Home Cigar 101

Need help

kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
I purchased a 52 qt igloo cooler and I cleaned it put the kitty litter in and it keeps dropping humidity I don't know what else to do I have 3 boxes in there now to try and hold humidity do I need more boxes and also I put a little distilles water on the kitty letter but it dropped all the way to 59 I haven't put my cigars in yet cause I don't want to ruin them imageimage

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add water to the kitty litter a little at a time till your humidity gets close to what you like then wait a while to see if it rises some more. If not then add a little more.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know how many smokes you are putting in but you might need one more container.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    Do I put just sprays of water or put drops of water and I think I may add another container in there as well
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I spray my kitty litter. Better distribution of moisture on the crystals. Once you get the RH to where you want it, you will be golden
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spray it a couple of times, you can hear it snap and crackle sometimes the new esquitkat will even smoke the first time let it set a a couple of min. If you have a smaller tub or a large ziplock to put everything in it's quicker to get your RH readings and make adjustments, too low add some water, too high add some kl until you get what you want. I kept about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs in a 60qt for about 3 mo without haveing to do anything to it!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget humidity is higher on the bottom. And did you season the boxes you put in?
    Money can't buy taste
    I sprayed some water and I heard the crackling and I put cigar boxes I didn't know those had to be seasoned
    kingdavid5:
    I sprayed some water and I heard the crackling and I put cigar boxes I didn't know those had to be seasoned
    yeah leave the empty boxes in there for a few day and it should solve the problem
    Money can't buy taste
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    You're worrying way too much about it. Throw the cigars you intend to store in there into the coolidor (after the smell has dissipated) and wait a few days for the RH to stabilize. Cigars are way more resilient than most make them out to be as far as RH is concerned. Keep a hygrometer inside the coolidor and you'll know the general trend as far as too dry or too humid. It's very easy to go overboard and contain too much humidity inside a cooler. If you aim for 63-69%, you will be fine, all depending on your ambient climate of course.

Everything happens in time...
    I'm in south Florida and I sprayed the water on it still got the empty boxes thinking I'm just gonna put the sticks in when I woke up this morning humidity was at 72. I may add another container of KL to see if u can get it down between 65-70
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, the more empty space you have in your cooler the harder it will be to stabilize the humidity. So more cigars is more better in more ways than one :)

Also if you use any used empty boxes you might get from your local cigar shop, they need to be smoke free. One of my B&Ms is an all in one shop where the cigars on display are also in the lounge area. I got a few empty boxes from my B&M that I was planning to store loose sticks inside my coolidor only to realize that they were tainted with old smoke. This is not good for storage.
    If your temp is 77 I would go lower then 70rh maybe 65
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If your temp is 77 I would go lower then 70rh maybe 65
    It's reading 72-73 think I may add more KL
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more you use the more stable it will be, = faster recorvery time. Mix some 'dry' with the 'wet', it will drop a little when you fill the cooler also.