads in panty hose right over the drain with a piece of electrical tape over the hole. Self regulating system.