Home Cigar 101

What am I doing wrong? Smoking the Avo Maduro.

Last night I lit up an Avo Maduro pyramid.  Every review I read about this smoke was fantastic.  Plus it looked great!  The toothy wrapper, sheeny oils, great heft...  Wow!

I took it out of my humidor where it was resting for 3 or 4 weeks.  I clipped about 1/4 inch off the foot and took a test draw.  So far so good.

I took my time toasting the foot, then slowly rotated the cigar taking two slow drags.  The stogie puffed beautifully, erupting like a volcano!

For the first 1/3 it was perfect.  Volumes of smoke, great tobacco flavor.  I was in heaven.

As I sat on my porch, I noticed a disturbing trend setting in:

1) I would take a puff.
2) Wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3) Take another puff.  This time there would be barely any smoke.
4) Immediately take another puff.  A little more smoke.
5) Immediately take another puff.  Now we're back to normal.
6) See step 2.

I have a Spanish cedar lined humidor with that
propylene glycol solution.  My hygrometer reads 68 - 71% humidity.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1/4 inch off the foot? you must mean head... what shape is this cigar? 1/4 inch seems a bit much if its a parejo.

i know your hygrometer says 68-71 but it sounds like you have too much humidity. was this the cigar sitting right under the humidification device?

on a side note...
    i think the AVO maduro is the worst out of the AVO line. it doesnt seem to have the complexity that most of the other AVOs have. .... and usually i prefer a good maduro.
  • FractalFractal Posts: 11
    It might have been sitting under the humidification device.  I don't remember.  How should I handle this in the future?  Rotate my cigars?  How often?  Top-to-bottom?  Front-to-back?
    buy heartfelt humidity beads.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    buy heartfelt humidity beads.
    bingo...

seems like there have been a few folks having issues with humidity. I think the ambient humidity outside could cause some issues with how cigars smoke. I'm not sure if you were smoking outdoors, but around my neck of the woods, the relative humidity has been 80-100% for a while now. I know when I'm feeling the "hot and sticky" the cigar probably is too.
    great point there bb!

that is a giant factor. usually one that i would catch. i had just this problem while sitting on the porch today. (sancho panza extra fuerte from 04)