Home Cigar 101
Options

New Lighter help

I just bought a colibri firebird lighter and when I tried refilling it for the first time I wasn't able to get the dang thing to work, I've tried everything, but it doesn't seem like any butane is actually going into the lighter. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Did you try an initial purge? I've gotten lighters that were new but still had to be purged before filling. Give that a shot and see if it works for you.
  • Options
    T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    I have tried purging it several times and nothing comes out. thanks though
  • Options
    Hmm...maybe you just have one of the famed "Colibri failures". I can't think of much else that could be the problem...send it back.
  • Options
    does the nib on the butane fit the refill valve on the lighter?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I know that on the Xikar Torch I have, I have to turn the valve down to the lowest setting before it will accept any fuel.

My Colibri(SP) doesn't care how the valve is set prior to filling but the Xikar sure does.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same deal. I got a Colibri and could not get it to fill. I did everything you're supposed to do - turned it all the way down, purged it, etc. I would get one light out of it and that was all.
    I returned it and got Xikar and I'm very happy with it. I guess with Colibri, it'**** or miss.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:

I returned it and got Xikar and I'm very happy with it. I guess with Colibri, it'**** or miss.
    this right here about sums it up.
  • Options
    T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    So I brought the faulty lighter in to the store where I bought and got a replacement free of charge and so far it works. If I have problems again I am just going to ask for a full refund and get something else.
  • Options
    got a question too. my lighter works fine and all but as soon as i try to torch the cigar it goes out. no matter what everytime the flame gets close to the cigar it goes out. any reason why it would do that???
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    T. Gervais:
    So I brought the faulty lighter in to the store where I bought and got a replacement free of charge and so far it works. If I have problems again I am just going to ask for a full refund and get something else.
    I have a firebird and it works fine, so far my most favorite lighter... Nice big cannister and perfect flame
  • Options
    kevster77:
    got a question too. my lighter works fine and all but as soon as i try to torch the cigar it goes out. no matter what everytime the flame gets close to the cigar it goes out. any reason why it would do that???
    Maybe the light has some moral objection to burning a cigar? Or you're not smoking good cigars and the lighter has a superiority complex? :)

I don't know, that's an odd one and I don't quite know what the problem could be.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kevster77:
    Maybe the light has some moral objection to burning a cigar? Or you're not smoking good cigars and the lighter has a superiority complex? :)

I don't know, that's an odd one and I don't quite know what the problem could be.
    I'd play around with the intensity of the flame.... Too much or too little can actually blow itself out and make for some tough lighting.