Home Cigar 101

Freeze Cigars to Kill Worms?

Did anyone ever hear of freezing your cigars when you get them just for an hour to kill any worms in the tobacco?

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Worms? You mean beetles?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Beetles, yes but not for just 1 hr. It takes a few days. You really don't need to do this. Many large online venders do this when they get a shipment. If you are concerned about it you should place them in the refrigerator for 1 day in a tupperware/zip lock bag before moving them into the freezer. When you take them out put them back in the refrigerator for 1 more day to bring them up to temp slowly.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most guys never freeze and never have a problem. Folks say there's nothing to worry about. They are largely correct. The tobacco beetle problem isn't widespread, but I've had them.

Welcome George. It takes more than one hour. There's a lot to learn if you plan on freezing. Properly freezing your cigars can insure that no eggs or larvae survive. That means that at some point in the future you will not have to worry about your cigars having eggs hatch because of a rise in temperature. Warmer temperatures signal the eggs that it's time to hatch and start eating tobacco.

Unfortunately I've learned a lot about tobacco beetles. I got my beetles from a box purchase from a cigar shop. I was lucky and was able to catch it very early. Now I freeze most everything even though the risk may be small. Here's the drill. Ziploc bag the cigars. Squeeze the excess air from the bag. Into the refrigerator for 12 hours. Then into the freezer. Make sure the temperature in the freezer is around zero degrees Fahrenheit. They stay there for 48 to 72 hours. Back into the refrigerator for 12 or 24 hours. then allow to warm to room temperature. Then into the humidor. Now I don't have to worry about the temperature of these cigars in the future. Tobacco beetle eggs can hatch above temps in the mid 70s then even more if it's hotter. I keep my collections separated too. I keep a stash of cigars that I don't freeze separate from the majority of my stash which I do freeze. Remember, before you smoke them, let the cigars rest in your humidor for a couple of weeks after freezing.

There's lots of info on this subject here on this site and on other sites. Google it.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That's always painful to watch.. Now I have to go check my cigars...
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    How do you expect me to sleep now after watching that?