Home Cigar 101

A cello ?, for Bob

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, you don't have to be Bob to answer, but his 911 post made me think...

We all debated this to death, several times over, a couple years ago, what I'm wondering is, have you changed your opinion?

I used to almost always remove the cello, unless I was sure I'd be resting that cigar for a long time. It just seemed that the cigars were a touch crisper, to me, when they'd been in the humidor a few weeks without the cellophane on.

Now, I almost never remove the cellophane until I'm ready to smoke, or sometimes an hour or two before.

Anyone else changed their habits, since last we beat the stuffings out of this subject??
?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    I keep them on if they have them. Mainly for protecting the stick.
    I rotate my cigars frequently for even distribution of humidity and the cello helps protect the stick from damage.
    But does it make any diff on the aging process?
    Couldn't tell you yes or no.
    I would say if it does it would be very marginal at best.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always left them on. After hearing from so many who swear it makes no difference I've kept them on. I like the protection that it offers. Also if I'm bombing or trading I add cello to naked sticks for protection. I can be pretty rough with them sometimes and not have to worry about damage. If I were ever to be convinced of a definitive difference in naked vs cello, then I might do things differently.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I used to leave them on because I was lazy. I'm still lazy.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, everyone's doing what they always did? I'm the only one who's changed?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I thought about asking about this too. After seeing Brian's pics from the m&b it made me think about it. A lot of places recommend removing but I agree that I also am lazy and I also rotate my stocks so the more protection the better IMO! The only sticks that don't have cello are the ones that don't come with.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started out I would remove the cello, couple of months later I had a mold issue, that changed my mind!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only mold I've ever had was on some sticks I took the cello off. Now I leave it on. And will put cello on ones that come without it, eventually. I to am lazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Alex wrote a really good article on this a long while ago and it aligns with my thinking as well. Enjoy.

http://www.cigar.com/catalog/featuredArticles.asp?artnum=8
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Cello on......sometimes I cut some of the cello on the foot off
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I used to cut the foot. I leave cello on for the most part, I have a box without that im trying to age.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I was asked a Q? about the cello's and was told to leave them on. It was an expire from this site. I have a brother in-law who has had some issues with his humidor. So it was told to me leave the cello's on
  • Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    I keep mine in the celophane.