Home General Discussion

Ronson lighter malfunction...

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
So i broke down the other day and bought another jetlight. Sparked it lit the stick, released the button and the flame kept burning. It wouldnt turn off. Messed with the flame control and turning it all the way down got the fire to go out but the gas was still on. I just put it aside and let it run out.

Anybody else have a problem like this? Im tired of buying a lighter that works once or twice then dies. Im gonna have to save my pennies and get one with a warranty.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    One of mine was doing this, too. I whacked it against the table a couple of times and it shut off. I've also had one that would light but the flame wouldn't stay on when I did hold down the button. It would light for about 10 seconds then go out. Every time. Finally, I only have one that has worked after a refill. Otherwise I love the price! Considering something better, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought my first jetlight. It worked fine until I had to re-fill it. Now it lights from time to time, but is not dependable.

I bought a second one at WalMarts for less than $4 and that has worked fine. With a lighter under five bucks, I guess we take our chances.

• curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Tossing Mine. To may fits. Xikar inpress can be found cheap Lights every time !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I just bought another one yesterday for $3.50. At that price they are only a little more expensive than a Bic and if you use good Xikar fuel they work great. Usually the first problem with lighters is the fuel not being clean enough. I'm done with expensive lighters, they suck just as much as cheap ones.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a Ronson Jetlite a while back and was impressed with it until I refilled it. Can't seem to get it to light half the time now. I believe they are guaranteed but I haven't bothered with getting it replaced. Anybody tried to get Ronson to replace one of these?
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bob Luken:
    I got a Ronson Jetlite a while back and was impressed with it until I refilled it. Can't seem to get it to light half the time now. I believe they are guaranteed but I haven't bothered with getting it replaced. Anybody tried to get Ronson to replace one of these?
    Ronsons for the most part are very good lighters even though I have read about stories like yours where for one reason or another they tend to behave erratically and spurt and sputter. Lighters in general work well unless their are issues like air in the chamber...or the little hose inside comes loose and that is where residual fuel is dumped inside and that is where you will find that it continues to burn even though you have unclicked the mechanism. Purging is very important when recharging any lighters...most people will fail at this point and will recharge the lighter and get that 'overspray' when putting the can nozzle into the lighter....if you get overspray that means you just recharged the lighter with a mix of fuel and air....that's going to cause you to have issues with your lighter.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Yea I've had 2 that crapped out after refilling. Just ended up getting the Ave Maria lighter from CCOM and it's been basically flawless. Has a bigger button, bigger adjustment knob, and can't open the cap in your pocket.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I pick one up every time I am at the (insert curses here) Walmart. I carry one in every vehicle one in my toolbox at work and such. Always take one to events just to make sure I have a backup. I also carry my Zippo with the torch insert. A ronson is easier than fuel.