Home Cigar 101

School the Newbie

Hello everyone. I am a novice, but am gaining speed as I go. Who would have ever thought choosing, storing, and enjoying cigars could be so complex...lol

Anyway, I recently purchased a 100-ct cedar lined humidor - it came with the basic sponge/analog setup and I simply cannot get the rh level set right. Granted, I have not spent a great deal of time trying different methods, but have tried a few. It stays at 85-90rh

I ordered an Oasis XL electronic humidifier - is this going to solve my problem? I have read so many different solutions to the rh issue I am second guessing this purchase..lol

I need to get the humi right soon as I have a few hundred bucks of smokes on the way!!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    first, buy a digital hygrometer.
    make sure that guy is calibrated using the salt test. ( a quick search on the forum will lead you to that)

second, that green foam stuff is (IMHO) worthless.
    get either heartfelt beads or humi-care gel or Xikar's Crystal Humidifier Jar. all of those are way better than the foam.

third, the Oasis XL is what i like to call overkill...
    at least in a 100ct. I would not start using active humidification in a humidor until it reaches a size of at least a 300ct. send that guy back and get a refund if you can. you may have to eat the cost of shipping but that isnt too bad considering the $100+ you spent to get it and the huge percentage of space that it will take up in the humidor.

im rootin for ya.
  • ncblazerncblazer Posts: 12

Thanks Kuzi

I am assuming from your response that it will, in fact, keep my levels accurate (without the fuss and worry) if I am willing to give up some space. I am also assuming (sorry) that this will be a sufficient answer to my humidity issue in lieu of using alternate methods (beads, gels, etc)

I have really come to enjoy a good cigar(have tried a LOT of different ones in the past couple months) and it is rather addicting.

There is a method to my madness - since the Oasis does take up a bit of room (as long as it works) then I will be 'forced' to have to upgrade to a bigger box...my wife will surely understand that logic...lol

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd say get the bigger humidor to justify the Oasis!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:

I like the way you think Lassy ....here ...have a Miller Lite ...My treat ...
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

big spender there....
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    don't those oasis humidifiers have a chord running out of them too? That could be a problem in a 100ct.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

big spender there....
    I assume Gene got him a 12 pack and just poured it into a camelbak for him.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    The electronic humidifiers don't do anything to lower the rh though do they? If you're consistently too high beads may be the way to go. I threw some in my humidor andhaven't looked back since.
    I just googled Camelbak....

Where have they been all my life???
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    hydrate or die -- haha, i need to buy a digital hygro as well
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    gmill880:
    Lasabar:

big spender there....
    I assume Gene got him a 12 pack and just poured it into a camelbak for him.

Thats exactly what I did ...Kuzi, Lassy would like some free chocolate to go with that ...you can help him out right ? ...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As much as I agree with Kuz that an oasis in a 100 count is way overkill, I like your logic NC. And judging by my own experience, as well as the shared experience of EVERYONE on this board, I'd say hang on to that oasis. You'll probably need it before you know it.

You made the right move by going with a 100 ct right off the bat. Ask anyone here. However, I'm no psychic, but I see a bigger humidor in your not so distant future. Welcome to the boards and best of luck!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

I just googled cameltoe. I just wanted to spy a few...so sue me.
    I just heard the male equivalent of Camel Toe....

Moose Knuckle...

Very descriptive
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    Lol I don't know but the camelbak of beer is admittedly something that has crossed my path before
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    Lasabar:

Lol I don't know but the camelbak of beer is admittedly something that has crossed my path before
    4bob4:
    The electronic humidifiers don't do anything to lower the rh though do they?
    no
    4bob4:
    If you're consistently too high beads may be the way to go. I threw some in my humidor andhaven't looked back since.
    sound advice.
    Lasabar:
    I just heard the male equivalent of Camel Toe....

Moose Knuckle...

Very descriptive
    I like to call it the "Camel Tail"
    T. Gervais:
    Last spring, we had a massive ice storm and the entire county shut down for about a week and a half. We just filled our camelbak's with beer and went on adventures around the frozen wasteland that used to be the arkansas hills...