Home Cigar 101

Accessorize a newbie

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
I want to start being more serious about smoking cigars. Have some on hand rather that buy a single when I'm in the mood, keep a journal of what I've smoked, etc. What accessories will I need? A humidor: Thinking up to 50 count in size. Do I buy one with built in analog hygrometer or a plain one and buy a digital hygrometer? Lighter: Butane I understand is best. Do I need to spend $50 or will a $10 one off ebay do the trick? Am I missing anything else? Cutter? S.

Comments

• TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    How do I add spaces in my post, so that it's not all one paragraph????
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    For humidors all you really need to look for is a nice tight seal and make sure its lined with spanish cedar. A quality cutter is very important and unless you want to use matches, a nice butane torch lighter is necessary as well. You don't have to spend a fortune but you also don't want to be cheap about it. Xikar makes nice cutters and lighters
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    TheShaun:
    How do I add spaces in my post, so that it's not all one paragraph????
    type or paste &ltbr&gt after each line to get a line break.

As for what else to get, if you're thinking about a 50 ct humidor, buy a 150 ct. It will probably come with an analog hygro, don't rely on it. You can pick up a good digital for under $20. You don't need an expensive lighter, I would suggest one with a single jet/torch flame for ease of use. My free cigar.com lighter works better than my Colibri, and has a bigger tank than my Prometheus.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I have a Xikar lighter and a Colibri, the Xikar was around $25, the Colibri was about $8, both work well. As far as cutters, the Xikar Mean Sardine is around $10 and is a very good cutter, it is all I use unless I want to use a punch for that cigar. As far as the humi, if you are thinking 50, go for a 150, seriously man. You are gonna be suprised at how fast you outgrow the humi. I also highly suggest getting a digital hygrometer, like Scrambler said, you can get a good one for around $20.
    thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
    When you get your 150 count humi, don't forget to get some form of humidification.

The Heartfelt beads seem to be a favorite around here.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As everyone is saying, get one a lot larger than you think you need.

I started with a 15-20. For Father's Day, my wife got me a 100 count. I'm about to get my third!

Besides, you'll need the room once you start seeing the daily deals on ccom.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Hey Shaun. As everyone has said get a bigger humi than you think you'll need. A tight seal and quality workmanship count for more than how it looks on the outside. Heartfelt beads are great for humidity control is almost a set it and forget it kind of deal. I just got a cutter and lighter (with a punch attached to it) from my local B&M want to say together they cost about 30 and I haven't had a problem with either yet. Another thing, If you decide to use the heartfelt beads get about twice as much as they say you need (they have a calculator based on interior dimensions) to have extra moisturizing capacity (means less filling of the beads)
    Wow. Can't believe I forgot about humidity control. Now if I can only get the line break thing to work....
    I looked up the heartfelt beads. There a three different humidity percentages. 60, 65, 70. how do I know what is optimal?
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Btw... Drymistat tubes also work pretty good and you can put them inbetween cigars to even out humidification if you have several layers.... As for me - here is MY story:
    I started by thinking I do not need a humi and can just buy as I want to smoke... Ended up spending too much. Decided to buy a 20 count humi cause I wasn't gonna smoke much. Saw a deal for $45 for a glass top for 100 and jumped on it. Ended up filling this to the BRIM! Ended up quarreling with girlfriend and having to "sell" it all here :)... Got on this forums and boy... was that the biggest mistake according to my wallet. I overfilled it. Got some quality beads, got a digital hygro, Xi2 cutter - good one, more butane, pillows, herf-a-dor... AND two bloody 20 count humidor boxes to let 40 cigars age on the side while my 100 count is at MAX capacity... SO my advice:

Get DOUBLE at least what you think you will need... get a very good QUALITY cutter - no matter if you spend $10 more! Its soooo important - and you dont want to end with two useless ones like me... I got the Xi2 now... get the beads and by G*d man - get a digital hygro!

Cheeers!
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    TheShaun:
    I looked up the heartfelt beads. There a three different humidity percentages. 60, 65, 70. how do I know what is optimal?
    Get the 70 - they will prolly not keep it exactly at seventy anyway - a little below...
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    TheShaun:

I live in GA where it is typically very humid. I got the 65's and they have kept me right around 67% altogether and thats about where I like my smokes. I will probably have to add a little more DISTILLED WATER (no one has said that yet I don't think, distilled water is the only water you should be using) in the winter time.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Shaun,

I agree with Bob here; go with the 65% rH beads. I live in Vegas and it's really dry, but the reality is that the beads are not perfect; damn good but not perfect. That being the case they are going to fluctuate a little bit from time to time. With the 65% beads it will be between 62-68 probably which is about the perfect rH for smoking a cigar. With the 70% it might be between 67-73 which isn't horrible, but too much humidity can lead to mold/or beetles and that's a problem. Good luck and enjoy it!

Rob
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Get the 65% beads. Very few burn issues and cigars taste better.(IMO) Get a Ronson Jet light from Wally world for $2.95. Like every else says, what ever size humi you think you need, triple it.
    leonard:
    Get the 65% beads. Very few burn issues and cigars taste better.(IMO) Get a Ronson Jet light from Wally world for $2.95. Like every else says, what ever size humi you think you need, triple it.
    Well, got my first accessory. The Ronson Jetlite. After seeing the above post, I googled it and found many hit linking to cigar sites/forums. Apparently it's a big hit among the cigar community.

Being from Canada, I knew it wouldn't be $3. I found it on sale at my local Canadian Tire for $10 down from $13. For you Canadians out there (not sure if there are others besides Laker and myself) it was found in their camping section in a locked case. It's also on their website (not listed on sale) so you can check if your store has stock. I got the solid gun metal grey.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    leonard:
    Well, got my first accessory. The Ronson Jetlite. After seeing the above post, I googled it and found many hit linking to cigar sites/forums. Apparently it's a big hit among the cigar community.

Being from Canada, I knew it wouldn't be $3. I found it on sale at my local Canadian Tire for $10 down from $13. For you Canadians out there (not sure if there are others besides Laker and myself) it was found in their camping section in a locked case. It's also on their website (not listed on sale) so you can check if your store has stock. I got the solid gun metal grey.

Hey Shaun, I don't know what your ordering limits are but... if you keep your eye on the home page of C.COM, sometimes they include one of their lighters as a freebie if your order is above $125. Not to mention the free sticks they throw in every one in a while ;)