Home Pipes

Where is the best place to purchase a decent poker

BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
I have recently been looking into adding to my pipe collection and I want a stubby poker that holds a decent amount in the bowl. Anybody got any suggestions/good experiences with pokers? My price range is going to have to stay under $100.00

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Pipesandcigars.com has some pokers under 100.00 if their not sold out.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    You might try ebay. Good pipes can be found if you are willing to shop a little.
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Currently bidding on a couple right now. Some of these pipes are so beutiful!
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Be careful of the really ornate ones from China and Ukraine.
    this one in particular is usa made.
    Thank you guys for all of your help! I won this last night off eBay.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Holy Hell, now that's a poker! Nice find!
    Very nice find indeed.
    I fell in love with it when I first layer eyes on it. Now I need some good recommendations on tobacco to burn down in it when I get it!!!!
    I don't like aromatics that much btw ^^^^
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm liking the C&D Pirate Kake, and it looks like that pipes personality would be a good fit.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Is it a new or used pipe? Sometimes, an estate pipe will have a lingering ghost. If that is the case either a strong lat. blend like Amos suggested or following the genre of the previous smoker works best. I don't like aros either. I do like Pirate Kake, a good heavy lat. blend but I also like Gawith and Hoggarth's Kendal KY, which is a straight dark fired burley (I love burley and VA/Bur blends). It too is also a strong blend, good nic. hit too. What do you like right now? I have only been smoking a pipe for a little more than 3 years now but I have tried quite a few blends. Let me know and I should be able to at least tell you what I like that is similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    If you breaking in a new pipe I always like to use Frogmorton On the Town, but the Original works really great as well. You can't go wrong with a nice Greg Pease blend too, something like Abington or Westminster. I also like McClellands Blue Mountain for a nice Lat bomb.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    That looks like the kind of pipe to smoke "Walt's Gloucester" in. Hopefully soon it will be made available to forum members.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    That looks like the kind of pipe to smoke "Walt's Gloucester" in. Hopefully soon it will be made available to forum members.
    I think I'd like that! Sounds like a plan.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I am going to break it in with Frog Morton "on the bayou" .
    Bamablows:
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I am going to break it in with Frog Morton "on the bayou" .
    You might consider the fact that it has perique in it. It is only a small amount but it is noticeable. Perique will ghost so unless you are planning on using the pipe for Lat./perique blends only that might play a small factor in your decision. Just a thought. Honestly, A few bowls here or there would not hurt most likely.
    J.S.:
    Bamablows:
    You might consider the fact that it has perique in it. It is only a small amount but it is noticeable. Perique will ghost so unless you are planning on using the pipe for Lat./perique blends only that might play a small factor in your decision. Just a thought. Honestly, A few bowls here or there would not hurt most likely.

I am still quite new to the pipe game, if that's what you want to call it so I was un aware about the perique. But I love Frog on the bayou and I can for sure taste something different in it from some of the other tobaccos I have packed. I guess its sort of a trial and error thing for me now until I can find something that fits perfectly.