Home Cigar 101

Xikar Puro-Temp 832XL Problems.

dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, I just got a new Xikar Puro-Temp Hygrometer and right out of the box it seems bad...

I have tried calibrating it using both the salt test method and an actual Boveda Cal kit and i have had no luck what so ever... it just sits right around 68% rh all the time.

I have pulled battery out, and then re-tested, tried a new battery and still nuthing. The instructions say that the unit has auto calibrate function but i dont see how.

Am I doing something wrong? Looking for advice or others experiance before i mail it back.

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it the silver one? I picked one up by accident last week and it does not have the calibrate button, the black ones do and the box says adjustable on it. mine zeroed out at 75% rh after 36 hrs thou, if yours didn't / does'nt send it back!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Is it the silver one? I picked one up by accident last week and it does not have the calibrate button, the black ones do and the box says adjustable on it. mine zeroed out at 75% rh after 36 hrs thou, if yours didn't / does'nt send it back!
    yup the silver one without a cal button. won it on auction under the assumption (stupid me) that it had a cal function. being a Xikar I figured how could it be bad?

I will be mailing that turkey back! but i figured its best to ask for help/advise before the trip.

• lonniekt1966lonniekt1966 Posts: 80
    A few weeks ago I got a replacement one without the calibration button and it won't go above 66% with the salt test. Also be aware that some with the calibration button have a glitch in them. What happens is after pushing the Cali button and it resets to 75%, after 10-15sec it will go from 75 to 68 instantly. Just something to be aware of. I'll be returning my new one next week.
    lonniekt1966:
    A few weeks ago I got a replacement one without the calibration button and it won't go above 66% with the salt test. Also be aware that some with the calibration button have a glitch in them. What happens is after pushing the Cali button and it resets to 75%, after 10-15sec it will go from 75 to 68 instantly. Just something to be aware of. I'll be returning my new one next week.

so you are having the exact same issue that mine had! seems like this auto cal is a load of crap!

NOPE! got the new one, even called Xikar to make sure i was doing this right when i started the RH salt test. 36 hours later. it is still 7% off. New battery........ Still 7% off. Okay..... punk.... Boveda Cal Kit... Nope still 7% off and no way to cal... its "Autocal"

moral of story? COMPLETE JUNK. Not impressed with this unit after alll i have raved and praised from Xikar.

I dont even want to get a refund or anything... im too dissapointed to care!

Aj
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    NOPE! got the new one, even called Xikar to make sure i was doing this right when i started the RH salt test. 36 hours later. it is still 7% off. New battery........ Still 7% off. Okay..... punk.... Boveda Cal Kit... Nope still 7% off and no way to cal... its "Autocal"

moral of story? COMPLETE JUNK. Not impressed with this unit after alll i have raved and praised from Xikar.

I dont even want to get a refund or anything... im too dissapointed to care!

Aj

Maybe I'm missing something since I don't ever use electronic humidifiers, or maybe I read it wrong, but if it's simply reading 7rh points off, yeah that's not really acceptable for a xikar, but why not just remember in your head the offset numbers and remember to set your rh setpoint to say 61rh for it to be truly holding your humi at 68rh? Or 7 higher but I believe you're saying it reads 7 rh low. Or am I missing something? Especially if you salt tested it and verified when you have the setting at 68 it's actually 75, so just subtract and put it at 60 to theoretically achieve 67 to 68 rh. After that, I would call and demand a refund since you went thru 2 units and all the hassle, they deserve to let you keep it for free and return most or all of your payment.
  • blurr:
    t why not just remember in your head the offset numbers and remember to set your rh setpoint to say 61rh for it to be truly holding your humi at 68rh? Or 7 higher but I believe you're saying it reads 7 rh low. Or am I missing something? Especially if you salt tested it and verified when you have the setting at 68 it's actually 75.
    I took a label maker and made a small label that I attached to my xikar hygrometer that reads "sub 2" to remind me to subtract 2%. I has 65% boveda packs just sitting there, and at 65% the xikar was 2% High. That was easier than fooling with a salt test. I run my humi at 65%. For all I know, it may be accurate at 70%. These little cheapies aren't lab instruments and only give a rough idea anyhow. I suspect their errors may not be linear.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Yeah I believe the same thing, that you can only assume a linear correlation within a few points of rh. All the hygros I have read within 1 to 4 rh after calibrating so I'm fairly confident its a directly linear relation within that short range. However, it may be possible that getting that far away (-7rh) its no longer a direct offset. He can always throw it in a bag with some 65, 68, 70 or whatever boveda packs to be more certain at a setpoint closer to what his desired or running RH will be. Just mean I wouldn't go thru all the hassle of a 3rd reship back, deal with customer service, get a refund, get another unit shipped to replace it, when that unit will most likely have the same failure. Sounds like an issue inherent to this model, and i'm guessing its discontinued because of said issue.
    well, i know that i can remember the offset... which i do, but the point of buying the Xikar was that i wanted perfection. I can easily see all of my hygros... and all are older model Xikars. All are spot on with a 6 week cal PM schedule. so now I have 6 nice, spot on hygros... and one dummy thats 7% off in the corner. it doesnt look nice. im just picky like that.

Now, I suppose I should *** up Xikar for all the trouble... and the fact that i went through the trouble to get the second one and had faith they would have a superior product... not quite the case. Im kinda on the let Karma get them at this point... only cause i am like really trying to get past being angry for little things like this. But i wanted others to know that Xikar has adopted this "Auto Cal" technology and all models of Hygros will be made in this fashion from here on out. SO BUYER BEWARE>

Aj