Home Pipes

Flavor changes with moisture levels? (final update)

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I got a tin of Honey & Chocolate tobacco... It was pretty dry. Was too eager and tried smoking a bowl when I got home. It was HORRID! Does a tobaccos flavor change depending on how moist it is?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Dry pipe tobacco will burn hotter and produce less smoke. Think of a campfire. You want to find dry wood so it burns easy and is less smoky. The same for pipe tobacco. Dry grass burns hot and little smoke. wet grass smolders and produces much smoke.
    To a minor affect how you pack your pipe also has an effect.
    The tobacco should have a "feel" to it in your fingers, not dry and not moist. Pinch a little between your thumb and forefinger. If it crumbles apart when you let go it is too dry. It should tend to hang together a few moments and slowly unwind itself. Too moist will be a poor burning issue and a gurgling bowl. Moist tobacco produces rich smoke which is where the taste is. Dry tobacco produces charred tobacco with not so good taste.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Charre is a good description to what I was tasting. It didn't hold together at all when pinched. Lol well into a jar with some humi pillows for a couple days I guess.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Charre is a good description to what I was tasting. It didn't hold together at all when pinched. Lol well into a jar with some humi pillows for a couple days I guess.

Humi pillows is a good move I use them as well though I usually remove the outer cover to allow faster transfer.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    That's odd that an aro was that dry. I would let it sit for a couple of days and bring it up to the feel that Walt was talking about. If it was very dry, to the point that it just turns to dust when you handle it, it may be too far gone. I would call the company you bought it from if it was that bad jus to let them know.
    It's not crumbling to dust. It still holds its original shape. I would have been on the phone with the company in a heartbeat if it were. Lol I'll give it a few days and revisit it.
    LiquidChaos66:
    It's not crumbling to dust. It still holds its original shape. I would have been on the phone with the company in a heartbeat if it were. Lol I'll give it a few days and revisit it.
    That's a good sign. You can bring it back to good smoking condition and not lose any flavor. If it is still holding its shape it has not lost all of the essential oils so it will be fine.
    Update... This is a slooooow process. I get in the jars every 2-3 days to give it a stir and get the moisture mixed in. Still pretty dry. It's killin me cause it smells so damn good! Might end up spritzing it down with distilled water as opposed to the water pillows.
    Spritzing is ok as long as you don't saturate it'
    Spritz whole leaves to work with them and prevent cracking and breaking.
    That's why I remove the outer bag off the pillows to maximize the amount of hum to escape the actual pillow.
    You can also place it on a tray and spritz or use a new sponge with distilled water in it. Just cover it with a paper towel. The towel can also be spritzed too to help.
    Sorry, I should have also said to just place the sponge on the tray, don't let the tobacco touch it.
    Finally got it to a good moisture level... Packed my churchwarden, sat out in the sun on my porch, lit my pipe while enjoying a delicate breeze... and it TASTED HORRID! lol was not a fan. im gonna revisit it next week... maybe the chemistry in my mouth was off... blech.... didnt smell that great either. Oh well... you win some and you lose some... but you live... you life to smoke another day.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Finally got it to a good moisture level... Packed my churchwarden, sat out in the sun on my porch, lit my pipe while enjoying a delicate breeze... and it TASTED HORRID! lol was not a fan. im gonna revisit it next week... maybe the chemistry in my mouth was off... blech.... didnt smell that great either. Oh well... you win some and you lose some... but you live... you life to smoke another day.
    Win some. Loose some. LOL
    Not much you can do with it now. My guess is that it will never be worth trying many more times. We have all been there and tried to bring back something but there is no reason to put yourself through trying it again. I have done that, it does not change. I would just clean the pipe throw it out and smoke something you like.
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    I have had this issue with some pipe tobacco I have recently purchased as well except right the opposite, mine was far too moist I think. I love the tobacco because I have had it quite a few times before (p.s. bullseye flake) but this go around it was way too moist when I purchased it in bulk and I have been having burning issues, pipe gurgle, and it bites something awful. Can you dry it out for a better experience ? or will that just make me have the same trouble he is having ^ ?
    I would dry a little at a time. Take out a bowl and allow it to sit in the air for about 20 min. Then see how it feels. Most pipe tobacco actually needs a little drying time anyway. You will not hurt it doing it this way. I have had some that took an hr. before it was right to smoke.